November 15, 2018, 02:13:38 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Has anyone ever written a one Page synopsis of an overall story arc?  (Read 252 times)

Offline Coldmiser8675

• View Profile
Hello there, fellow Raiders. It's been a long time, and part of that reason is that I've been in school, doing work, and cooperating with someone on creating a comic series. We've originally decided to self publish, but it wouldn't hurt to submit to some publishers--why not, right? Besides, I think all the work would help me personally get better direction for where I want my story to go. So, I've been looking at, say, Image comics, and they want a one page synopsis of the overall story, not just the first issue or first arc. Everything. Have any writers here ever created a one page synopsis like this? And if so, could you give me some pointers on how you managed to condense such a huge amount of plot and story and spoilers on one flippin page?

Your help would be very appreciated.
Check out my story! Honey, Stalin Took the Kids >>http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,13888.0.html

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever written a one Page synopsis of an overall story arc?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
Well I use an edited version of the snowflake method for eh... shortening/simplifying the plot. I use a flow chart rather than a written page, but the principals should be the same. Mostly the biggest difference is that I use a different story structure than the 3-Act structure since it's not well suited to series type stories (I'll include a link to a thread I wrote about this).

Here's the link to the snowflake method.
https://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/

And here's my thoughts on the 3-Act Structure when it comes to comics. http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,16017.msg259295.html#msg259295

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:36:40 PM »
I mean, my opinion on the matter, which isn't worth much, is that if you can't explain the main points of your story in one page, you've probably overcomplicated everything. Just look at Homestuck and how big of a mess it is. It can't be explained easily, and that's a direct result of being written so poorly.

Usually I try to avoid this by keeping the story on board with one idea. I scrapped my old story a long time ago because it had too many ideas being thrown together like a bad stir fry. Don't try to do too much. Just keep your eye on that one idea and bring it full circle, and the story typically writes itself.

I tend to write outlines for every chapter, which include things like worldbuilding and some dialogue samples, and then transfer that to the full thing.

It was once described to me that the summary of your story should be like a bone. You can worry about all the meat while writing it, but the bone gives it the basic shape. Gotta have a good set of bones to hold up the meat, though.

All of these metaphors and examples are probably absolutely useless, but if they help, I've done my job.

Offline Crackhead Johny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »
All of my characters sit on a couch drinking until their livers explode.
There we go, 10 book description.