October 22, 2018, 11:56:38 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Politics of Anime  (Read 733 times)

Offline HaKhan

• View Profile
Politics of Anime
« on: April 19, 2018, 01:46:58 AM »
Hi.

I want to make anime and I have great characters that people already like a lot.

The question I have is, is there like political censorship in anime?

I want to make something real and relevent (and possibly a bit crazy) and merge it with current global events like Iran and North Korea nuclear weapons development.

Sometimes I feel that there is an entire segment of society that won't accept entertainment unless the story has a 'liberal-progressive' moral to it.

I wouldn't say I'm conservative or liberal but I have opinion that doesn't conform to really any party line.

I wonder if this is different in anime?

I see a lot of different thought lines in anime as opposed to regular Hollywood which is good.

It seems like to get a film I want made with actors would be impossible political hurdles to overcome, but with Anime/Manga I could maybe make the story I want.

Offline TEA

• View Profile
Re: Politics of Anime
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »
As long as it's interesting it will find an audience. I'm not sure what you mean by political censorship though? Can you elaborate on what you mean a bit more regarding liberal progressive values?

Offline HaKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 02:27:30 PM »
I'm from Berkeley California and live in the Bay Area.

I work in Oakland which is ok, at least better than SF and Silicon Valley.

Liberal progressive is things like printing up posters with the = sign and a gay rainbow.

And putting up signs that say "Oakland stands unitied against hate"

Where hate is sort of an undefined variable which can mean any idea that disagrees with us.

And censorship is then the act of an online media outlet doing things like moderating some comments and allowing others to create an artificial consensus etc...

What I have is interesting and original so I think it will find an audience but I need some animation because people aren't satisfied with story only.

As long as it's interesting it will find an audience. I'm not sure what you mean by political censorship though? Can you elaborate on what you mean a bit more regarding liberal progressive values?

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 03:53:39 PM »
Hello HaKhan. Be sure to introduce yourself to us properly in the Welcome Center. Also the basic rules are 'constructively critique other people's stories if you want your story to be read', and ah, no links until you hit 25 posts.

As far as audience is concerned this is Japan you're talking about here. We've all seen stuff. So long as the story is good and engaging and the market likes it then it'll be likely to fly.

Offline MK

• Super Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
I'd say that many companies would be pretty careful about picking up anything political unless it is really the side they support (mostly because they can get backlash if it offends people), but it's not impossible.  I did try looking up some stuff and I did come across this article.

Offline HaKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »
Hello HaKhan. Be sure to introduce yourself to us properly in the Welcome Center. Also the basic rules are 'constructively critique other people's stories if you want your story to be read', and ah, no links until you hit 25 posts.

As far as audience is concerned this is Japan you're talking about here. We've all seen stuff. So long as the story is good and engaging and the market likes it then it'll be likely to fly.

Ok. Won't post links sorry but it is grounding info for topic and there isn't even anything for sale on the site yet really.

As far as Japan I find it interesting that there are no Mongolian themed anime considering in terms of war Genghis Khan conquered like a monster devouring all the middle east and China.

Japanese anime like all the swords and stuff how about colorful mongol themed horsemanship and long-bows in an anime.

That is part of my competitive differentiation idea and part of my story takes place in Siberia near the border where lake baikal is.

So the idea is applying Genghis Khan (or other similar Warlords like Attila the Hun) to animation culture and combining with other products.

Online Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 09:45:30 PM »
Well, if I recall my history correctly, Japan has something of a tenuous past with the Mongols. We do see plenty of media coverage for their own conquering warlords though. You can't throw a stone without striking a show about Oda.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline TEA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 02:27:19 AM »
I'm from Berkeley California and live in the Bay Area.

I work in Oakland which is ok, at least better than SF and Silicon Valley.

Liberal progressive is things like printing up posters with the = sign and a gay rainbow.

