June 01, 2020, 03:22:37 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Which Anime series you are watching ?  (Read 129876 times)

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
Re: Which Anime series you are watching ?
« Reply #1845 on: March 05, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
Last night I just started watching The Promised Neverland on hulu...... so good and creepy!!
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. – Confucius

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: May 07, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »
Mobile Suit Gundam

Ooooh ya. The original 1979 Gundam is an awesome show that still holds up decently today. At 43 episodes it can be a stretch in parts but it's an engaging story and progression is exciting. It keeps going, following this crew of under experienced kids reluctantly having to use top secret military tech to survive. The original Gundam is way more epic than I imagined, with a big military focus. This is more of a War story than a super robot one. Although by the end it dips into some pretty crazy elements and the last three episodes are crazy. The machines are just tools to fight the war and every episode delivers some cool super robot action.

The characters aren't the best but you end up growing a liking to most of the cast, even the initially annoying ones like Kai get better after having focus episodes. The only problem are the 3 little kids who are annoying, terrible, heinous additions that this anime would be so much better without. Thankfully they are not onscreen too often and didn't get in the way for the last arc. Amuro and Char are cool and by the end it's just...oh man.

The war story made it interesting and it had more substance than I imagined. I really thought it was going to be a kiddie show or some repetitive monster of the week style series like Gao Gai Gar. Instead it was a story that just kept going episode after episode and following the crew of White Base was awesome and made the ending pay off. I loved the last episode and got wet eyed at the end. There were a lot of questionable and crazy elements that you have to suspend your disbelief for. I found it easy to enjoy it for what it is and appreciate it for the time it came out. For an anime from 1979 it had some pretty good fight scenes.

The artstyle as well was unique, every character had a different style of face. Some of them looked like Scooby-Doo characters even. The mechs were awesome, I love the classic RX-78 and I ordered the HGUC's for the Goef and Guncannon. I made the RG RX-78-2 before I watched this and I like that kit even more now. I started making Gunpla a few months ago and now I'm hooked. This is the first Gundam anime I watched and I'm happy I started with the original. When I was younger and obsessed with Transformers I always liked the designs of the Gundams but it seemed boring. But now it was that military drama that added so much to the awesome designs. Some of the Zeon stuff looked pretty insane though and the whole stretch of underwater based episodes was very weak along with the really thicc and strange designs.

For the first few episodes the voice acting (sub) was recordly poorly but it got better. The soundtrack with some slight Disco elements was great. I loved that song that played everytime Amuro combined the Gundam parts together. Sound effects were mostly all good besides some very weird gun sounds in the last episode. The OP was cheesy and the ED was even cheesier with it's "Amuuuroooo" line getting in your head.

Gundam is a classic that is still worth watching today. It's a great point to start with the franchise just to see where it all came from and it was nice to watch an anime this old since I haven't watched any 70's series. It may be outdated to the modern viewer compared to all the flashiness and crazy upscaling that was to come but there is a lot of charm here. and the simpler elements make the story easy to follow and engaging. Now onto Zeta which I'm fairly hyped for!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:52:52 PM by Manimal »

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: May 14, 2020, 02:46:48 AM »
Finished watching:
Boku no Hero Academia (binged all seasons)
Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil
Blue Sub No.6
Shinchou Yuusha
Sakamoto Desu ga?

I'm watching way more anime now, I got back into it rather well to my surprise. Hopefully I can get through my stupidly huge to-watch list haha

I'm rewatching Yuru Yuri amongst a bunch of others that I don't remember the names. Stupid long names.
Durarara seasons 2-4 I'm watching as well.

I've got the new seasons of SAO and Steins;Gate lined up, I hope I like them.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: May 14, 2020, 09:00:52 AM »
Sakamoto was a mad fun series, I loved watching that one when it came out. The opening song as well, COOL. COOLER. COOLEST. One of the best surprises also since it didn't look promising. 

The first two seasons of Yuru Yuri are a favorite of mine also! Very funny show with lots of clever jokes. What was it...explosion buddies...and the pink haired girls clay sculptures. I could go for a rewatch of that.

I've made it halfway through Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and OH MAN.   

I'll post my more complete thoughts when I'm done but this series is insane and a pure classic. It's an Aliens level step up in quality from the original, better and deeper in every single way. Which is no diss on the original, I had a lot of fun with it and it set up this series very nicely. Zeta is just so scaled up and the story flips the script in episode 1 and gets a lot more in depth with the characters and the Newtype thing. This is such a good show, we'll see how the rest is. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 03:27:36 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: May 16, 2020, 02:41:31 PM »
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 

A sequel that promised so much and seemed to amp up everything from the first series. For the first 25 episodes I was so on board, the show was amazing! The first three episodes were super gripping and right from the opening scene with the Rick Dias in space it was stunning. It dragged a bit around episode 30 but came back, had some twists and then lost me in the last two episodes. I was left disappointed at the finale which felt sloppy and unsatisfying.

There was a lot of good. I loved how they handled the old cast for one. There was a lot more Newtype stuff going on which the original only got to explore in it's last arc. There were interesting dynamics in the emotionally driven cast and the story was crazy. It was way more complex with the first episode instantly flipping the script. Everything was being handled in a great way. But then the flaws come up and certain elements get repetitive. Reccoa had a poor arc and Emma was mishandled in the end after being one of the only level headed mobile suit pilots. Kamille was a whiner crybaby but you understood why, and he had his ups and downs. The dynamic between Four and Kamille was engaging. You felt Kamille's fragile emotions and you felt sympathy for characters like Sarah, Four and Rosamia. Haman was a pretty awesome villainess. Char was the best part, his arc made him the most complex character. Amuro was sidelined but I loved his part in the show along with Captain Bright. 

It was interesting how antagonists were build up and stayed around instead of in the original when they'd come down, give a speech about their pride and be destroyed by Amuro in a few episodes. Jerid's character was made to be a rival for Kamille but he became a one note annoyance by the end. There were so many silly scenes where characters pointed guns at each other and said "don't move or I'll shoot!" and proceeded to not shoot as their target moved. Katz was frustrating and had no purpose being in space. He was useless, even Fa served more of a purpose although she ended up becoming a Fraw Bow in many ways. I thought her character was okay I just wish she got to improve as a pilot.

Voice acting (sub) was pretty great, Amuro's seiyuu was my favorite, he gave him a lot more grit. He sounded more mature than the first series. and Char's voice actor...I mean come on. The soundtrack was great also, the theme for the Argama was epic. LET'S NOT FORGET THAT AWESOME FIRST OP ALSO! Animation dipped pretty hard in quality from the start but for 1985 it was decent and there was a lot of nice design elements. I loved the Rick Dias and the Zeta Gundam. I was sad the Zeta didn't get to kick more ass. I was hoping for better fights but the show didn't really deliver that.

I'm disappointed at the end but perhaps it was my own expectations. Maybe I gotta let it sit a bit more but I feel the last episode was so sloppy, and it put a damper on a series I was really enjoying. Zeta Gundam has a lot of amazing ideas, speeches, moments and characters but also it's share of bad parts. Glad I watched it though, Gundam is awesome and I look forward to watching more. I don't know if I can make it through ZZ but I'm hyped for G Gundam and I'll give Wing a chance also. The franchise is exciting the models are addicting and an awesome hobby, but man the ending for Zeta...what a bum note.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:52:24 PM by Manimal »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: May 17, 2020, 02:23:28 PM »
You really are on this gundam kick eh Manimal?

I'm going to give a shout out to Tower of God here. Already a popular manwha, I know, but the anime is the first time I'm being introduced to it outside of hearing the name on occasion. And I got to say, I'm really loving this one! It's sorta a slow build, but it's so well paced and the characters are so likable that I can just settle into the experience like a warm glove. It's such a well constructed shounen style story, while also being very seinen at the same time. The art style is tight, the fights are well done and never drag on for so long that you get bored, the characters are all unique and believable, and while the premise is somewhat known (past tests to climb the magic tower), it is done in a unique way that combines the best parts of a tournament arc with the intrigue of a truly mind bending world.

Honestly, I don't know how this place is supposed to work, and really I don't care. The ride is just so enjoyable, with everything building on top of the next like a house of legos. And I have to give props to the understated humor. We have very few slap-stick moments of comedy (not that I don't love slap-stick), but it's a very nice change of a pace to just have a few well constructed jokes scattered around.

Spoiler
I gotta put spoilers for this one: We meet a very powerful character who is a "controller" of the tower
 tests. He is always seen sipping coffee or tea, and so when we eventually see him offer someone his "special latte" in a completely serious tone, and open a cabinet of fancy coffee making devices, you will be absolute laid bare when the next shot is the character he offered coffee to sitting there with a cup of hot water and a packet of instant coffee mix.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: May 17, 2020, 04:36:00 PM »
Oh ya big time. It was only natural to watch the show after I started making the models but I had no idea it was going to be as good as it was. It has re-kickstarted my passion for this medium entirely. I mean it goes back to my start in anime with Gurren Lagann and Full Metal Panic. Even though I found my favorite spot with Slice Of Life I got into the medium because cool robot stuff so to watch a show that is not only cool robot stuff but also has a lot going for it in story and character....it was like boom all over again. 

and again the models help, I mean I'm addicted. It's a fun and satisfying hobby that takes me away from looking at screens all day and let's me focus on something. It's actually super relaxing and they are as complex as you make them. I want to get a little crazier since I have the Perfect Grade Mk. II coming and I want to do it justice. So Gundam is just another great franchise. 

Seasonal anime watching has had it's moments but it's made me autopilot through anime. and honestly a lot of what I chose to watch and finish is mediocre stuff. Watching the classics is a good way to be excited about the medium again, there is so much I haven't seen. I started Macross yesterday and I want to rewatch Full Metal Panic since it's been 8 years since I last rewatched it, and so I can finally see that forth season I was exploding in excitement over and then never watched when it came out. and I was like buddy why didn't I watch Hajime no Ippo seasons 2 & 3. Imagine watching a show, having it in your top 10 and then never watching the other series. Well I never finished Shakugan no Shana 3 but that was for very good reason...and I never finished White Album 1 but that doesn't count.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:50:11 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: May 24, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »
Macross

MA-CU-ROSS! MA-CU-ROSS! On the topic of Mecha anime you will always hear Macross mentioned right after Gundam. I've known the series almost as long as I've known Transformers through the G1 Jetfire toy that was literally just a repurposed Valkyrie. I tried to watch the show 8 years ago but I never got through all of episode 1. Watching it now as a break between Gundam series I found it to be a heavily dated and messy show that prevailed only through it's good ideas and unique mix of sci-fi mecha & romance with an idol element on the side. Macross is not a great series but it is decently fun.

Over the 36 episodes you're treated to terrible animation and choppy action sequences most of the time. But every now and then the show puts all it's resources into a big scene or episode and it looks amazing. You have to suffer through a rough span of 10-12 episodes which features no less than two recap episodes before you get to the huge and absolutely epic Episode 27. It was a huge fight with so much on screen, you could tell everything went into it. and Episode 35 was equally amazing and detailed. So basically most of the show looks awful but when it looks good it looks REALLY good. and all the details from the city are nice to look at.

The story...oh man. This anime features one of the most frustrating love triangles. At first I loved Hikaru & Minmay and thought the episode were they are stuck in the ship together was really cute. Than Kaifun is introduced and he completely destroys Minmay and takes away all her charm and personality. Kaifun was a terrible Sweet Home Alabama incest boy and I hated every single second he was on screen. Misa was one of the only characters I liked in the show. I actually really liked her, she was emotional but still had a sense of duty. Her connection of mutual loneliness with Hikaru was compelling also. and Roy was cool as well. For a main character Hikaru is actually underpowered. He is pretty normal, at first accidentally roped in and then he just adjusts to being a soldier.

There was a lot of issues with the story such as the time skip where nothing even happened with any of the characters. The show had great ideas, such as how the Macross uses culture to try and show the aliens a better way of life. This leads to many funny scenes and amusing moments. The show sometimes gets into the "war is bad" thing that Gundam does so well but overall takes a muuuch lighter tone. The characters are actually allowed to relax and have down time. I liked the idol part and Minmay's songs being the Macross' greatest weapon. But man does the show beat you over the head with "My Boyfriend Is A Pilot". Her songs were actually fairly good but that one was used soooo much.

There is less cool robot action in this show and more drama, which would be fine if it wasn't so frustrating in many parts. I liked a lot about the show but it was so sloppy in it's delivery. The way it went about it's ideas left a lot to be desired, especially with Milia, Max and the hilariously awful knife fight scene. The show had a good guideline but didn't know how to bring it's characters there in a more natural way. I almost dropped the series during the middle, which was not good, but I'm happy I watched it all. Mostly just for episodes 27 and 35. This was a pretty dumb show overall but it just happened to have enough good elements to make it interesting.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:56:44 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal

• View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: May 30, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »
Mobile Suit Gundam : Char's Counterattack

Wow. This film revs up for one of the most intense and pure testosterone filled finales I've ever seen in anime. Very much like Gurren Lagann would do later this movie builds to such an incredible and powerful end that I was left totally amazed and got goosebumps when the end song started. Char's Counterattack is a great end to the saga of Amuro and Char. Two ideologies that clash and finally engage in an epic final battle. Of course there is 2 hours of movie here so there is a lot more going on. It basically felt like a movie version of an arc in the show. Nothing really ramped it up aside from consistent animation quality.

I skipped ZZ as it looked stupid and that didn't affect my viewing of this movie. It did feel like it dropped you directly into things and the pacing was certainly not like a film. It didn't have a lot to do with Zeta aside from aesthetics. You had almost no characters carry over. It was all about Amuro and Char and that made for an extremely satisfying ending that delivering everything I was hoping for. The sideplot with Quess and Hathaway however is the bad part of the movie. Quess was good at first and her actions made sense but she got annoying. and Hathaway I absolutely hated for something he did at the end of the movie which made him the exact same annoying stupid kid that Katz was in Zeta.   

The ending made me forgive the flaws because it was so incredible and gave me my favorite kind of stuff in anime. Two guys having an emotional robot battle in space while yelling about their ideologies. All of that was awesome, but this film is not without failing. Like I said it could've been a sequel anime, it would've been an awesome show if they continued after Zeta in this direction. Char is such a fantastic character and he went all over in the anime. Amuro as well is a great protagonist. They have that classic connection with each other. If there was no ZZ and instead a longform version of that movie that built up then it would've been remarkable.

This movie could've been greater if Quess was handled better and Hathaway was removed or made not stupid. I really want to say this is one of the greatest anime movies I've seen, and the ending is, but some of the stuff leading up to it felt silly to me. The finale was so big and epic that it makes the movie a worthy ending to the saga. However it didn't quite elevate itself in quality from Zeta. So it was overall good and had an impact but didn't live up fully to what it could of been in every aspect.

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: May 31, 2020, 10:48:50 AM »
Finished:
Tsurezure no Children (bit disappointing but pretty much you get what you pay for when you try and develop 10 different relationships in 10 minute episodes. still enjoyable but needs a season 2)
Chuunibyou demo koi ga *censored*ai! (a lot better than I expected, and a bit emotional too)
Yuru Yuri season 1 (rewatch, still as funny as last time)
Inferno Cop (rewatched, still as stupid as last time XD)

Currently watching:
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (so far it's in my top list, very funny and light to watch)

...and some others which I forget
One day I'll get around to my full anime reviews but I've forgotten what most shows I watched were even about haha
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!