June 23, 2018, 12:01:09 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Shonen Tournament Arcs  (Read 104 times)

Offline Vacant

• MR's official no.1 present wrapper
    • View Profile
Shonen Tournament Arcs
« on: May 28, 2018, 06:37:38 AM »
We all love a good shonen battle tournament arc...I think? What I want to know is what you think make a good tournament and what advice you have for writing one?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Shonen Tournament Arcs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 08:28:33 AM »
It's gotta have real stakes, real build up, real competition, and real longevity. It's got to be an event, not just something you toss in there for a few chapters if you're bored.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Aimyraude

• heya :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »
I might look dumb but...  Is it inside your story? I wonder does your story is more based on strategy or pure action it could make all the difference. Coryn is right its not something you can do lightly a tournament event is the build up of something great it must have a purpose and an objective in the end. For me there shouldnt be a tournament just because its great you need to make it important its not a good filler if in the end it doesnt had any utility in the story.
Battle scene must be really thinked in details too. fight that are too similar tend to become boring.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:05:03 PM »
I think every tournament arc has to be interrupted as a rule by the main storyline for some reason. Because I notice the troupe I hate it, but before you know the troupe it feels exciting and blows you away a little. Naruto was my favourite for that.

I think you should handle it as HxH did though: The world is large, tournaments exist and at the time it was necessary for the characters to participate in it. It was vital to their power up in learning nen, but not vital to the overall world per-se. They didn't even finish climbing the tower.

If you let your tournament be a legitimate setting in your world rather than a plot point like  HxH did, then you can avoid all the cliches. In HxH the place was still relevant because of the Hisoka vs. Chrollo fight - That is, characters returned to the same place after a while because it was relevant to the world, not the plot.

As for Naruto, the Chuunin exam never appeared again. And I'll never count Boruto. Never!

Offline suuperbean

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 04:09:53 PM »
I think often in a tournament arc the character will learn a new type of power or make a strong progression, ie HxH they learn to use the......what was it called.....the aura thing. wait I see lego already said exactly that :/
So I think to make it work it has to be something that can be looked back on as a point of development, not something that they did, it has to be memorable to the characters themselves.

typically as with any plot point, there has to be a reason to include it (author side and character side), so often that reason will be the make or break of whether it works or not. Perhaps the question to ask, is, not "should the story have one", but "would NOT having one still make the story work"