And putting up signs that say "Oakland stands unitied against hate"

Where hate is sort of an undefined variable which can mean any idea that disagrees with us.

And censorship is then the act of an online media outlet doing things like moderating some comments and allowing others to create an artificial consensus etc...

What I have is interesting and original so I think it will find an audience but I need some animation because people aren't satisfied with story only.

Well for one I don't think an animation company will pick up your story anyway unless it's already established somewhere and has an audience already. It's all about business, if what you're describing goes against the grain too much then I can see some problems with it from a business perspective.

Also unless you're an already established author I don't think people would care too much. Execution is more important than the idea generally. Do you have the story written down anywhere or is it simply in your head?

Offline HaKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 03:50:30 AM »

Well for one I don't think an animation company will pick up your story anyway unless it's already established somewhere and has an audience already. It's all about business, if what you're describing goes against the grain too much then I can see some problems with it from a business perspective.

Also unless you're an already established author I don't think people would care too much. Execution is more important than the idea generally. Do you have the story written down anywhere or is it simply in your head?

I'm not expecting an animation company to pick it up at this point. But the streets will if my pilot tests and focus groups are any indicator. Of course it is all about business and execution. You may be right that it goes against the grain but in branding what you want is major competitive differentiation.

On this level I can say my brand concept and business strategy is almost completely original and quite novel.

For example, 15 yr old girls already like the idea when I walk up and say:

"Can I ask your opinion? What do you like better, Unicorns or Wowls?"

They will think and then ask what the second one I said is, then when I go on to describe it, they understand the concept of a new spirit animal and that it is part wolf so it works in packs and has the wisdom of the owl so it can be a sort of life coach to them, speaking quotes and proverbs, parables and short stories...

They like the idea of something new and different.

After explaining it, a unicorn looks sort of like a half-retarded horse.

I know the mainstream companies won't pick it up and that is not my goal.

The goal is to create an umbrella brand concept for indie artists to align under to compete in bigger future markets like AI and robotics.

Going at it the regular way is like saying I want to develop an app and sell it to Google ventures.

*censored* Google ventures.

There is no 'exit strategy'.

I know all these mainstreamers want you to come up with a plan to create a powerful pop culture sensation and then turn control of your customer lists over to some *censored*hole corporation, but that is not my vision for business.

It has to be politically oriented because it is a means to get to emerging frontiers in technology such as Africa, and these regions deal with politics and religion it is inescapable if you want to do business there.

It is highly challenging but at the same time, the rewards can be enormous.

Offline TEA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 10:13:57 AM »

I'm not expecting an animation company to pick it up at this point. But the streets will if my pilot tests and focus groups are any indicator. Of course it is all about business and execution. You may be right that it goes against the grain but in branding what you want is major competitive differentiation.

On this level I can say my brand concept and business strategy is almost completely original and quite novel.

For example, 15 yr old girls already like the idea when I walk up and say:

"Can I ask your opinion? What do you like better, Unicorns or Wowls?"

They will think and then ask what the second one I said is, then when I go on to describe it, they understand the concept of a new spirit animal and that it is part wolf so it works in packs and has the wisdom of the owl so it can be a sort of life coach to them, speaking quotes and proverbs, parables and short stories...

They like the idea of something new and different.

After explaining it, a unicorn looks sort of like a half-retarded horse.

I know the mainstream companies won't pick it up and that is not my goal.

The goal is to create an umbrella brand concept for indie artists to align under to compete in bigger future markets like AI and robotics.

Going at it the regular way is like saying I want to develop an app and sell it to Google ventures.

*censored* Google ventures.

There is no 'exit strategy'.

I know all these mainstreamers want you to come up with a plan to create a powerful pop culture sensation and then turn control of your customer lists over to some *censored*hole corporation, but that is not my vision for business.

It has to be politically oriented because it is a means to get to emerging frontiers in technology such as Africa, and these regions deal with politics and religion it is inescapable if you want to do business there.

