March 29, 2024, 12:56:44 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What do you want to see something new in anime?  (Read 19584 times)

Offline shinobispiral

• my spirit animal is the UWU face
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want to see something new in anime?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 07:17:47 AM »
them not saying the attack move EVERY time

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
I felt like I was supposed to have sympathy for him
Quite a few characters in a lot of animes fall into this "sympathy character" setting, but yeah the authors sometimes struggle to actually make us feel bad for them. Sometimes I'm literally rooting for the bad guy lol

them not saying the attack move EVERY time
Actually I can sometimes deal with that. Probably depends on the anime or the attack name itself. Sometimes the name of the attack is like the chant/spell for it, like the attack spells in Bleach, which helps to make it less cringe worthy.

Something else that gets me annoyed, but sort of can't be helped is that in a group setting (ie classroom) there is always ONE AND ONLY ONE OF EVERYTHING, such as a class will always have one otaku, one library/quiet girl, one group of three deliquents, one sporty girl ,one bishounen, one transfer student etc. This is understandable as the story has to be interesting, and having character "doubles" can reduce their individual value, but it's hard to swallow when its every anime that does it, and you start to pick out the stereotypes in like 5 seconds. having one stereotype is hard to avoid, but having a whole bunch is a tad annoying.

Don't know what I would do to avoid it though, without giving everyone screen time you can't develop them in depth, and if they really are not important they won't get the time, so its necessary that we understand who they are quickly.

I suppose in that sense I prefer completely background characters (sometimes faceless) who are only there to fill up numbers, like extras in a cafe or something. Either have someone who is of good value or have someone who has no value at all.

this is what is better than bad extra characters
NO extra characters

Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Crackhead Johny

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 07:08:19 PM »
For me, it would be, no more fanservice and ordinary highschool MC that becomes OP in the next few episodes. I'd rather have Death Note like anime series instead.
Real fan service (nudity) from the golden age? Or more modern "fan tease" (upskirt and swimsuits).
If you hate the real then I suggest therapy. That will hopefully get you past the misogyny that makes anime fans get profiled as creepy incels. Loving women is totally OK. Women are cool.

As for new? Kill the plagiarism. No more formulaic garbage.
ADA lawsuits forcing dub availability.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:10:45 PM by Crackhead Johny »

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 02:38:44 AM »
For me, it would be, no more fanservice and ordinary highschool MC that becomes OP in the next few episodes. I'd rather have Death Note like anime series instead.
Real fan service (nudity) from the golden age? Or more modern "fan tease" (upskirt and swimsuits).
If you hate the real then I suggest therapy. That will hopefully get you past the misogyny that makes anime fans get profiled as creepy incels. Loving women is totally OK. Women are cool.

A storm is coming...

Anyways, I prefer quality over something new in anime. Something new does not mean it's immune to anything that makes stories in general bad (I'm talking about you, "Isekais" ...). If it's bad, it ain't getting my love and wallet.
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline GerardM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 09:42:42 AM »
For me, it would be, no more fanservice and ordinary highschool MC that becomes OP in the next few episodes. I'd rather have one of these fantastic electric log splitters and Death Note like anime series instead.

As for new? Kill the plagiarism. No more formulaic garbage.
ADA lawsuits forcing dub availability.

I agree. Quality trumps all. But provided that the quality is there, something new would be cool. As long as it's not trying to reinvent the whole genre.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 08:49:45 AM by GerardM »

Offline Happytimedoggy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 01:10:58 AM »
At this point I'd just be happy to see less "reincarnation" and "Summoned to a fantasy world" manga.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 06:11:49 PM »
They are awfully popular. I mean there's clearly an appetite for fantasy escapism, but not so much for the extensive world building we tebd to see in Western fantasy. Hopefully one day soon we'll see that change, because I was to see the chrazy histories the are invented for full fantasy stories.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 08:54:16 AM »
I like them so I'm not so bothered by there being so many, but they still need to have good characters and a good story line to actually be good. A genre on it's own is neither good nor bad, typically, but it's nice to have a balance.
I'd love something non-mecha sci-fi like Steins;Gate. Seriously.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Crackhead Johny

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »
An end to harem anime in its current "I blame Tenchi" form.
When you have a teenage boy and a pile of hot women lusting after him, having him act like they all have ebola is just stupid. Mouse has the MC getting some from his 3 woman harem and seems to be very hated due to this. Or at the end of the run have the MC hook up with another hot dude from the series so it all makes sense.  Harem is ripe for a parody about now or years ago.

End terrible yuri. Another puritanical problem. I think I have seen 1 good Yuri (they were shrine maidens who had been in love with each other forever and kept dying and coming back again. Oh and their was Rin which did it well and was an excellent examination of living forever) where the girls do not all turn straight at the end. Yeah Simoun I'm talking to you. It is so weird when I last met a woman in the US who is not interested in women a very long time ago, that it is STILL completely taboo in anime. 

Shonen fighting anime. So formulaic. So tired. So "my dad can beat up your dad.". I will watch it but I will probably yell at it. What was the last good one? Shadow Skill? I'm not including the parody called One Punch Man, that one was awesome but it was parody of the genre.

In the US stop the cash grabs. So many Blu Rays coming out with 0 English track (I think I have been bitten by this 5-6 times in the last 4 months). DVDs and the ability to select English or Japanese is what made anime blow up in the US, going backwards is dumb and creates angry customers>ex-customers.
Also stop breaking seasons into 2 full price boxes. Full seasons lead to happy consumers, doubling the price.. angry consumers.

Netflix, stop ruining anime.
Amazon, label your sub only stuff!!

More Shin Chan!!!!!!!!

Offline Hati

• The werewolf
  • genderqueer: he or she
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2019, 06:59:55 PM »
More wit and quirkyness.

I think the last great anime that stuck with me was Paprika  by Satori Kon and I would definitely would like to see more surrealism, where not everything makes 100% sense.

Also, not having every character being important with a tragic backstory. There's too many of those already. I think the main reason why an anime or manga will fail is because there's too many character and characters just come and drift out of existence. That's what bothers me.
Pink moon's gonna get you all.

Offline Deniel

• Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »
I want the gambling anime back. ;(
I have not seen more than one interesting modern anime about gambling. Kakegurui - I watched it, but Sometimes "okay", sometimes "meh". And this anime have Fanservice, what bad for good Gambling anime. (but openings good, I like style and songs)
If differently, there was a moment in JoJo when Jotaro played poker, and these 2 episodes were pretty good. Of course, I realized that this is the main character, the season will not end soon, so that he will win, but it was so cool to see what exactly he would do to win.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 08:54:37 AM »
I want to see an original anime that has seasons and yet actually ends. For ages now I've felt like seasonal anime is just peacemeal adaptation of a longer running lihgt novel or series and gaaah it never ends. Attack on Titan escapes my dislike because honestly the adaptation is better to go through than reading the manga, but it irks me sometimes otherwise

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
Yeah I'm all for long animes/mangas that end. I like to get into a long series but when the end isn't in sight it can make you wonder if the author is milking it.