October 18, 2018, 04:03:48 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Collecting art by mangaka?  (Read 124 times)

Offline Hammilton

• View Profile
Collecting art by mangaka?
« on: June 02, 2018, 06:50:59 AM »
 do any of you have any original art from any mangaka?  I've been trying to get a sketch or signature from Inio Asano for about 3 years and a couple weeks ago he was in Toronto.  Two books with sketches came for sale on eBay.  I tried getting the first when they were asking 400 but it sold in less than a day and gave up when they wanted over 700 for the second.  I actually think both prices are good deals since there is just nothing out there but I didn't have the money.  I contacted some people who were at the con to see if they had one and finally found a girl in LA who had gone to Toronto just to see him and she sold me her copy of Goodnight PunPun with one of the characters sketched inside the cover with a signature for 250. 

I also managed to get a shirt he signed from Japan (I'm less sure about the authenticity of it but it was only 100 bucks.

Besides the signed Goodnight PunPun my second most cherished piece by a mangaka is a sketch and signature by Shuzo Oshimi in a copy of Inside Mari.  That one I've had authenticated by Oshimi on Twitter.

Besides that I also have some original art from comics, an amazing page from Amazing Spider-Man 527 by Mike Deodato and another from Hanzo by HenrytheartistIam which is an incredible independent comic / manga.

I'm always looking for art especially from mangaka but I've stayed away from shikishi because they're so often faked.  Signed books are a far safer bet but less desirable because htf do you display them?  I've wanted an original page from any manga but they have proven impossible to find.  I can't even find a fake.  It would be nice to get a page from Dead Demons dedede Destruction because it's got some awesome art.  If any of those pages ever come for sale id snap them up at almost any price, I'd be surprised if they go for less than 10K though.  I'd imagine a page from One Punch Man or One Piece or any of the other prominent shonen stuff would be six digit items because of the rarity.

Here are some pics of my little collection.