March 29, 2024, 07:17:50 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Aimy's handy tutorial  (Read 12056 times)

Offline Aimyraude

• heya :3
    • View Profile
Aimy's handy tutorial
« on: April 21, 2018, 11:33:40 PM »
Hi there i just thought of doing some tutorials i might not be the best artist but i'd like to help other aspiring artist and do some drawing tutorial. However, i don't really know what people are looking for so i am asking here what kind of tutorial would you like personnally. I'll do my best to do those tutorials and share them online so beginner can have a helpful ressource. Drawing books are expensive and mostly dont show essential stuff as they all show the same things... is there anything you would like to know that you dont.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of tutorial are you looking for?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:20:56 AM »
I'm not much of an artist myself, but if there's one thing a lot of people around here need help grasping with, that would be some anatomy.

I'm not throwing shade on anyone, but people who come in looking to draw the manga style temd to not realize just how important anatomy is. So it's always helpful.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 01:58:06 AM »
Yeah you're right! Anatomy is complex even for pro's so beginner really tend to struggle i will do some tutorial on that. However to understand anatomy is not easy for beginner artist so i guess i'll call those intermediary tutorials. Thanks for the pointers i'll study more about anatomy to find a way to simplify it the best i can.

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:14:22 AM »
General drawing tutorials or manga drawing tutorials?

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 09:55:52 AM »
I want something more precise ahahah  :D I just want to give myself an order of priority as i have some knowledge but i want to know where to begin with it. Like what should i start with head, body expression, fluidity, hands, feet.

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 10:31:15 PM »
This is thoughtful of you. OwO Yeah, anatomy tutorials would be helpful.
If you're still thinking of doing these, I have a couple suggestions.

Not sure how beginner to go but, I'm personally interested in references of how to draw necks and upper bodies properly. Upper body as in how the shoulders connect to the torso and such. For necks, I've started to notice in my own drawings I make them too thin? So just some pointers on where the lines should connect so as to not look awkward would be nice.
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline TEA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:53:03 AM »
Proko's videos on Youtube are really good for anatomy.

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 11:51:31 PM »
Sure i can easily do that echo_river
As for you tea proko's video are really good indeed but not for beginners  :-\  its easy to do the same but most beginners wont be able to transfer real anatomy to stilized characters so i guess i'll do a tutorial for manga style to begin with even if my style is more indie  :thumbsup:
Might do more than a style though just for fun so it can help more person with different drawing style.

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 12:57:16 AM »
So for me the error i see everywhere is about the torso first people dont know its anatomy which is quite normal and second they think doing base construction line is unnecessary. You are wrong ! Even for experienced artist using some guides help to give the essential life to the character. Lemme explain... anybody can draw a stickman

Here's Bob: i know bob is not really pretty but thats not our goal for now
Spoiler

Bob can do many poses as long as there is no perspective related. If you try to do foreshortening bob might look like a very diform stickman here's a very exagerated exemple you cant really tell what bob is doing but when i add the shapes its somehow easier to understand his pose
Spoiler

Now after this little introduction to stickman which was totally unnecessary lemme introduce the errors people often do drawing torso!

First of all the easiest one to see is the stiff body. Most of the time beginner start by drawing the head then the body. First step is drawing your action line then you can draw your body it doesnt need to be a big curved line but it will help you understand the movement of the torso.

Second error is about the neck connection people often think it is a cilinder going out from the torso but its a little more complicated than that.

Then people struggle to add the shoulders are they inside or outside the body??? well both at the same time.

finally people struggle to connect the rib cage to the hip they often draw the body as a big square

My first tuto is going to be for torso facing front its a technique i use which is very efficient for beginners and can be upgraded for expert lets start by the beginner part : for this example i used some drawing gesture i did without references the goal is to draw quickly so it wont look perfect but it doesnt need to be.

first step is to find your head position and orientation then draw the line of action. Dont do S shapes in your line it just confuse artist. I suggest you try on reference pictures
Spoiler

