September 26, 2018, 02:19:51 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: MRverse: Personal Favorites  (Read 499 times)

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
MRverse: Personal Favorites
« on: June 23, 2018, 10:31:32 PM »
Was thinking about MRverse today and my brain led me to the idea of sharing with everyone my personal favorite MR Canons that I've read and enjoyed over the years of me being active in this community.

Aside from simply naming them, I will also be explaining why I liked these stories so much in particular. There is no set number or order by the way.

Spoiler
"Darling Be Home Soon"

I think this was the very first MR Canon by Coryn that I've read all the way through if memory serves me correctly, and is one of the only few MR Canon I've read all the way through on two separate occasions. One being at the time when Coryn originally posted it, and the other being a revisit to the story a year or two later after it concluded.

Aside from the feeling of a shonen level narrative that I think Coryn did a good job of portraying, the reason why I liked this story so much was the fact that this story in particular featured MRverse's first, and quite honestly only real villainous threat to it's universe in the form of "C-Kret." For those who don't know how savage C-Kret was, just know he molly whopped just about every raider there was at the time, including our beloved admin, Hasith. It's definitely a classic in terms of Canon stories, and one I would recommend to anyone who are looking into dive into MRverse and it's stories for the first time.

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,4709.0.html

"Dystopic Blades" 1 and 2

As much as I wanna hate on Lego for thinking he has a better afro than me, it would be a crime to leave any of his stories off the list. The Dystopic Blades series is a game story involving community participation, mathematical equations and number crunching on Lego’s end, and a whole lot of swords and bloodshed. That last sentence in particular is why I enjoyed reading this story so much. While Dystopic Blades did have a story to follow, it was the nonstop action between combatining raiders that kept me hooked, and I’m proud to have gotten a chance to participate in its second installment (Although I’m still a little salty that I didn’t get a chance to punch anyone in the face). Definitely check this series out for sure if you’re interested in MRverse.

Dystop 1: http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,4199.0.html
Dystop 2: http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,6308.0.html

“SVK - A Story of Awesome”

This was a unfinished piece written by AnimeDoodler long ago when I was still a newbie on the site. This story made it to the list simply because of one little fun fact: This was the first MR story (from my knowledge) that I made an appearance in, and one of the first canon stories that drew me into the universe. The story revolves around hero members, Coryn, Doodler, Monsterful, Aero, Robs Ugly Artwork,  Lego and Toasty, conducting a training experiment with newbie members, Nyxy, Nyosan and myself, with the goal of the experiment being to skyrocket the newbs into instant hero status. While it’s not officially established canon according to canon rules, it definitely holds a special place in my heart and is still a whole lot of fun to read if you ask me.

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,4967.msg104771.html#msg104771

LittRL’s origin story

This may come as a surprise to some, but Litt’s origin story is definitely one of the more interesting pieces of canon if you ask me. Detailing Litt’s return to the city after a long hiatus, it is filled with a lot of interesting tidbits of universe info that really expands on the Net’s origins. The real kicker for me however, was that this story may have been a setup for an even grander story that Litt may have been planning to write. And while Litt’s absence may mean that we will never see this story come to life, he definitely did a good job of leaving a lot of doors open for future canon writers to play with.

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,5074.msg169109.html#msg169109

"Hence Tenderly Returned"

A romance story written by Mahluaaand Milk, and the first ever MR romance canon to date. Based on a real life relationship that Mahlua shared with another member on the site, it is filled with plenty of happy, yet sad moments that will certainly give even the most manliest of men the “feels.” This story was a nice change of pace from the usual stories I’m used to reading from the canon, and I think it does a damn good job of portraying the realness of an actual relationship, and just how much of an emotional roller coaster it can be.

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,16491.0.html

There’s more I probably want to add, but for now these are the stories that sort of stick out to me. 

Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: MRverse: Personal Favorites
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 11:39:17 PM »
I'm honored to have a made the list! Too be perfectly honest, Darling is still (in my humble opinion) the closest I've ever come to writingy platonic ideal for what an MR story should be. And it definitely marks the beginning of what was to be a grand trilogy concerning everyone's favorite 4Kids agent, Azazel.

Or course, they just had to go and go bankrupt, before reorganizing into a much less sinister sounding name, but we can always dream of what might be. I do plan to finish it at some point, but I'm still waiting for my mysterious conditions to be met.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 02:19:17 PM »
I love how most of the ones you posted are stories I haven't finished or looked at, lol. MRverse is just so huge, and it's hard on my attention span to sit and read for long periods (despite how much I write).

I figured I'd be on the list simply by writing so much (or at least it feels like I have, but DOTS has me beat for all its contributors). It's odd to me that so many people love HTR though. Should I write more romance? Is that what you guys want?

(To answer the main topic question my favorite stories are all of the Great After-Christmas Panty Raids. Every single one.)

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »
@Coryn: Totally agree with you on that. While I do love the random fun stories that most of the canon tend to be, I do want the canon to go into a more serious (But still fun of course) overarching story that really define our characters and universe in an interesting way. I want the universe to expand outside of MR City, I want our characters to have real legitimate backstories that defines our characters and highlight our goals (Hence, what I've been attempting with my character in Drifter). I felt like Darling was the first instance of this.

@Sis: I would've felt bad if I let you out lol. Especially considering the amount of work you put in for the canon. How the hell did you even get interested in MRverse in the first place? What drew you in initially?

