September 25, 2018, 03:42:08 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Critique Center  (Read 266 times)

Offline MK

• Super Critic
    • View Profile
Critique Center
« on: June 23, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
So I've been through nearly everyone's art and a lot of times I don't know if they want a critique or not.  I wanted to make this thread to know which people want critiques because I know not everyone does want them, sometimes it might feel like someone is trying to insult your art if you've never had one before.

For those who truly want to improve as fast as they can, then critiques are the best way to do that.  Critiques help because they point out the mistakes you make that you might have not known about and/or how to improve on them.  Even professional artists admit that critiques will sometimes save you years of practice just by pointing out a flaw that they might have.  Just remember, critiques are there to help you and to accept critiques from anyone no matter their level because they might be more knowledgeable about certain topics (although having a higher skill level does allow people to make more precise critiques)

I'm not saying you can't get better without critiques, just that they really speed up the process.  Anyways leave your gallery link or post pictures that you want critiqued below if you are interested.

Offline devola

• View Profile
Re: Critique Center
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 01:46:24 PM »
I totally get what you mean, it's really hard sometimes because people can naturally become defensive when it comes to getting their work critiqued. I actually find it useful for me to critique other people's work since it helps me think about things in my own work too but I'm always worried about whether or not they want a critique.

That being said, I try to view critiques as something that's always helpful, even if I don't always take the advice for whatever reason. Someone is going out of their way to give me feedback which I appreciate. Which means, if you want to critique my work in my gallery, be my guest, any and all critique is always appreciated by me!

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 03:13:01 PM »
Thats a fair point. Some users aren't looking to become super artists - they just want to share their work, so critique of that level can be hurtful if they don't want or expect it. Alternatively, thinking someone won't want critique and not giving it can cause a problem if they really did want it to improve :P

Perhaps the best way might be a message in ones signature "Please critique my work, I want to improve" kinda thing
Or the opposite, "I'm a casual artist, please don't critique my work"

but I am also up for critique on any of my work, although my momentum is so slow lately I already know my drawings a gonner before I get past 1 minute of drawing :P

@devola yeah in pointing out others mistakes you often find your own. I can agree with that.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »
Lmao I don't have room in my signature for that kinda thing anymore but by all means please rip my art a new asshole. As long as you can explain to me what's wrong and why it doesn't work, chances are I'll probably listen. (If I can't understand what's wrong with it, though, I'll still say thanks and proceed to work on other things or ask a bunch of questions until I do understand what you meant.)

Offline MK

• Super Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 04:20:01 AM »
I'm glad that you are all open to criticism and I hope I can help out (though sometimes it will be hard for me to find things to criticize).  Anyways I will definitely get more critiques out tomorrow

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »
Over the past couple years, I've built up a thick skin to critiques on my art from being an art major. Me and my classmates have to talk about each others work before the professors will give their opinions/advice when we hang up our projects before they're collected to be graded. Going to be extremely rough this semester though. I'm taking an area studies class. In area studies during midterms and finals you have to be critiqued by every art professor in the building at the same time and they do not hold back for these. (I'm going to be ripped to shreds haha...)

Most of what goes into my gallery is wips. That said, I'd be open to critiques on them or finished pieces.

Gallery Link:
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,11730.0.html

Offline MK

• Super Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 03:01:50 PM »
@Robin Ryuu
Art school is scary stuff for sure.  I'll get on yours after i finish Devola's stuff when I wake up