Second step is to place the rib cage and the hips
Spoiler

third step is a little more complicated as long as your character is facing you it will be easy if he is in angle use you action line as a reference to draw those guides start from the sides of your rib cage and go to the bottom of the hip like illustrated
Spoiler

fourth step you find the middle between your rib cage and the hip then you draw a line like you can see here the next step is to do the same we did earlier with the rib cage you start from the side of the hips and reach the guides at the height of our line
Spoiler

Finally if you carve a hip shape and a rib cage shape following the guides we did you earn a beautiful dynamic torso wich doesnt look like a square

Spoiler

Now maybe you say to yourself wait... hold on a second aim isnt it too feminine ? well i have a simple trick for that too just draw the line between the side and the middle of the body and use it to draw the side of the body it needs a little more practic but its fast enough to learn.
Spoiler
3/4
Spoiler

hope it helped a little this technique connect the neck a little better than beginner tend to do it but its not perfect you still need to be critic to your own work and correct if anything look edgy.

Question of weight? (new part)

Now you know how to do my base but you might want to have a little more meat on the bones not every character have athletic shapes here's an easy way to had a little weight to your character
Spoiler
Spoiler
It was an easier vrsion of the base i usually do
Spoiler

Hope it helps you If there is anything you dont understand ask me ill try to answer my best! Next tutorial will be about the torso on profile view.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 05:08:46 AM »
Holy smokes Aimy that looks amazing. I've always wanted to be able to wrap forms around my figures like that. It looks already so much like musculature it can't take too many steps to add such things later down the line. Thanks for the tutorial!

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
Thanks lego i really tried to make it easy to understand and i'm really happy you like it!

This is a technique i created because i felt the normal bases we learn aren't accurate when it comes to musculature you can use my base and add all the muscle really easily it was supposed to be the next tutorial but here it is.
(Muscle can differ from a person to another but this is the main guidelines dont be scared to play with it)

those who doesnt know anatomy might ask themselve why all those lines are here? Why do you draw the rib isnt a circle enough? and seriously SUPERMAN PANTIES?!?! You might think it is only aesthetic and you dont need that kind of stuff but i'm gonna show you how useful they are!

This is a very simple musculature but hey... its all you need to make it look perfect Only 5 steps! (it only applies for front orientation  :tongue:)

First lemme show you a reference picture so you have a slight idea of what musculature looks like
Spoiler
(its coming from 123RF.com i didnt draw that)

So my first step is really easy everything will be dont worry you just have to trace those guides :)
Spoiler

Aimy.... i still have some difficulties to do that something really look off...
Well maybe you didnt see your proportions are off. Try to draw this (it can be used to find the nipple position its an equilateral triangle just take in consideration women breast are affected by gravity so the bigger the breast is, the lower the nipple might be)
Spoiler

This is where the rib cage becomes a good ally you can draw your abs like a god  before that lemme show you an error people do often!!! Then the good way to do it anatomically speaking
Spoiler

Third step we add some more muscles on the sides
Spoiler

Fourth step why dont we add the pectoral muscle and the shoulders (pay attention it could help you do shoulder but i'll do an entire tutorial on that which is more accurate)
Spoiler

Last step you can had the neck!!! dont worry this part will have its own tutorial too!
Spoiler

Here's the final result all together
Spoiler

This is an easy tutorial on muscle once you made the base correctly adding the muscle doesnt need hard mental mathematics

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
Re: Aimy's handy tutorial
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 07:45:43 PM »
Informative and easy to understand tutorials - thank you for sharing Aimy. I found it really helpful!
I hope to see more tutorials from you in the future if you plan to do anymore XD
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 02:52:06 AM »
great breakdown on the body into very correct but simple shapes. I hope to try this out at some point.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 10:41:44 PM »
Loving that expansive next tutorial aimy. I used to use that site for reference all the time but despaired at the complexity at the musculature and stuff. This really encourages me to draw stuff even when it's hard. Looks like step-by-step really makes huge tasks seem manageable.

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 10:54:29 AM »
Thanks :) i tried to really make it easy for you guys so i hope any of those Who tried it felt it was easy and intuitive. I'm thinking about my next tutorial