And in regards to your story, I think its uniqueness of a story that sets it apart from other canons, including your own. You really don't see romance in the canon being written like that (Which is understandable because it would put a lot of different people in awkward spots and just make them feel downright uncomfortable most likely). So seeing you tear down that barrier and do it in a way that made it feel genuine and natural really took me by surprise.     
Messatsu...

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
What, you mean like Lego's bizarre shipping of Coryn and Doodler? :sure: Yeah, if we hadn't been in an actual relationship it'd be a little awkward, I"m sure.

I have been thinking about ways to make the canon more connected to other things. I have some plot things out to explain some of my haituses, and the fact that Ecchiverse is becoming a thing seems to show some promise for universe expansion. I also have notes for a possible AU in which the Science Division and Righteous Science Division finally break off and the Science Division and its supporters go into space. One of the notes is just:
">Shenanigans ensue.
>>Spam Ninjas...IN SPACE."

We'll see what all I come up with after I finish this diddly-darn ecchiverse story. I didn't mean to make it out to be like 20 chapters but when do us writers ever really get what we want? >:/

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 05:04:28 PM »
Yeah, that's exactly the example I was thinking of....  :glare:

Oh god, spam ninjas in space.  :ohmy:

Also, it's worth mentioning that we've never exactly covered what's up there. Each site is sorta it's own little dimension to itself, so I always just imagined it'd be like that old belief about how the stars are just like, painted on in this big sphere that surrounds the world. Except like, funnier?

If y'all are wanting the universe to expand, just keep up with Quest!. I'm pulling out all the stops on that. Although Fro, while I do have very high hopes for Quest! also being similar to that platonic ideal I mentioned earlier, I'm afraid it'll come out a little too funny for your tastes. Given what you just explained. Still, maybe that's just because I'm shooting for it to be more over the top than anything else I've written into the canon so far. (Well, maybe excepting the Raids)

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
Ah, maybe serious was the wrong word then. I'm actually looking forward to what you got in store for Quest! I'm not sure of how to put it, but I think I just want a sort of eventual grand narrative that's been setup by members playing off of each other's stories. Actually, I've always fancied the idea of all the canon writers getting together and creating an epic, badass, once in a lifetime MRverse story that will push the universe way beyond it's limits. Think The Great Raid and Day of thousand styles, but with an Arc structured story with different raiders handling the story's direction, but still keeping a form of consistency. That's definitely something I wanna see happen one day.
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 07:57:37 PM »
Well, you know where to find all us canon authors.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
I was actually wondering earlier if we could ever find a way to self-publish without being brought down by weird copyright rules and considering the fact that we can't just put that little disclaimer that any likeness to people and events is entirely fictional and yada yada. I just think it'd be neat to compile everything into a physical hard copy booklet. I was also debating earlier on if I wanted to solely focus my art in an MRverse direction, just to see if I can pick up on the path that Doodler and Lego forged with comics.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 09:04:15 PM »
Well, there's also the sticking point of where it's kinda a communal property, so it get's sticky no matter what angle you approach it from.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 09:09:55 PM »
Yeah, makes it easy to create content but not exactly to sell it in any form or fashion.

Although if someone finds a way to make and produce Doodler Paint they can take my money idgaf.

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »
I know close to jack sh*t about the MRverse other than what I've come across while poking around in my off time considering I've been around for such a tiny period of time, but a massive story with everyone involved taking part in some plot-fueled adventure sounds wicked! I did something similar with a group of people I was close to, and it took forever and things went this way and that way and all, but it was worth it. It honestly sounds like you'll have a ton of fun with it when it comes to fruition. It'll definitely be worth reading!

I mean, the rest of the MRverse stories I've poked my nose into are too, but you get my point.
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »
I mean we could always make 2018's Raid even bigger and more stupid (I mean epic...) with more collaborators. I am 500% here for that.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 09:25:40 PM »
We once did a massive collaboration of that scope a long time ago, and we kinda crashed and burned, but hey, we were young and stupid.

It worked out well with last year's Raid, but that still took months of planning (I think we started in september).

If I were to make a suggestion (and I'm not saying that I am), this thing would have to have a set and fairly limited number of people working on it directly. Too many chef's spoil the broth, and that holds true here as well. There would need to be a good chain of command and organization, so people aren't stepping on toes, and also going off of my experience with the Raid and DOTS, the basic story should be set up before hand, but then let people sorta do their own thing in turns, so that you can build off of what others have done, while still keeping on the same course.

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
Honestly, collabs like this need to be planned out really well for a good, polished product. You need to have leaders, set worlds, rules, plots, etc, even if it's just to keep everything in line. On that project I mentioned, the group I was with started off all over the place, and it took a few months for me to step up and put in some basic rules and worldbuilding and plot, but things worked out from there on. Mostly.

I agree with the set number of people with it, but I think based on background knowledge of things like this that it's super circumstantial. I mean, I could ramble on about the organization of how things could happen and who could potentially do what because I love planning things like this, but it really isn't my place to do so. I guess my opinion on it all would be to have a handful of people very well versed with the world come up with a loose plot, figure out who wants in and have some civilized, open-minded conversations from there. Assuming it'd be some big thing, there are lots of possibilities!

That was a bit of a spiel. Oops. My bad.
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D