October 20, 2018, 07:18:26 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Shaved Ice 2.0  (Read 226 times)

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
Shaved Ice 2.0
« on: June 04, 2018, 05:44:49 PM »
editing/scrapping
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:19:32 AM by EffulgentFirefly »
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Shaved Ice 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 10:35:53 PM »
Well I don't have the time to read your chapter atm, but I can comment on the feedback thing.

I think you're mostly there, because being honest with the author about how you feel about the writing is important. Given how you describe your feelings about it though, I think what you're lacking might be the ability to also point out the positives. Good critique is about what was done well and poorly. It gives a better summation, and let's you sandwich things together, so it's not a wall of bad news or good. There needs to be a little give and take.

You also have to ask yourself "Is this something objectively wrong with the story, or something subjective?" For instance, if you find a plot hole, that's objective, and is something that you should bring attention to, but of you don't like the setting, then it's subjective, and isn't really important for the writer to hear. If something isn't strictly to your taste, then it shouldn't affect your criticism. That's just something you need to bear. Then again, if the setting is boring because it's been done to death (generic fantasy world, for instance), then you can give tips about how to make it more unique.

Ultimately, always leave it to the writer to decide if they want to accept your critique or not. Don't fight them if they reject it. That just leads to a big fight. Always encourage them to take what you say with a grain of salt. As a reviewer, we can't write their story for them. They have to figure it out for themselves. All we can do is offer some ideas, and then let it be.

I hope that helps.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• View Profile
Re: Shaved Ice 2.0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »
That's true. I always just worry that people are going to take it as a personal attack or see it as something wrong etc or that even worse, what I say is something I think is objective but is actually just me being subjective, I guess. Maybe I just worry too much. :/ Thanks, though. Really anything helps me out when it comes to me giving feedback.
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• View Profile
Future scene that needs feedback
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:46:33 PM »
editing/scrapping
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:20:02 AM by EffulgentFirefly »