July 21, 2018, 09:05:40 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Bleach MR: Memories Unto The Dawn  (Read 641 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Bleach MR: Memories Unto The Dawn
« on: April 22, 2018, 05:42:56 PM »
That's right folks! It's the exciting continuation to the Bleach MR universe that literally nobody knew was going to ever happen until the moment I wrote this chapter last December and just now got around to editing and fleshing out what the story was actually going to be about in my head!

But seriously, I'm here to do this little spin off of mine justice this time around, instead of just cobbling together a story before the deadline came like I did last time. So here's the first chapter, enjoy!

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 1

Captain Noisey of the 10th Division strolled down the wide avenues of the Seireitei, a gentle puff-puff of water vapor following him wherever he went. He pulled his woolen scarf tighter as he walked, a feeble attempt to keep out the cold. “Those two had better have ordered some tea for when I get there…” The captain murmured to no one in particular. It was just as well, for the streets were nearly free of souls, as anyone without business was keeping indoors to avoid the winter chill. It went without saying that this included his vice-captain, who was perfectly satisfied to stay at headquarters and bury her thoughts in one of the many esoteric books she kept on her person at seemingly all times. ‘I’ll be just fine by myself.’, she had said, 'Although I would prefer if you bring back a few things, since you're going out anyway.’ she had continued, with just enough inflection in her voice to make it clear that she would prefer for her captain to take his time, and not bother her for a few hours.
        In fact, after looking at the list, Noisey wasn't entirely sure it was all legal. But he had been in the game long enough to understand that if you were a captain, you let your vice-captain get away with the little indiscretions, so that they would let you get away with the big ones. It was after all, ultimately within a captain's purview to challenge the chain of command when the chain of command was being daft.
        And that's just the way he liked it.
        Still, he would have preferred if the chain of command was being anything. Life had been quiet in the year and a half since the Night of Maggot’s Dance, and he was beginning to wonder if it would be safe to take a long overdue holiday to the World of the Living. “Maybe someplace warm.” He remarked to himself as he reached his destination.

“Welcome Sir! Please follow me, your table is in the back!” Chimed the waitress, and she beckoned for him to follow.
        As drinking spots went, it was passable for a respectable captain such as himself to be found there. This was, after all, still the Seireitei. But its usual clientele was going to lean closer to your average low ranking soul reaper. Still, he couldn't argue with their prices, and he was a man of his troops. It was good for morale for the captain to be seen associating with his division. Although he wished they would keep their voices to a dull roar. “Excuse me miss, but how many patrons do you have right now?”
        She seemed genuinely surprised. “Just your party sir. They arrived several hours ago.”
        Noisey's heart sank as they reach the door to his room. “In that case, I'd like an order of hot tea for the room.” As the waitress hurried off, Noisey stepped into the reserved space. Inside, Vacant, Captain of the 3rd Division, and Lego, Captain of the 11th Division were creating such a racket that it was hard to believe that only two voices were responsible for it.
        Finally settling down, Noisey was quickly accosted by Lego grabbing his collar. “Hey, hey Noisey! Check this out. Vacant, check this out!” Lego rose about half way up, reached towards where he expected his sword to be, realized he had set it on the floor next to the table, and fell over attempting to pick it up. “That time didn't count…”
        Vacant gently scratched his beard as he watched the farce happening before his eyes. “He tried the same trick half an hour ago. Didn't work then either. Glad you could make it mate. Need a drink?” He gestured at Noisey with a sake bottle, the warm liquid inside sloshing back and forth.
        “I've just ordered tea actually. But what happened to you two? Wasn't the point of this meetup to discuss joint division training?”
        Vacant took a moment to ponder the question before responding. “Well about that, Sken was supposed to be here too, but he got railroaded into giving lessons at the academy today in order to make up for destroying it last year.”
        In fact, they had all been paying a penance for their actions the previous year. Coryn had gotten off relatively lightly compared to Vacant, who had taken out the majority of the 8th Division’s barracks. The 3rd was ordered to house them in their own headquarters until that section of the Seireitei had been rebuilt. Lego had been made to cover the damages to Execution Hill, which came with a high price for restoration of such an ancient site. So all things being equal, a few classes here and there were a light sentence.
        Lego was finally upright again. “Wass they got him teaching? Stupid science it bet! Unethical!”
        “Zanjutsu I think.” Replied Vacant. “Believe it or not, he was the top ranked swordsman in our class. Not that it mattered to us much. Noisey and I were never swordsmen to begin with.” He turned back to Noisey, “So as I was telling Lego then, we should just show up early, have a few bottles, then do a cheeky bite with Coryn when he gets released.”
        “I see.” Was Noisey's only reply. He would have said more, but was interrupted by Lego.
        “Who says he's so good with a sword!”
        “I...I did?” Replied Vacant.
        Kenpachi was not impressed. “He doesn't even use his sword! Keeps it all wrapped up like a mummy! I bet I'm a better swordsman! I bet...I bet it's super small and he's just ashamed! That's why he just throws those magic lights around! I'm the Kenpachi gosh darn it!”
        Noisey was finally getting into it, and nearly busted out laughing. “Lego, mate, I think I you need to slow down.” He pushed forward the tea that had arrived while they talked. “If you got into a fight at the Academy, I'm pretty sure most of the students could take you down right now.”
        Lego smiled belligerently. “Noisey my friend, when man drinks milk, nothing is impossible!”
        “W-what?!”
        “I'm going! Someone pay my tab! I'm gonna kick someone's ass!”

