April 18, 2024, 07:12:09 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Kohaku's Improvement Gallery. C and C ENCOURAGED!!  (Read 7099 times)

Offline KohakuRiver

• View Profile
Kohaku's Improvement Gallery. C and C ENCOURAGED!!
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:50:34 PM »
Hi I'm a first-time poster. Call me Haku. I love anime and manga. I've been mostly doodling since I was a kid but I want to get a bit more serious. I really want to focus on anatomy and coloring. I have a lot of stories I've written and a  comic idea, so later on once I fix plot errors I will post most of it up.

I have a work in progress right here. Just a sketch and some beginning stuff. I really want to fix the shape of her back but I'm not sure how. The background is supposed to be at a beach. I used a reference which really helped with the pose but I can't really get the back. I guess I'll come back to it tomorrow and I'll probably be able to fix it. :tongue:

Spoiler

Here is some finished stuff I did quite a while ago. I just need to get back into the groove. If you guys have your own threads let me know.
Spoiler

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:10:02 PM by KohakuRiver »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Kohaku's Improvement Gallery. C and C ENCOURAGED!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
Welcome! Sorry, but we don't allow links until you'veade 25 posts, and we ask that all images be embedded (you did good with those three finished works)

Please also introduce yourself in the welcome center! It's the best way to let people know who you are and that you've arrived on the scene.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline KohakuRiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 09:08:41 PM »
Oh okay, thanks for the FYI, I will update it.
It's nice that you like those old pictures. I made them about 2 years ago! But they're the most recent finished thing I have sadly. After my sketch though thats all gonna change!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 11:39:59 PM »
Oooooh that newbie trademark of the gradient sky background on that red-headed girl's image. It's so nice to see people's journeys. I know some of my first posts are broken links now but I've had my days that are worse than that, that's for sure.

As for the sketch you have right now, I wonder if the neck is wide enough, or if the legs (particularly the one further from the viewer) are crooked. Maybe I'm just seeing things or you're still sorting out the anatomical details. Ah, well. Sketches will be gross. That's the way it goes.

And if your sketches aren't gross are you really an artist though?
Haha signature go brr.

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »
Your backgrounds are sweet. They fit with the theme of each image too, which is nice.
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 05:35:19 PM »
One thing to consider for when you start drawing again is something my figure-drawing professor told my class at the beginning of the semester. She said to throw the number of heads guideline out of your arsenal of techniques. The only use for that guideline is if, and only if, the figure is standing at eye level, facing you straight on, and are standing stiff as a board (and only if the figure has "perfect" proportions). At any other time foreshortening comes into play and will look strange if you try to fight the change in size/proportion it causes.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:36:54 PM by Robin Ryuu »

Offline KohakuRiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 08:45:21 PM »
One thing to consider for when you start drawing again is something my figure-drawing professor told my class at the beginning of the semester. She said to throw the number of heads guideline out of your arsenal of techniques. The only use for that guideline is if, and only if, the figure is standing at eye level, facing you straight on, and are standing stiff as a board (and only if the figure has "perfect" proportions). At any other time foreshortening comes into play and will look strange if you try to fight the change in size/proportion it causes.

This is so accurate and telling, I don't know why I never realized this. Thank you so much. I used the guideline for the heads because when I first started the sketch her body seemed really squished, and then I realized my canvas wasn't big enough. Then I stretched it out, used the heads as a reference. I think I just need more examples of reference pictures online. But when I google "woman on beach" I get a lot of a intresting pictures lol.

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »

That being said there is a way to use the heads to your advantage. Drawing from imagination doesn't follow the same rules as drawing from life, but when drawing from life rather than assuming the person is 7 heads tall, you have to measure their head and then find out how many heads tall they are. Then you could find at what point does their pelvis begin, or how many heads long their arms are. Drawing from imagination, I don't think anyone will mind if your figures are perfectly proportional because they aren't trying to capture a likeness.

This is why when drawing from imagination we assign a head count to our figures, but when drawing from life, the figure must give us their head count.

