September 25, 2017, 11:06:04 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Which Anime series you are watching ?  (Read 73990 times)

Offline Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Which Anime series you are watching ?
« Reply #1755 on: July 19, 2017, 07:26:37 PM »
Completed my third rewatch of K-On! season 1!

Nothing will top how the series made me feel when I watched it the second time last year. In 2015 it was fun and a great time, but in 2016 it was profound and smashed me with waves of odd melancholy in a way nothing has before. This time it was more like, yup it's great, a little bit of, if only I was in a band, and a few moments where I stopped to grab a guitar and rock out until I was out of breath and dizzy between episodes.

Before anything I want to talk about the 1 thing that keeps K-On! from being a 10/10 for me. As perfect as nearly everything is, Sawako is a serious hinder in the last third. She is an invasive character who not only de-grounds parts of the series but brings in unnecessary and lame anime elements like the maid outfits and such. It's not so racy in K-On but you know stuff like where she rips off Mio's pants at the Christmas party or drags her off to change somewhere, while we don't see anything, it's just not right in the context of the series.

It's an element unneeded and the series would be so much better if they just chilled out with Sawako. Her character is fine and in fact she has a great part in the series as the adviser who has been there done that and is now viewing youth like she had experienced previously. But the way she is in some episodes threatens to throw off the balance, like in the second training camp one. I still give K-On! a very solid and loving 9/10 but this is the thing that knocks it down in the first season.

But my favorite bit in the first season, sans the first training camp episode, is the conflict with Mio and Ritsu. The way they are portrayed is perfect, old friends who have a little scuffle then quickly make up. The way Ritsu acts and Mio reacts though is what makes things, it feels so real and like no other anime would capture the character of Mio so well. She's not a black and white shy girl, and in fact we see a whole lot of her personality. Same with Ritsu, I love her dynamic with Yui. Azusa is developed more in season 2, she's mostly quiet and polite here while being the voice of reason at times.

The club element is the genius of K-On!, through playing music together we get to see them work towards goals and view how each character is motivated and plays along. Mio is the natural McCartney style leader, down to being a lefty, and though we don't see much practice we get the idea how Yui could get good so fast but seeing how her one track mind works in the study episode. Though that fast solo she plays in episode 4 is bs, no one can do that after playing for a few months.

Mugi is always fun, and I love how she is the rich girl trope but completely expanded to reasonable levels. She is fascinated by things like working part time, and in the great foreshadowing of the series, we see her get excited to be asked "do you want fries with that?" to her working at the same place in the bonus episode. The series bookends masterfully when Yui runs to school confident and gets on stage to play Fuwa Fuwa Time, Mugi coming in for one last chorus. Oh I just love the little bubble this series sets up.

I can keep going all day believe me, but to keep things simple the first season of K-On! was still great to re-watch and sure enough the effects set in soon after and ya it makes me feel actual complex emotions for some reason. It's simply because I've never jammed with anyone, and I just love the world of K-On!, how sweet it is and how motivated and goal driven everyone is, they have purpose and...ah man. This and Hibike! Euphonium make me regret not joining concert band in school. I did come into stage band for my last few weeks, and played bass very poorly, but I don't count that as jamming for real. K-On! is the ultimate anime ideal, there is no better. It's just...nope. Cutting it off now. Onto season 2!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:00:39 AM by Manimal »

Offline Misyne

• >o<
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »
Katanagatari, while not a perfect anime imo, is a pretty clever subversion of shonen tropes. Stuff like the 11 year girl being super powerful is not that new of a concept in a genre that lives on those sorts of b-movie-esque ideas. It's how the show deals with stuff like that, taking it to its logical conclusions. Most notably in how brazenly the show just states that Shichika kills people (rather than saying he "beats" them). Er, just wait till you get to the end and it'll show its cards.

I finished it back then, and while I enjoyed it as a whole... I'll hide it so as not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it:

Spoiler
I felt like the character motivations didn't add up at all towards the end. Yes, Shichika is "but a sword" and "a sword chooses its wielder", but his decision to join Togame at the start of anime always felt like there must be something more to why he agreed to join her. While Togame was a tropey, endearing anime girl character, the revelation about her and her overbearing lust for vengeange made me dislike her completely. It felt like betrayal, to have a character like that just say they've put up a facade for the duration of the whole anime, point blank and only revealing it because they're dying. A facade, on grounds that were never well touched upon in the anime, making the whole plot twist feel hollow. There were some other motivations as well that I didn't completely understand, but it might be just me.

All in all, it was worth a watch.

Offline shishi02

• Gods of Time
  • "Oh cake!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 21, 2017, 05:49:15 PM »
I was watching all hero academia until my wifi got down. It was a great anime!

Offline S8N

• Overseer of Hell
  • Author/Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 21, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »
atm, Sousei no Onmyouji
I'm going to watch Crossed and Ghost in the Shell soon :D
~~~
S8N

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a giant primary school playground.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #1759 on: July 21, 2017, 05:59:11 PM »
Ghost in the shell is an awesome universe. I recommand watching the original movie twice because there are lots of details, of questions that go  beyond the movie. What means being human? What is a memory? What is a feeling? That movie unveils questions that, 15 or 20 years later, are deeply rooted in our actual society.
I really like Ghost in the shell Stand alone complex serie. The music, scenario and characters are awesome!