The other two captains quieted the Kenpachi’s immediate bloodlust, but after a pot of tea, a quick detour to an okonomiyaki stall, and a few hours, the motley crew finally arrived at the Spiritual Arts Academy with Noisey's imposing frame leading them. Vacant was mostly himself again, but Lego was beginning to slip into 'completely useless’ territory. “Why are we here again? And where is here?”
        “It's the Academy. We're here to collect Coryn remember?”
        “Fight Sken?”
        “You know what I said. But you should know where we are, you went here.” Noisey was beginning to look worried.
        “Yesh, yes I did. But they kicked me out for 'social maladjustment’. Shows what they know, I can command people all day!” Lego said it with a degree of enthusiasm that the 10th captain found unnerving.
        “I think I liked it better when you two didn't get along.”
        They eventually found who they were looking for in one of the academy dojos. The doors were open to keep the combatants cool, and they could see Coryn standing at the center of the room, his long hair tied back. Students sat along the back wall, occasionally rising to engage their substitute teacher, only to beaten off with a few strikes, and sent back to signal the next student.
        Coryn had removed his haori, but it was clear that he was yet to break a sweat. It would take more than a few dozen recruits to challenge a captain of the Gotei 13. Noisey scratched at his beard and wondered if any of them had the potential to become captains themselves, or if they were destined to die in some far of place fighting a two-bit hollow.
        They stood and watched with varying degrees of patience. And while Coryn made no mention of them, it was clear that several of the students were growing uneasy at the site of four captains all gathered together. That, and Lego was radiating an aura of killing intent in the general direction of the universe at large, as he began to slip into a well earned hangover. Finally though, the line of students reached its end, and the class was dismissed. Coryn placed his wooden sword on a nearby rack, and donned his haori which he had left hanging besides it. “It warms my heart that you came all the way out here to get me, but it looks like you fell down a flight or three of stairs on the way. What kind of captain gets this drunk in the middle of the day?”
        Vacant replied with sarcasm laced in his voice. “Maybe it's you who has the problem! I remember when the three of us would get drunk during the day all the time!”
        Coryn sighed. “Maybe a few hundred years ago. But now we're the ones doing the fighting and dying when real trouble breaks out.”
        “Amen to that! There hasn't been enough to do around here for months!” Cried Lego, who was somewhat missing the point.
        The 12th Division captain could only shrug at the remark. “Well with that settled, let's find someplace warm and go over the details of this training program.”
        Together the captains set out. But they shared a sense of unease. Noisey had felt it on his way out of his office. Lego had felt it when his drink was first served. Vacant had woken up feeling it. And Coryn could feel it as he sparred with the Academy students. Each had dismissed it as nothing. Each was wrong.
        The captains were being watched.
        The Seireitei was being watched.
        The whole Soul Society was being watched.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Bleach MR: Memories Unto The Dawn
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
Is it Arrancar level threats, or Bach level threat?