It is highly challenging but at the same time, the rewards can be enormous.

You walk up to 15 year old girls and start talking about the combination of a wolf and an owl?

It may be novel but it's not original.

I suppose you've done some market research then? Every indie brand hub falls by the wayside after a few years because the quality they attract is less than professional to say the least.

I honestly have no idea what you're explaining. You want to create a brand concerning "wowls" and somehow have it be politically oriented to make waves in Africa?

I am incredibly confused by all of this and it sounds insane.

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 11:15:23 AM »
Well. I was debating joining this conversation for awhile, but here we go.

Alrighty. Right off the bat, let's just say that from what you've said, my demographic would be your target audience, or at least your ideal one, and personally, I'm not invested whatsoever. Perhaps that's just because I don't know enough about your story, to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'd choose unicorns over your idea as of right now. Though to say 'unoriginal' can be a little harsh, it's definitely not a new concept, and again, I haven't actually seen an in-depth description of your world or idea or plot or anything else, and maybe that's where all the magic is, but as of right now, from what I've seen, it isn't something I'd pick up, look over, etc. It just doesn't seem original with all the information you've given us, and though that can be remedied in strong plot or characters, you also haven't given us any of that to see. Again, we've seen very little about this concept and what you're planning to do with it, so I can't be too quick to judge, hence why I wasn't going to voice my opinion until you gave a little more information. But based on what you've given us right now, I'm just not hooked, and like TEA said, it's a little all over the place and confusing. But maybe that's just me and TEA speaking crazy talk. It also feels like you're pushing this to get profit or fame or something that isn't your love for creating out of this, if you know what I mean, but then again, I could be totally insane.

This was long winded, and has nothing to do with the actual topic of the thread, but I thought I'd voice my opinions before I forget them. Best of luck to you producing what you love, and take everything I say with a grain of salt.
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 11:21:55 AM »
I actually did have something to say about politics in media haha. In my opinion, as long as you execute it , and aren't promoting Nazis, it can do really well. You have to be mindful or your target demographic, however, and putting politics in any form of creative media poses some sort of risk.
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »
Censorship is slowly thinning out in the anime/manga media and I find that personally a good thing. However, those who thinks that it's worth exploiting it needs to sit down and contemplate first before taking it on.

Politics is one of that subject you'd want to tread really carefully, especially in this day and age. So if you plan on injecting political subjects into your story, make sure it does not take away the main purpose of the story.

Invoking and spreading of any form of propaganda and/or agenda is a big fat no.

It's not recommended to make a story strictly revolving around politics. It had little to no audience for good reasons.
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline HaKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »
I appreciate the the responses.

Look I'm a technology strategist and also an ideologue.

This means my politics are not really separate from my business.

I mean I know it is the cute thing to say these days: "Let's talk business but not politics or religion"

Fine, think inside the box but you miss out on the real problems to solve and the real money to be made is from solving complex problems.

I'm not a guy drawing comic books looking to get a $100k or even $1 million contract to have my creative vision bought by Disney or Marvel.

I live near Pixar which is in Emeryville and I met animators who agree Gizmowl is a hotter theme than what they got.

What's hard to understand about Africa when Google and Facebook practically own California already?

I'm going for out of the box solutions.

The American Market is saturated so I look to places like Egypt and Mongolia for brand development.

Yes Africa is a major emerging sector.

What I'm saying with Wowls is redefine the idea of success as not simply being 'a silicon valley unicorn' but a Wowl on another continent.

What I'm saying is that in terms of strategy for a technology and mining company in frontier markets, my company has to be confrontational to ingrained ideas like this whole unicorn myth.

It can't be a wishy-washy PC thing designed to make hipsters go gaga.

"Oh me me mister venture capitalist! Can I be the next unicorn?...Oh pulease!!"

That is the reality of the startup scene in the Bay Area.

