May 28, 2018, 05:57:43 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Serena's Amateur Gallery (Looking for critique)  (Read 156 times)

Offline Serena Wander

• View Profile
Serena's Amateur Gallery (Looking for critique)
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:44:13 AM »
Hey there,
  This is Serena. If you have read my post in the place for newcomers, you would know that I'm very new at drawing manga (I've started last weekend). If you haven't read that though, I strongly suggest you to read that so as to know more about me  :blush:
  I really want critique from you guys  ;D Please point out where I could improve on (which I believe there is a lot of space for improvement)  I'll add more drawings on a daily basis.
  I'm really sorry for the poor quality of the images because they are enlarged and the pictures were taken under dim light. Also, I'm using pencils and colored pencils.
  By the way, do you guys think markers are easy to control and use? I do have around twenty markers, their qualities are pretty good  ;D To be honest, I think if I were to use markers the drawings would look ten times better.
Spoiler

Enjoy every day <3

Offline Weak

• Oh man
    • View Profile
Re: Serena's Amateur Gallery (Looking for critique)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »

Wow! your draws are very cool, i liked the last one, drawing faces was the first thing i learned too haha, I felt nostalgic seeing your drawings and i have the feeling that you will evolve a lot, as long as you keep dedicating yourself of course, and maybe we'll see a pretty cool trait.

Now about what you need to improve, well, just the basics, study the poses of the characters and proportions, look for the types of faces, profile and 3/4 there are several tutorials on that out there, you will go slowly evolving then not need to hurry just go ahead :3

I'm also very curious about the next ones you will show us.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »
Good to see you starting up a gallery!

To answer the marker question: I personally love markers. I think they give great control, so long as you understand their flow and how to avoid streaking and overlapping where it isn't wanted. However, they're kind of like watercolor in that they aren't the perfect tool for everyone. It's always good to experiment with new tools and possibly look at tutorials others have done (that reminds me, I could to a marker tutorial here on MR! Writing that idea down for later...) to keep revamping your art.

As for what you've got so far, it's not bad for the first week. Are you drawing from references? That can be a really great place to start. When working with references, it's especially helpful to break down the figure into geometric shapes and parts. I know you've probably seen that in a hundred how-to books and tutorials--that's because it really is a good starting place for many beginners.

In the coloring, the two main things I'd focus on to improve are contrast and light source. If you set where the light source(s) are coming from, it's easier to place shadows. When working with shadows, let's see...it looks like you're using colored pencil. Good news is that it doesn't look like you're shading with straight black. To make things pop a little more, it can be good to use the color-opposite or temperature-opposite of the base color for shadows. For example, I often use light blues or lavenders for shading skin tones.

Another bit of super good news is that you seem to have pretty high line confidence. A lot of the lines look clean, slick, and done with one motion as opposed to a common trend where people scratch many small lines instead of going for one big one.

Offline Serena Wander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
  Thank you for you kind critiques and suggestions  ;D

I've tried revisiting the drawing I did yesterday and this time I added the use of markers too.

I seldom use markers and I'm not very good at managing it. However, I found it very useful and I think I'll get more of those for a full set, as I don't have markers for the color green, purple, flesh and etc.

Drawing from yesterday:
Spoiler

The new drawing from today!
Spoiler

To be honest, I think the new one looks just that much better in terms of coloring and the scale. Again I'm very grateful of your comments and I hope I'll receive more of these in the future  ;D

Enjoy every day <3

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »
It's definitely a lot cleaner! The markers help it pop a little more, especially given your lighting situation.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Serena Wander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »

Even more! Please provide more critique  ;D
Enjoy every day <3

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »
Hmm...something seems off to me about the width of the hips and where the legs come out from the skirt. Do you draw the whole body before putting clothes on the figure? That can help a lot with making sure that the body will be right and the clothes won't do weird things like make body parts look like they're doing things they shouldn't. It can help place wrinkles better, too, since wrinkles are only caused by about four things: push, pull, gravity, and hanging.