Oh gawd the canon should totally reach such ludicrious levels of fighting against quincy.

Wait a minute there's opportunity for Quincies in this fan fic.

Wait a minute I feel like I sound like Donald Trump when hitting that sake. But yes I have the best sword fighting skill. The most beautiful. Bigly. Yes.

Man this was a welcome treat. Looks like this writing-on-the-go thing is working out pretty well for you, Coryn.

Actually pretty interested in what Vacant and No1sey will be up to. Will there be a chance to see new Taicho's and Fuku-taichous?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
Oh good, I'm not jumping right into a Yawach level threat (if ever). I'm still not sure I wanted actual bleach to go that direction man. (Not to mention those guys had like, no rules you can reliably follow. Kubo was just throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck. Quincies only use bows and arrows my foot)

Drunk slurring is hard to write. Especially when you're trying to write as someone else.. But I don't foresee much more of that in this diddy.

I definitely have plans to reveal more captains and such, but it's hard to fill out the roster. The first installment in this universe was mainly based around the Happy Hour crew, so you can expect those guys at least. Bit I obviously want to work in the Raiders we know have a love for Bleach the most. But even once you decide you're putting someone in, you realize you now must at least create a shikai for them, if not a bankai. Noisey's came easily for shikai, but I still don't know how his bankai will work. It's such a cop out too, to just be like "it's shikai but with a massive power up". That works for a couple characters, but more often than not you want it to really ascend to another level.

So for this fix, you can reliably count on a deeper dive in noisey, as well as the abilities of the known captains not displayed in the first fix, but I want to save some cards for later.

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 09:52:22 PM »
I had a feeling this was coming eventually. Great start indeed, Coryn! Curious as to what the next threat to the soul society is gonna be.

If extra bodies are needed to fill in the roster, then I'll be glad to throw my hat into the ring.  Got a couple shikai and bankai ideas in mind to save you the trouble, if you're interested.
"One plus one equals one on a bun."
                     -Ed

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:09:04 PM »
Thanks Fro!

Personalized zonpakuto ideas are always welcome. There's an old topic in the now much forgotten bleach section about just that thing, which is where I got Lego's from in my first Bleach MR story. So yeah, hit me with it, and who knows. Maybe you'll be a surprise add as the other afroed gotei 13 member.

Of course, I reserve the right to curtail you if you're too OP. I theoretically got 8 captains and 12 vice captains to fill in yet after all, so I have to maintain so.e level of balance in the meta.  :tongue:

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »
These days I watch all those Bleach Arc series I skipped or missed. last week I watch the Arc about a guy making clones or Captains and lieutenant. This one is really good. It has some good action like Urahara battling with his own clone. You get to see stuff his sword does. I really miss Bleach. I have yet to find a Anime good as that one.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
Bleach did have some solid filler in it. That's kinda what I'm pulling a lot of my inspiration from (that and the movies). It was always nice seeing Bleach move at a clip that wasn't entirely sloth like. Boom boom, onto the next thing. No time to spend five episodes watching a single vice captain fight.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
Did you ever explain what sort of nasty ability Vacant's zanpakutou has? He crushed his opponent pretty badly.

And word. Quincy's only use bow and arrows my ass. Kirgie Opie's ability wasn't too off the rails, but beyond that it just kept on getting worse and worse.