There are some good things happening here, but the composition itself has created some challenges for you. The figure is off balance. This can be used to your advantage in a figure that's moving or about to run, but for a figure that's supposed to be standing still, it becomes a problem.

You want the figure to appear in 2 point perspective and you've placed a horizon line in the center of the figure. There's nothing wrong with the horizon line. But you should know that the horizon line references the height of the person looking at her. It's your eye level. Some photographers will kneel down to make the photo more dramatic and help center the person in the frame.

Here you can see the difference between a photo taken by a photographer and a photo taken by an amateur who is the same height as the woman.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The horizon line can work to your advantage in the middle here. This means that the shoulders and the hips will appear to be converging or diverging.

The best way to handle this would be to fit the figure inside a large box and then put that box into perspective. Then you can draw the details of the figure inside of the box, and you can create a gravity line in the midpoint of the box in order to balance the figure properly. Once you have that box, drawing the figure inside should feel easy and intuitive.

The gravity doesn't actually have to be in the middle. There just needs to be something to hold the figure up. Sometimes people will lean and shift their weight onto one leg when they've been standing for a long time. When this happens you'll likely see one foot line up with the head vertically.

Offline KohakuRiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 09:50:56 PM »
Wow thank you. This is the most thought out reply I have ever gotten on a piece of work, and this is just the sketch. You even used pictures of women at the beach I can use as references.

I put the horizon at her about navel because I just wanted something simple, and I am weak at backgrounds/perspective, but I think the picture will look more dynamic if I place the horizon at about her hips.

I'll try exactly what you suggested and update!! I know how to fix it or at least make it better.

Offline KohakuRiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 12:26:53 AM »
update on my sketch.
changed the pose slightly so it could be more dynamic.
realized I cant draw buts in the process lol. I'm going to find some more references and clean it up.
this is just an idea for an OC for my manga, but I cannot decide on her hair... her theme will be mostly purple/black and some green hues.
Her name is Candice, but friends call her Candy. :)

Spoiler

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 12:30:45 AM »
It's always good to study anatomy, (which does definitely include butts). Humans always like seeing other humans after all, and that means creating a more total illusion.

Or you know, just toss on some cargo pants to every character you design and call it a day  :tongue:

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 12:32:45 AM »
I think the difficulty with the butt might be coming from a lack of curves to make room for the hips, which also kinda squishes the legs together. I'm not sure how you construct figures, so I can't say how it would best serve you to make that kind of alteration, but I can say that I usually draw the rib cage and hips as separate building blocks. If the pink underlayer was from your sketch, it looks like you made them one shape with consistent width, which doesn't always look right at different angles.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline mhmd007

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 01:56:02 AM »
update on my sketch.
changed the pose slightly so it could be more dynamic.
realized I cant draw buts in the process lol. I'm going to find some more references and clean it up.
this is just an idea for an OC for my manga, but I cannot decide on her hair... her theme will be mostly purple/black and some green hues.
Her name is Candice, but friends call her Candy. :)

Spoiler

the sketch looks great
idk if this help
i found this tutorial
Spoiler

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 09:09:25 AM »
I traced your sketch so you could see it more clearly, sorry if the lineart is a bit messy.
critique
The main thing I want to point out is to use beauty tropes.  As you can see to the right, when you have wider hips you imagine a female (even without drawing the boobs) while the wider shoulders becomes a male. 
 That is why people say hips don't lie because they really don't.

The second thing I want to mention is that generally the height from the head to the crotch is pretty much the same height as the crotch to the bottom of the feet.
 Although the length can vary, generally longer legs are seen as more beautiful.
Anyways, I don't want to overwhelm you with information but I definitely think you have improved the first sketch alot

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
Thanks for providing visuals, guys. I just talk a lot because I'm too lazy to pull up resources. Looks like you guys covered a lot more of what I was attempting to explain.

@mhmd I think I've taken from the same or a very similar booty tutorial, actually, lol.
Haha signature go brr.