March 29, 2024, 05:28:22 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Man Listen...  (Read 10644 times)

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
Man Listen...
« on: June 20, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
In the chit chat topic I mentioned I actually sat down and drew something while using one of my friend's sketches as a reference...

*Deep sigh* Man listen...

I've always wanted to dabble in the realm of art, but figured I'd be better off staying in my own lane of writing. But yesterday something inside of me triggered, and told me "Man DRAW SOMETHING RIGHT NOW!" The voice was aggressive too, almost felt like it was holding a figurative gun to my head, acting all gangsta and ish. Anyways, I listened, picked out an old sketch my friend drew for me years ago, and attempted to draw it just by looking at it, no tracing.

This was the result...

Friend's original sketch

My version

Now let me say this...

I'm actually thinking about committing to this art thing. I know I'm trash, and I know my attempt just now was trash, but i had fun doing it (I was just messing around when I did it) and I might as well test the limits of what I'm capable of, right? I really don't have much to lose. I also been taking a look at learning animation, and quite honestly besides wanting to learn how to draw, I also secretly loved the idea of learning to animate, whether it be 2d or 3d.

I already found and began reading a book on the fundamentals of drawing art, so I guess I'm not giving myself much say in the matter lol. But baby steps are important and trust me when I say I'm not diving straight into this pool. Not sure if I'll post anything else here in this topic, but I guess it'll be nice to have it around in case I do have more trash to drop in here.
Messatsu...

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: Man Listen...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
Man do not worry about a thing. I saw this:

And got hype as hell for you, man. MR has a bit of a habit of turning writers into begrudging artists. Back at it again with everybody being too broke to hire artists to work with them! But seriously, don't you worry about a thing. My first art attempts look something like this:

All I can say is keep at it, and I'll be right up here with you for the long run for it.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »
Lol thanks Sis (Can I call you Sis? Screw it I'm calling you Sis anyway :tongue:). Those old works of yours definitely had a unique style to them.  Definitely ten times better than anything I can come up with right now lol.

And you know, besides being too broke to pay for an artist, once you see 1000 sketches worth of amazing art from your fellow Raider peers over a seven year stretch, you kinda start to think to yourself, "Ya know, I'm pretty sure I can do that too if I actually try."
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:57:42 PM »
Don't give up Fro! With Photobucket turning into the monster that it did, my old art topic was well and truly erradicated, but I assure you that it wasn't much to look at. But even I pulled off a few pieces I was proud of (even if it was heavily reference based)

My point is don't give up! Art is just a skill to be learned, like any other.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:05:08 PM »
Please, Fro. I've been called everything from "sis" to "mommy". Straight up unironically. Hell, if you shouted across a room: "HEY, ASSHOLE" I'd probably turn around to see who was calling me.

Yeah, I have to say that Lego's dedication is one of my personal motivating factors. I only just realized as I was working on this piece that it made canonical sense for him to have been turned into a neko girl given the cat soul thing in Genderbending Conundrums, but that's a little off topic. If you ever want to be added to the art Discord we got going on, just message Devola.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 10:10:04 PM »
Truer words never been spoken. Thanks for the support Coryn! And that's exactly how I'm choosing to approach this. By looking at it as another skill. Sure, it'll be tough and frustrating, but hey, learning any skill is like that. Learning how to write was no different, and I eventually turned out to be a pretty decent writer. I'm sure I can be the same with art.

@Mahlua: Seeing Lego's improvement over the years is motivation indeed. And when I finally get around to buying a decent mic, I'll be sure to join that Discord (After I make an account first, of course). 
Messatsu...

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 10:44:50 PM »

Seriously though. If anything, start drawing to show the rest of the writers we can probably do it too. Maybe it'll make some of us get off our asses and take art into our own hands!
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »
Oh hells yes. Dude check out twitter sakugas for inspiration. They're both inspiring and depressing because they look awesome as hell but with simple software a few frames can make some truly explosive action.

Step into the fray! And lel yeah as Mahlua says it's truly the only path for cheap writers to take in the end. I only noticed recently that I did improve over time. Try for collabs with people on the forum! PM and IMs are your friend.

Also I just learnt recently: Think Documenting instead of Creating. Just post your progress as you make it with all your sketches and 'i dont even knows' and we'll be with you every step of the way. It's what I do in my Miscellaneous Arts topic sometimes.

No pressure, but pretty stoked to see ye drawing man haha. IKE!

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
You've taken the first step man, that's the most important thing! I support this 100%, if you need help or have questions, I've got your back!

Writing and art were never mutually exclusive and it's good seeing people break out of that "I can't draw" mentality and pushing themselves to actually create what they want instead of just daydreaming about it. Good on you Fronomenal!

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »
@Effulgent: If you're asking me to lead the revolution for all of us writers here, then mission accepted. Thanks for the support.

@Lego: That's the idea man, thanks! I wanna focus on the fundamentals and keep track of my progress over time.  I'll post some randomness somewhere down the line. I like to draw 3d cubes when I'm bored with paper in front of me. i'll probably be posting a lot of those lol.

@Devola: With you backing me then I'll know be good lol. Thanks man! I'll be sure to ask questions when they come to me.
Messatsu...

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »
If you like drawing cubes I highly recommend looking up the lessons from Drawabox. They focus a lot on the fundamentals of getting lines down how you want them and getting used to shapes and how they work. I'm sure other raiders have other tools, but that's what I was hooked on for a bit over winter break.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
Noted. I feel like there's an infinite amount of tools out there online for artists to use to improve and enhance their art. Gotta a lot of researching to do it seems.
Messatsu...

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 07:39:01 PM »
Or really you could just pick any one of them up and start trying some of the exercises. Do 'em a few times a day for a week and see how they feel for you. Can't get any more basic than the line.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 10:10:44 PM »
Messed around with Drawabox per Mahlua's suggestion and the first thing I learned was something I wished my art teachers would've told me throughout my school years.

DAWG YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT I SHOULD"VE BEEN DRAWING WITH MY SHOULDER THIS WHOLE TIME!!!????

All these years I've been drawing with the flick of the wrist when I should've been getting my shoulder lean on (If you don't get those references, then don't worry. Totally understandable).

Anyways, I decided to try my hand at drawing one of my friend's sketches again. He came over by the house, so I had even more reason to do it and then shove it in his face afterwards. When I was finished I showed it to him and asked him "What do you think?" He looked at it, laughed and said, "It's not bad, B." Being skeptical I asked "What do you mean by that?" He simply responded with "It doesn't look like sh*!" I'll take that as a compliment any day.

original version

My version(Will finish later)

Also trying to get into the habit of looking at everything as lines and shapes. Definitely helps with the process of improving and looking at things logically.

Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »
I'd maybe get into the habit of sketching from real life sources Fro. Going straight for someone else's work is a sure fire way to pick up bad habits they haven't been able to get rid of. Try adapting poses and stuff from photographs or movie stills.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF