July 25, 2017, 06:35:32 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Which Anime series you are watching ?  (Read 71414 times)

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Anime series you are watching ?
« Reply #1740 on: March 07, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »
Maybe it depends where you read, but Plus generally is acknowledged as one of the highlights of the decade.

Online 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 07, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
It is Watanabe, so I could believe that, but I've honestly never heard it talked about except in context of Macross.

Online Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Idols Have Abs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 14, 2017, 10:13:18 PM »
Burnt through Paradise Kiss today. Prepare for an overly long block.

A Josei about a third year high school student who studies hard but has no real goal. One day she runs into a some weirdos who make clothes in a basement by fate and is convinced to become their model. From there the story unfolds as a complex romance character drama, and also the story of our heroine Yukari struggling through a series of new emotions and trying to realize what her path is. At first this show seemed like a terrible tale of a high school girl being mislead and dragged into something she was unsure of, but she gains resolve over the course of the series and goes through an arc of self realization and figuring out where her desires lie.

Her love interest George is the kind of mystery princey type. He's kind of a dick but he's humanized and fleshed out. The focus on the series is fashion. The group make the collective, Paradise Kiss, and the overall goal is this kind of fashion show where they have to make a dress for Yukari. Along the way she develops a quick interest in George who really messes with her. He really plays her heart strings and the two get moving fast. This show is snap snap, in 12 episodes it crams a lot of content. The romance between Yukari and George is very interesting, in that it's not normal for anime. There are a lot of layers to both of them, it's not a nice and gleaming romance.

There is also a tension with the punk kid Arashi, his girlfriend Miwako and Yukari's old crush Hiro. A sort of childhood friends gotta pick one, type deal. One of the issues I had with the show is their "fight" lasts only a few minutes and is thrown in super quick. Their relationship is well explained but there are elements to Arashi, such as his band, which are not seen nearly enough. There is also Isabella to complete the group, another interesting character, especially with her history with George. No spoilers but...there are hints from the first episode so it was no big surprise.

The cast was decent in this show, there is a lot of development and some rather human elements to the romance. George's Mom kind of comes off as a plot device to help Yukari to a realization, and Hiro is the nice guy who gets the shaft, but the main characters are strong. Yukari goes through so much emotional, she changes so fast as well and makes a lot of decisions in the span of only a few days. It's a nice story of discovering one's passions, she finds her own independence along the way after being dragged around for the first little while. Some elements fall into play a little too easy such as her happening to pass out and walking up in the secret clothes basement, which was kind of creepy, but we later learn she has issues with this when she starts to eat and sleep less before the show. "Pennyroyal Tea" was playing in my head everytime they said anemic, to be fair there are photos of a striped blue Mustang in this show. Oh ya did I mention? The art.

The art & direction of Paradise Kiss is what got me through it all. This show opens with scenes of photographs mixed with animation. Throughout the show there are these cool stylistic choices of live action photos like George's car. Similar to Nana their is importance placed on several objects such as the car, the pink door and the sheer amount of butterflies. For the eye catches there will sometimes be photos of a candy jar or that classic Mustang. The artstyle is fantastic with a realistic look and high detail. Every character has a lot to them, like Arashi's punk piercings, and all the involved outfits. I particularly liked Yukari's twin tail and stripped sweater look. The characters burst into chibi mode here and there but manage to keep on model a fair amount of the time. It just looks good, especially all the detail to the fashion elements.

The directing is very interesting, composed of a lot of static and face shots. The most fasinating part of Paradise Kiss however is the almost complete lack of OST. Aside from a song here and there or a guitar chord there is nothing but silence and atmosphere here. This makes the show really bring you into the world and make the viewer better fall into the settings. It's an interesting move. This coupled with the flower wipe transitions and cool OP & ED songs make for an overall very great production and presentation. Voice acting is also solid but Isabella sounds a little bit too old.

Overall Paradise Kiss was a neat show. It has a lot of interesting choices, as well as complex relationships and a strong theme. There are flaws, like the lightning pace and the overall rushed conclusion, however I found it to be an engaging watch. The direction and detailed art made it work best for me, I liked the designs and atmosphere it created. Paradise Kiss is taken from Ai Yazawa's manga, she also did Nana. Her touch is very present here in the romance elements and also the fashion. She is very interested in punk rock and seems to have a particular fascination with Sid Vicious. More so in Nana, but Arashi is the punk character here. He has an Iggy Pop & The Stooges poster on his ceiling as well.

So ya, it was maybe a bit flawed but a good watch regardless.

Offline suupertramp

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 15, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
just watched dog days while recovering from laryngitis, it was a lot better than i thought it would be but still fairly cliched.
fairly unique premise though which made a change.

MC: so in these wars/battles, people dont get injured or die?
hime-sama: of course not!

absolutely brilliant :P

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 15, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
Paradise Kiss

Never actually seen the show, but as a Scottish person, I was amused to hear they'd used a Franz Ferdinand track for the ED in that.

Online Manimal

• Idols Have Abs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 15, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
Ah that's who it was. I didn't look it up but I was amused by that, fit pretty well to. Now that I look at it there is also a poster of their album You Could Have It So Much Better on Arashi's wall.

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: March 19, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
Finished rewatching Bakemonogatari the other day.

Since last seeing it, I'd built up a mental image of Bakemonogatari as something a bit grubby that I remember with a vague sense of embarrassment, but looking back on my comments from when I first watched it, I'm unsure why. I was gushingly impressed with it then and I still really like it now. I do think its psycho-sexual shennanigans tip over into uncomfortable territory on a couple of occasions, but the surreal imagery, whip smart dialogue and herky-jerky new-wave direction make it difficult for me to stay too mad at it.

It also surprised me how much I liked Kanbaru this time through. I think she gets all the best lines.

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 19, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »
It's a good series. The psychosexual aspect of it stays until the end of the Monogatari series, unfortunately, and Nisemonogatari even turns it up to 11. However, Monogatari Second Season has some of the best arcs in the whole series. Owarimonogatari is cool too. Kizumonogatari, as far as I'm able to watch this side of the Pacific, is somewhat different stylistically. Not sure what to make of it. There's Garden of Words-style rotoscoping, more (good) 3D animation, sound design, less use of dialogue (the first 3 or 4 minute sequence contains no dialogue). But it's interesting nonetheless.

Offline Gaff

• Space Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: March 22, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
Funnily enough, Kizumonogatari is the only other part of the franchise I've seen - parts 1+2 played here as part of the Scotland Loves Anime film festival last year.  I enjoyed it, but I think I'd have felt short changed if they hadn't played both parts together - the first film has barely any action in it compared to the second.

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a giant primary school playground.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #1749 on: March 29, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »
The first anime I have watched in ages and got me back into the anime world: Yuri on ice! Yes, I know  the famous "yaoi on ice" anime of last winter.

I discovered that anime by seeing fanarts in tumblr and decided to look closer into  it. I expected  to watch maybe 5 minutes before stopping it...but ended up a fan. A huge  fan of this anime.

I didnt expect it at all: my last anime "crushes"were Gundam wing and FMA (and Free three years ago). Yes, that old. Yet I ended stalking each new episode every wednesday evening.

Several things got me hooked into yuri on ice: the animation, the music the story, the character design and stories...most of the usual things. But the most important was the way they depected anxiousness , failure and fears. I've always been a stressed, anxious person and totally recognised myself in the way they wrote it.
It's not the usual "I will win everything and become the best!" kind of story: it's the  slow way to grow into your life.
The love story was also well depected: no shojo queen drama but modern, slowly growing, adult love. No flashy dramas, just  discreet fluffy stuff that makes your heart fond of the anime.

Of course, the anime isn't perfect but I don't care at all: I fell  in love with  its universe, its softness and flufiness.
I don't have figurines or dvd yet...but I won't hesitate to buy them once they are sold in France.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:30:52 PM by Corycaly »

Offline Misyne

• >o<
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: May 10, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »
I watched Ghost Stories with english dub. You know, that one that tanked in japan, so the dub people were given pretty much free reign to do whatever they wanted with it?

It was trashy, offensive, and absolutely hilarious to me. I wish there was more, but if there was, we might have not had this awesome english dub work on it.

Offline Misyne

• >o<
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 01, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »
Been feeling like watching some more anime recently, right now I'm watching:

Katanagatari

I'm a little bit over halfway through. I enjoy the simplistic artstyle a lot, even so much that I might come up with some Katanagatari -inspired art soonish :D

As for the story - it's... well, basically it's gone a bit overboard and basically absolutely anything could happen now. Since there's been a 11-year old girl who basically was the strongest person in the story by raw strength, I'm waiting for something even more absurd like the main characters having to face perhaps a mouse that no human could ever beat in battle, or perhaps a stick which no fighter has ever bested. I don't know, maybe I just don't watch enough anime like this to swallow it whole.

• Understood Newt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: June 03, 2017, 10:45:28 PM »
Katanagatari, while not a perfect anime imo, is a pretty clever subversion of shonen tropes. Stuff like the 11 year girl being super powerful is not that new of a concept in a genre that lives on those sorts of b-movie-esque ideas. It's how the show deals with stuff like that, taking it to its logical conclusions. Most notably in how brazenly the show just states that Shichika kills people (rather than saying he "beats" them). Er, just wait till you get to the end and it'll show its cards.

Offline Lakhdar

• View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 11, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »
It's been a while watching Sailor moon the 90s version, season 2. I'm a Sailor moon fanman  :D
Dormant Guardian manga:
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18359.0.html
"We'll bring her back!"

Online Manimal

• Idols Have Abs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 15, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »
Going in for my third rewatch of K-ON!, the new summer tradition.

What can I say but it's the best of the best really. After watching K-ON! it's hard to watch some other shows, after seeing so much low-effort or just plain sub-par seasonal anime, to suddenly go to this 2009 show is shocking. My focus is completely on it, the episodes could keep going and I would not care. Instead of waiting for them to end I'm just loving it. K-ON is secretly brilliant and everytime I go back I realize this more and more, since last year my total love for this entire series has exploded. K-ON! is just ultimate. Gurren Lagann will always be the best, but it's like...I don't know.

The very core of this is the love that went into the series. The true desire to create a fun and cute series, but also make real human characters and tell it with a subtle narrative that details, not the band life of the girls, but their high school journey with the music as the special spice, theme and overall aesthetic of the series. Instead of, we will be #1 and become the ultimate band! K-ON is just about the characters high school lives. We see them hang out, and each character is totally fleshed out through a variety of situations presents in the episodes.

My favorite episodes are the first 7 without Azusa. Not because she's not in it, she is likely my favorite character, but it's just the way things are set-up and the amount of things they do in those episodes! Man oh man. Then the details. Just watching the body language of the characters, combined with the stand-out performs of the seiyuus is enough. Yoko Hikasa as Mio is one of my favorite anime performances. Right away we see the sheer amount of personality each characters contains. Little touches like the vivid facial expressions, where Mio rests her hands, and the most fantastic character designs tell so much.

K-ON! is not like other moe-sh*t anime, it's certainly focused on the cute but just look at the designs. These are grounded and normal looking characters, I love that the look of this show so much. It's just, so delightful to watch. It moves at the perfect pace, and while there are sometimes iffy bits in animation like the side mouths and wide shots, it just has so much vibe. The direction is most amazing, with every shot being interesting. Truly I have never seen a slice of life show that is this pleasing on the eyes. Naoko Yamada knows just how to capture everything, she excels at creating an atmosphere so radiate and bright that it pains you not to live in a world so great. She is my favorite anime director, if K-ON is not enough then Tamako Love Story sells it.

It's impossible for me to describe in detail why I love K-ON so much but it's just been rattling around my head for like 2 years now. I can't get over it because it's just ultimate. The look, the feel and just the everything about K-ON. I don't know, it just digs right in. This is of course what I get out of the series, naturally everyone differs. It's just the right vibe for me, but there is much more to it that I don't even understand myself.

These are my thoughts from being only 4 episodes into season 1. Ha ha. I can go on and on about this.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:30:04 PM by Manimal »