November 21, 2018, 08:49:50 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Opening Commissions!  (Read 387 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Opening Commissions!
« on: May 14, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
Welp, I'm finally biting the bullet, guys. I opened up 10 slots for flat color busts/badges on FurAffinity and 5 open slots on DeviantART (Oh yeah, I have a DeviantART now, even though it's still a work in progress). That said, I'll also be opening up my commissions here. But, more than that, I think it's important to discuss some of the weirdness that comes with opening commissions for the first time and I wanted to make a thread about it.

So like, where would one list one's commission prices here on MangaRaiders for example? How do you know how to price yourself?

I don't know the answer to the first one, but there are two things to keep in mind for the second one: first of all, time yourself and your art and give yourself the opportunity to make minimum wage. This is a job, after all. Secondly, take a look at what other people offer and how their "level" compares (or doesn't) to yours. You'll often find that even if you don't think you're very good, there are people out there who outright suck who are probably making more than what you'd originally offer. Don't down yourself.

Also, a word about slots: don't overwork yourself. Set a limit as to how many commissions you'll take. This prevents you from overdoing it and getting in over your head from the start.

Any further questions, comments, concerns, smart remarks, insults, and etc. are welcomed.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Commissions!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
As for posting prices, I'd use your signature to either list them directly, or have a link that directs people to where you've posted them. (Perhaps an artist wanted topic?)

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 03:03:50 PM »
That will certainly work for other raiders, but, ah, I'm at my character limit in my signature and it'd feel weird to change it now. Ah, well, I'll get over it.

Besides that, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the "x wanted" threads were specifically for people to post that they were in want of (and possibly able to pay) whatever "x" is, so wouldn't it make...sorta more sense to go to "writers wanted"? Otherwise I may have been looking at this forum weird for years now.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
Well, generally, but there are plenty of topics of people advertising their own products there as well. So I'd say it's the best option.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 05:17:39 AM »
What do you think/feel about private commissions?
When the person wants their commission to not be posted anywhere.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
I mean, if I'm getting paid, then sure. I'll delete my work files and everything when it's done. More space on my tiny little harddrive.

I also see a lot where an artist will post a commission work and say "commissioned by anonymous". Usually those are rather...interesting nsfw works, and form what I understand, a user will email the artist, whether it contains their username or otherwise, and commission the artist specifically requesting anonymity. I don't know how much art doesn't get posted due to private commissions, but hey, I don't judge.