It wasn't even freaking necessary, really. That 'Blut Vene and Blut Arterie' system could've been used so well to make for some interesting fights.

Dammit Kubo.

How soonish are you expecting to write new chapters, by the by?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
His power is basically a "destructive force" that shreds whatever it comes into contact with. Like cartoon piranhas.

Well, I'm working on the next Quest! chapter right now, so probably get back to this in the next couple of weeks.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »
Well, this was a great thing to click on first as a celebration of my return for the summer.

If I get thrown in as a random extra, put me in squad 2 or 11.

Looking forward to see what you wind up churning out, Coryn. Consider me a follower.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 12:08:14 AM »
Thanks for the interest Mahlua! Alas, you were already revealed back in the first story, (Vice Captain, 10th Division), so no can do on the placement request.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »
A little longer, a little more action, some intrigue. I give you chapter 2. Let me know what you make of this development!

CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 2

The captains broke company just after dusk. The newly fallen darkness brought a renewed cold along with it, and the captains pulled their kimonos tight as they began the trek home. Although the clouds had cleared and light from the moon reflected across the fresh snow, the streets felt dark and claustrophobic. It was as if a pall had been cast across the Seireitei.
        Vacant was the first to return to his barracks. All was quiet within the walls, and he gave a nod to the night guardsmen as he passed through the gate. He still had not shaken the sense that he was being watched, so as he entered his personal quarters and lit the stove to warm himself, Vacant neglected to set his zanpakuto down.
        While the fire grew, Vacant donned a thick hanten to keep out the chill, and settled into a chair which looked out a window and over the Seireitei. His back was exposed, and he knew it. Vacant yawned, slumped down into a comfortable position, and waited.

The 11th Division captain had been visibly irritated at the planning meeting. Lego spent most of the meeting glancing out the side of his eyes, staring at the doors and windows of the conference room. It was the behavior of a man suspicious he was being looked at. Noisey too, shared this feeling, and it was why he was now serendipitously following his fellow captain home.
        It was not unreasonable of course. The 10th’s barracks were located past the 11th’s, so it was by pure chance of geography that Noisey was following him. But, it still proved as an excellent opportunity to keep an eye on Lego. Whatever it was, it was definitely bothering the Kenpachi far worse than it was Noisey. With some luck, neither the presence or his comrade would realize what Noisey was up to.
        Lego, for his part, continued on silently through the night with the exception of an occasional shiver. The cold was only partially responsible though. He could feel something closing in. The shape of it was taking form in his mind. It was someone powerful, and they meant to attack him. Of that he was sure, and the anticipation was driving him mad. Finally though, Lego found himself on a narrow street. Noisey had taken to the rooftops to follow, and from there he spotted them. A dark figure emerged from the shadows. Noisey gripped his blade, Lego tightened his fist, and when the assailant struck, they were ready.

The fire had settled down from its initial blaze, and now only cast a dim glow across the room. Vacant had not stirred from his position, but he knew his patience was about to be rewarded. The door to his room was softly slid open. Vacant heard no footsteps. He felt no killing intent and sensed no reiatsu. Whoever it was was good, but he would prove to be better. Vacant followed their position in his mind’s eye, and when they moved into striking distance, he spun around from the chair to face them. “It's a mistake to sneak up on-!” The captain cut himself off. His would be assassin was far closer than he had imagined. The dark shadow of them filled Vacant's vision. His eyes darted up to their outstretched hand, and there Vacant saw a jagged knife plunging towards his neck. Vacant moved to flash step out of the way, but he knew it was already too late. He was too slow. The aggressor was too fast. This was the end.
        Even as thoughts of his own demise and past life flashed through his mind, Vacant heard the voice of Coryn Sken call out from behind him, clear as day. “Hado #4, Byakurai!” For a split second, Vacant considered how it was a strange last thought to have, until a bolt of blue lighting erupted over his head. It smashed into the attacker’s midsection, and sent them blasting out the opposite wall of Vacant’s room.
        Vacant turned, and found Coryn climbing in through the now open window. “I hope you don't mind, but I noticed they were following you when we left the meeting.”
        Vacant breathed a sigh of relief. “I'll forgive the home invasion this time. How the Hell did he get into the Seireitei?”
        “We'll figure it out later.” Coryn dropped onto the floor and dashed off through the hole in the wall. “First we need to capture him!” Vacant tossed of his hanten and fell in behind Coryn. Neither said the word, but had both seen the same thing in the pale blue light of the kido spell. Strange white clothes, sword at the waist, fanged skull-plate atop the head, and finally: a perfect, dark hole directly through the chest. There could be no mistake. An arrancar had infiltrated the Soul Society.