A real technology titan in my opinion thinks like a general in geo-political terms and gets past superficial propaganda to generate profits not simply from selling products designed to appeal to lowest common denominator cultural stupidity but also from identifying undercapitalized resources and places off the beaten path.

So the Wowls is designed to be a form of both entertainment and propaganda.

I'm not doing it for the love of animation.

I stopped reading comic books when I was probably 16.

That said, I am doing it for fun and I think mapping it out and working with talented people would be quite fun.

I enjoy the idea of creativity in propaganda as a means to the tech market.

If you study brands like Twitter and Hailo, they will tell you 50% or more of their success comes down to a name and logo.

That is all.

1/2 or more of the challenge of a multi-billion dollar company is concept.

IT is the truth but if you are an artist and not a brand strategist who studies thousands of logos, names and taglines and reads books on related topics you will have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about.

I mean no offense but if you have not studied copywriting and branding for a decade or so you're not getting to the heart of today's business challenges. Radial differentiation is not easy to come by and I have done that with both Gizmowl and Wowls.

Look at 100 yrs of military aircraft and the current drones and tell me if you find an owl model?

I'm the first to market on this theme and who rules the night?

All these eagles and falcons? The bobcat? The Swoose Goose?

Do you think if Microsoft hit the market today they would make waves with a name like that?

The market is 500,000x as saturated now.

In terms of culture, hipsters generally hate me and the feeling is mutual.

To me much of what passes as culture is a joke and that is the real fascist brainwashing.

I don't want to get into conspiracy theories but I do know the actual truth about certain things related to deep politics and all I can say is that it is completely worthless to know the secrets unless you can turn them into a business plan at the very cutting edge of global events.

Because everyone would just call you crazy if you told them the truth, it would be so far out of their reality.

Anyways my storyline I posted but in case you did not see the creation myth, watch this video:

Keep in mind, this is the rough sketch for the beginning story of a saga and it may be a ufo instead of a drone.

It will be animated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ARg7LAJpA&t=29s

Gizmowl is part owl part machine, very intelligent and he has a 3rd eye laser.

The first part takes place in Mongolia.

It will involve current geopolitics in terms of the conflict between Israel and Iran, specifically drone warfare.

I'm not sure how it will explore religion but maybe use the Gizmowl drone as a way to show the leadership culture of Iran.

As it is now, Gizmowl is sort of like the ultimate armegeddon drone, designed to fly evade radar fly into nuclear enrichment facilities, navigate halls to reactors, and eliminate other drones and then maybe suicide.

It is based on an actual study of the aerospace and military logistics that the US and Israel are exploring for attacking Iran.

My story, the essential joke is that the precedent strategy for conquering Iran came out of Mongolia in 1219, crossing the Gobi.

The theme is related to Genghis Khan conquests and specifially a folklore story with a white owl.

This is not a film about vilifying Iran but rather sort of a cold objective look at the geopolitics of technology, religion and natural resources.

From this point, the story may bring the wowls into it, like the wowls are the offspring of Gizmowl, the Wowls are generation 7 technology and because of the pack aspect are p2p can transmit data and work together.

Anyways I'm hasing out the story and deciding how to involve humans, whether it is a romance or sort of an armageddon war saga.

I want to integrate the Biblical themes of warfare and Israel and the idea of messiah with the more Asian anime themes like Genghis khan and then turn it into a political thriller about the current sort of armageddon conflict with drones and stuff.

Does that make sense?

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 10:59:31 PM »
Manga's not the best place to go preaching. I believe this was noted somewhere in Bakuman which was made by well known mangakas. Basically manga is a form of entertainment. If people want to read politics they look for it. If people want to relax and escape from the world's troubles for a few minutes they'll read manga or something of the sort. If your agenda and the viewerbase's interests don't match up they'll lose interest and move on.

In short, rather than censorship, politics just doesn't get readers, so it isn't used much. I would recommend rethinking your plan.