November 18, 2018, 05:20:11 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Digital Vs Traditional Art  (Read 743 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Vs Traditional Art
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
I find digital harder to set up than traditional. I have to find my tablet, make sure it's plugged in, gotta find the pen, run some pressure tests, make sure the hotkeys work, gotta open the art program, gotta test to make sure it's working with the tablet, gotta reboot the computer sometimes if restarting the program doesn't work...

Have I mentioned that I have a very personal grudge against digital?

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 07:02:59 PM »
What's it like drawing on a tablet compared to a traditional sketchbook? Does it feel smooth? Easy to work with? No differences at all really?
Messatsu...

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »
In my experience,

DEATH.

I hate working on tablets, man.

Offline MK

• Super Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018, 07:45:26 PM »
@Fronomenal
I love my tablet so much more than traditional.  For sketching I use a thicker brush that way I can get nice shapes in quickly before I refine them down in details.  I'm using pretty much the cheapest wacom tablet but my lines are ctrl-z, ctrl-z, ctrl-z, ctrl-z, smooth.  At first it was really hard not drawing what you see but now ctrl-z, ctrl-z, it feels pretty easy.

@MahluaandMilk
Yet you seem to be drawing in digital all the time.  I think you can skip a lot of the tablet work if you just keep your tablet plugged in all the time (I actually got usb splitters for that reason).

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
@MK My computer doesn't have that kind of power. Literally if I have my headset plugged in and I proceed to plug in my tablet, my headset stops working and the computer automatically switches back to inset output. The only reason I'm drawing so much in digital is because it's easier to share on the spot. I don't have a scanner, and my phone camera quality is garbage, plus I have to upload it to Google Drive, wait for it to sync to my laptop (which has taken literally DAYS before), and then I can post a traditional piece.

But honestly I'm starting to get so fed up with Krita and my tablet that I might just start going back to traditional anyway. Between my hardware not being anywhere near powerful enough to run a good art program and my tablet sometimes just not working and the software lagging all the time...it just sucks all the fun out of art, and if I can't enjoy the act of creation, then what's it supposed to mean to me?

Online suuper-san

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 12:04:44 PM »
I honestly don't use Undo, like ever. Maybe once a drawing. I started drawing in pen so I would not have the option to erase, and get it right first time (like that ever worked)

I get what you mean about setting up time, although for casual sketching,I keep it simple, like I just use the same brush, ever. I dont even have the dialogs open, so I use single layer, same colour, same size etc. Just like a normal pen, really. So that means i probably prefer traditional because I am trying to use my tablet like a really expensive ballpoint pen T_T

@MK i get what you mean about the repeated undo before a good line. I experienced that a lot before I upgraded from my cheap tablet, probably because of the small work area, but possibly because of many things.

@mahlua sorry about the low power PC. Maybe an upgrade rather than a new one would be in order, although I can't say much about upgrading since I can only change a hard drive :P
youre best bet is to get something better soon if you can afford it, otherwise as you say, you lose time and fun.

"good art program", is incredibly objective although I totally know what you mean. try working at a lower resolution if you can stand the pixels, this will help your RAM usage, and may help to improve your speed. or try and find a free program that specializes in lower PC specs (even good old MS Paint might be worth a try). Many websites have optimization ideas for each program that you might use. I imagine you have tried a bunch of things already. I have even considered writing my own art program for at least 5 years now :P good workflow is also a help, like reducing layer count etc.

traditional is your best bet if its going hard, as paper and pen wont suddenly crash and you lose the last hour of work :P
but watch out for coffee cups @_@

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »
Yeah, MSPaint never gave me any trouble. It's always those high end fancy-shmancy programs.That does give me an idea--to simply start working in MSPaint. (I swear I'm not being Lego's clone on purpose...)

I also don't rely as heavily on the undo tool unless there's a weird pen pressure or other kind of error. I just use the eraser tool to flesh things out better. Maybe it's because I'm also used to working with ballpoint pens and pigment liners for sketches. There's a certain value, I think, in challenging yourself to not use the undo command.

Offline drntreasre

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 10:10:03 PM »
traditional is much better in my opinion and looks like it has much more work put into it

Online suuper-san

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 02:52:10 AM »
I think using the eraser instead of undo makes the piece more natural, in a way. it depends a lot on the artist and it certainly can be a challenge to not use it. nowadays I do a lineart-cleaning phase with an eraser, and this in turn makes me feel more comfortable inking knowing that I'll be removing an mistakes later, so my lines are more fluid I think.

I have considered switching to MSPaint many a time, but I think the workflow I've got is quite suited to me and I dont want to mess it up haha.