The shadow struck, and Lego struck back. His fist sailed through the air, breaking, he was sure, several land speed records. Somehow, the figure ducked below the strike, and slid past the captain. Lego spun on his heel to catch his target, but was stopped dead as Noisey plunged down with sword drawn directly before him. Incredibly, the assailant dodged this second sneak attack as well with sonido. They appeared several dozen yards down the street, but this time they stood in the light, and the captains could take a good look at their quarry.
        It was a female arrancar. She was not so young as to be called a child, but it would be hard to call her an adult. Her white clothes revealed a hole in her stomach, a sword at her side, and a lower jaw encased in her skull fragment. Two sharp fangs rose up from it, nearly coming to her eyes. It was what she held in her outstretched hand which gave the captains pause however. She possessed a wavy dagger, which looked to have been carved from a single piece of bone, or perhaps a more shocking possibility: the mask of a hollow.
        Lego was still seething, so Noisey stepped forward, although he pointedly left his guard up. “What is your name? How did you infiltrate the Soul Society?” The arrancar hesitated for a moment, and Lego used it to strike. He roared past Noisey on a torrent of golden reishi, and drew his blade as he flew. Lego expected her to block using the strange dagger, but unexpectedly, she whipped out her own blade to counter with instead. The captain got a chance to study her zanpakuto as he pushed her back. It was of the normal katana design, but she held it in a reverse grip. She broke Lego's concentration with a slash by the dagger, and he was forced to disengage. Lego landed atop a nearby wall, and Noisey took up position on the opposite side of the street. The young arrancar stood between them
        From Noisey’s perspective, she was clearly outmatched. If her intention had been to dispatch Kenpachi with a sneak attack, then her mission had already failed. An assassin of her caliber should be fleeing the field. Did she not believe she could escape? Or, had this just become a suicide mission for her? Noisey couldn't be sure, but he did know he preferred to capture her. “Bakudo #4, Hainawa!” crackling yellow energy burst from Noisey's hands. The long tendril rushed out and caught the arrancar by the arm which held her zanpakuto. Noisey shouted. “Lego, grab the knife off of her!”
        “I've got it!” Yelled Lego, and he flashed stepped in front of her. By the time the girl realized he was there, he had already snatched the blade from her, and took hold of her now empty hand. This finally warranted a response from her.
        “Don't touch that!” She bellowed.
        Lego smirked at her, and tossed the arm he held into the spell which bound her other hand. It took hold just as tightly on the other, and she found herself effectively immobilized. The Kenpachi sheathed his own sword, and began to toss the dagger around while Noisey climbed down from the rooftops. The blade was extremely light, and incredibly well balanced despite its unconventional design. When Noisey hit the street however, it momentarily distracted Lego mid toss, and when it came down, it nicked his finger before bouncing off onto the ground.
        The hairs on Lego's neck stood straight out. All sound seemed to abandon the area, only to be replaced by a loud, smacking hum. Lego turned. All around him rose a great, gaping maw. Teeth made of reality itself stretched out. The captain turned back to Noisey and the arrancar girl. Before he could say a word, the garganta swallowed him whole.

Coryn and Vacant pursued their prey across the rooftops of the Seireitei. The young arrancar was quick, but now that he was no longer suppressing his reiatsu, it was clear that he was not overly strong. During the chase, the two captains had made note of a wakizashi at his hip, and a jagged dagger of what looked like bone in his hand. Having recognized their range advantage, the two captains kept the heat up by launching low level hado spells, but the arrancar had made short work of dodging them so far.
        Just when the pair of captains were about to get serious about taking him out, the arrancar dropped into a clear courtyard and took up a low stance. He kept the dagger out in front of him, and left his free hand hidden behind himself. Vacant and Coryn touched down together, and immediately set out in two directions to encircle the arrancar. Vacant said. “Keep an eye out on that left hand. He's baiting for a cero.” Coryn nodded in reply, and sped up his pace.
        Once surrounded, the arrancar did not break his composure. His breathing remained calm and steady. He did not falter in his stance, but it was defensive and reactionary. As long as the captains moved carefully, the arrancar could not strike back until they struck first. He did not know what they would do, but luckily, they did. Coryn formed a cross with his hands. “Hado #32, Okasen!” The spell was normally used in conjunction with a zanpakuto, but in this case the golden energy was concentrated into Coryn's forward-most hand. It sent a tight, arced beam of magic crashing into the ground directly before the arrancar’s feet. Predictably, he leaped into the air as the paving stones beneath him exploded. This gave Vacant his opening, and the captain of the 3rd burst through the dust cloud sword drawn. Vacant swung, and the arrancar parried with the dagger. As Vacant's sword was knocked away, the arrancar raised the finger of his free hand. A red bead of energy already floated at its tip, but Vacant had no time left to dodge. Instead, the captain raised an arm to block, closed his eyes, and braced himself. When the cero fired however, it missed him completely. Vacant opened his eyes to find the cero harmlessly sailing off into the sky. Coryn had grabbed the young arrancar's arm and yanked it back towards himself. Before the cero had run its course, the arrancar twisted out of Coryn's grip. He slashed at the captain with the dagger, which Coryn managed to avoid, but the cero had destroyed several nearby buildings as it petered out.
        All three combatants dropped to the ground, and rested for a moment as the alarm went up throughout the Seireitei. It had been a relatively minor scuffle so far, and that could slip below the radar, but a cero being fired off into the night sky was somewhat harder to ignore. The captains now had a choice to make. Either they could wait for backup and force a more peaceful surrender through shear force of numbers, or they could take the arrancar now, and keep their fellow shinigami out of harm's way.
        They decided on the later.
        “Bakudo #30, Sh*totsu Sansen!”
        “Bakudo #62, Hyapporankan!”
        Vacant's spell struck first. Three wedges of yellow light caught the arrancar by the arms and one of his legs. He was sent hurtling back towards the courtyard wall, but before he could reach it, Coryn's kido caught up to the first. The single blue-white rod he had thrown burst into a hundred. Together the two spells carried a much greater power, and their combined energy slammed the arrancar to the wall with enough force that he nearly blacked out.
        The threat mitigated, both captains cautiously approached the arrancar. Despite everything, he had yet to relinquish the strange dagger. Other voices could be heard in the distance now, and the captains saw fit to relieve him of his armaments before they arrived. But as they closed in, the arrancar finally spoke. “I have to finish, what we started…” It was a voice of resolve, and the captains did not like its tone. But before they could contemplate it further, the arrancar's reishi flared up. He broke his right arm free, and instead of attacking either Vacant or Coryn, he brought the dagger back, and plunged it into his own flesh.
        Their bodies reacted on their own. Vacant grabbed the right arm, pinning it to the wall with his own strength. Coryn held back the other arm with one hand, and snatched the arrancar's wakizashi away with the other. It was too late however. In their haste they hadn't recognized the bigger picture until it was too late. The garganta consumed the arrancar, and with him, the two captains which restrained him. A moment later when reinforcements arrived, they would find only an empty square, and more questions than answers.

Noisey had witnessed the cero being fired, but he had no time to help his comrades. Once it had become a one on one fight, the female arrancar had proved herself to be more than adequate for the task. The snow had returned in force, and she was using it to great effect to hide her movements.
        Noisey had lost hold of her when Lego had been taken by the garganta, and she had managed to reclaim the dagger which had apparently been responsible for summoning the portal. If she managed to cut him, he wouldn't be getting a second chance. Worse still, he could no longer sense Coryn or Vacant. There was no chance the two of them could have been defeated outright. But, it was entirely possible they could have been taken by surprise, as         Lego had. Whatever was going on, Noisey was going to need that knife.
        He struck at the arrancar through the snow. Sure enough, she blocked his strike with her katana, and riposted with the dagger. Noisey flash stepped out of the way, but she kept up the pressure, and despite her lack of physical strength, kept him on the back foot through speed alone. Noisey contemplated releasing his zanpakuto, but he could not risk the arrancar escalating the fight by using her resurreccion. Further still, three captains had already been dispatched via the garganta. The 10th Division captain could not in good conscience leave them to their fates, or leave an arrancar lose in Soul Society. The rest of the Gotei 13 would have to do what was necessary in the aftermath. In this moment, Noisey would do what be must.
        Noisey rushed the arrancar. She jabbed at him with the dagger, but instead of doing anything to avoid it, Noisey stretched out his hand, and let it pass straight through. By the expression on her face, the arrancar had not been expecting this turn of events. Even less so, for the captain to push the blade all the way up to the hilt, and grab hold of her hand as well. She screamed at him to release her, but it was too late. They disappeared into the throat of the garganta together.

Aside from the pitter patter of searching feet through the roads, the Seireitei had grown quiet. The morning sun was rising, and if you had not known of the battles the previous night, you might not assume anything was amiss. There had been minimal damage, and yet there was the lingering reiatsu of two arrancars. Their fight could not have lasted more than ten minutes, and yet four captains were unaccounted for. Corycaly had been the captain of the 13th Division for over one-thousand, and yet she could not explain what she was looking at.
        As she watched the shinigami below her examine the scene at the courtyard, a messenger appeared behind Corycaly. She turned to meet them. “Yes?”
        The messenger lowered their head. “Ma’am, the Captain-Commander is calling an emergency meeting. Your presence is requested immediately.”
        Corycaly nodded. “Of course. Notify my divisional leaders. Let them know the Vice-Captain is in charge of the investigation until I return.” The messenger disappeared with only a curt nod. And the captain took one last look at the courtyard. “Those young ones better know what they're doing.”

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:59:38 PM by Coryn »

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 07:25:00 PM »
Nice action in this chapter, Coryn! Good pacing and it was pretty easy to follow. One of the Bakudo spells randomly got censored for some reason. I think it was #30.

And Corycaly makes an appearance, yes! For some reason I'm already associating her character to mirror Unohana in some way.
"One plus one equals one on a bun."
                     -Ed

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »
Ah yes, once again the curse of "sh*t in japanese is not the same as sh*t in english" strikes again.

Seemed a bit too on point to make her straight up the Unohana parallel, but hey, it only makes sense that she'd have been a long running captain.

Maybe we'll see more of her a little later on, maybe not... I'm still deciding a lot of stuff for this thing. I got the basic ideas worked out, but it's like there's still a lot of flavor text to fill in.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 08:42:36 PM »
Is saying "until it was too late" in two sentences one after the other part of that flavor? xD

That and a spacing issue before Lego's name are the only two weird spots I found in this one.

Other than that, I'm definitely interested to see where this will go. Did the captains and arrancars get sucked into another dimension? What will show up in the investigation? Who knows?