March 29, 2024, 04:18:14 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Swords Like Gods  (Read 35776 times)

Offline TEA

• View Profile
Re: Swords Like Gods
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »
I think it's pretty great Lego, it's very impressive. Looking forward to more chapters. I want to make some fanart for this series!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »
Haha that'd be awesome TEA, and thanks!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 06:26:00 AM »
Updated with Chapter 13

I'll jump to Digital Dragons for the next update, but I'm starting to miss working on Penance. I'm almost at the finish line with that one, so I might as well bring it closer to the end and take the opportunity to experiment a little. The contrast issue is still bugging me-

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 10:42:42 PM »
Huh, well I can't saw I entirely know what's going on here anymore (damn my lack of understanding who all these people are). The brain extraction thing was neat though. Can't say I'll miss her.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 03:18:08 PM »
I savoured drawing that, really.

Yikes. My contrast and mish mash of characters strikes again. There's no salvaging it at this point. I've just got to file it away for future reference.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 04:17:59 PM »
I have to agree. Character sheets might be helpful
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »
Finally managed to catch up on this...

The story is pretty interesting. I think panels are easy to read for the most part, but your backgrounds are hit and miss on occasion. Sometimes it's a little hard to tell where the characters are in the scene, but it's not that bad I feel.

Spoiler
And man my boy Mendez. His death was so dry it was actually kind of shocking. I literally thought he was fine until I had to go back and read those panels again. I'm not sure how I felt about his death. On one hand, it gives you that sense that no one is safe, which serves a story like this well, but at the same time I feel the moment didn't feel very impacting because of how it happened. A pacing issue I guess?

Overall, loving the story so far. You're really good with these dystopian type stories man. Keep at it! 
Messatsu...

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »
Contrast, contrast man

Spoiler
I straight up messed up that death scene yeah. They can be done properly even if they're short ala Attack on Titan but I'm really bad at long form manga narratives. Still learning haha

Um are you able to tell which characters are which? Like what happened in the latest chapter for example?

@Mahlua well theres a time-skipish moment so I might as well stick one in there.

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
Yeah no problem with distinguishing characters from one another. Just can’t remember their names for the life of me though. Then again I’m pretty bad names in general, so...
Messatsu...

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 09:58:24 AM »
weird, I haven't posted yet on this :/

very nice so far, especially your backgrounds overall. I agree with Fro that I can't remember names, but that is also probably my fault.
the story is also nice and unpredictable, but not mad unpredictable, just pleasantly unpredictable :P
I love your varied character designs, and the crowd shot in the second last panel of ch13 is just an example of how you make varied characters so well.

Spoiler
I too, did a double take on the death scene

one thing that I didnt like, was when hes talking to his dead sister (ch8/9?), I assume that was just his imagination or memory of her, and not an actual ghost that only he can see? if so, that I think it was much better if when asked "who are you taking to", he replied "noone" only, rather than adding "just my dead sister", as that implies an actual ghost, and i think its a better read that way, and sounds a little less creepy. (although he did look like he was wondering whether to answer?)

also I didnt like the font for the last chapter only, it was a lot harder to read. I'm still looking for a font that I like for my manga so I can't make a recommendation

I'm wondering whether a "to be continued" is necessary after every chapter?
I see it on and off in different mangas, and wondered if there was a reason you put it in, or just because it felt like it should be there? I suppose it gives the chapter an end feel without it actually being an end of a story?

Spoiler
so who's the main character now?
I was pretty sure it was the guy who died?

keep it up, I await the next chapter(s) :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 07:40:33 AM »
Wow a review from suuper! Goodstuff. Thanks suuper. I'll be returning to this after I finish another one-shot I've been letting rot for way too long.

The TBC thing is just more a habit than anything, and I was originally updating the story in messenger chat so it was necessary to add a stop off point. I was doing this weekly after all so I had no idea when the next chapter would come along.

I thought the font looked good! Darn it. I'm looking for something like Anime ABC but... Better? There's a font that really works. Tell me if you find anything.

I think he's hallucinating her, and has been doing it so long it doesn't bother him that much anymore. It's why he talks to himself so much e.g at the beginning when you first see him.

I still need to find a way to make really interesting characters like Oda, but I'm glad that aspect is working out a little. I really do need to figure out this name thing though.

@Frono sorry for the late reply. I assumed I'd have a new chapter out by the time I got around to it, but thanks for reading man!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »
ahhh fair enough if you update by pages not by chapters the TBC would make more sence. I dont think it matters really. Ive noticed that in mangas with multiple mangas, like shounen jump, there is usually a "chapter XX END" message on each one, probably just to prevent confusion, but in the manga novels they dont pop up very much, so as you say its probably context sensitive.

the font wasnt baaaaaad, but just hard to read. it felt a bit too sharp and runic, especially the Y. the upslant was also quite annoying for me. I used THIS for my Overdrive manga, but I wasn't 100% happy with it
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline MN_Seahawk25

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 08:30:29 PM »
I just started this today but I'm reading 1 chapter at a time so I can enjoy it!!! Love the first part Lego! It's so easy to read and the art is actually really cool! Can't wait to see how far they get with civilization! I also liked how he didn't know what nukes we're 😂

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2019, 11:10:20 PM »
Thanks MN! Was pleasantly surprised to see someone read this. I really do hope to get back to this some time. Will try for sure.

@suuper word. (Also sorry for late reply). I will look into a better font - but it needs to be a little like the ones I read in the manga I like at least!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2019, 03:52:44 PM »
np man
to be honest, it's not a bad idea to actually design your own font, all you have to do is draw it large enough on paint/GIMP to trace into vectors, or draw it straight into the program itself and save it, and voila!
I have made a few test fonts which failed somewhat badly, but I was still proud of them considering my noobishness at the time. I use FontForge, it's free and dead easy to use. the only difficult thing to do (for me) is "kern", where depending on the letter combinations, the letter spacing varies.
The trouble is that some (most?) mangas use like 5+ fonts depending on yelling, narration vs voice, "accent" (announcer/speakers, robot voice etc) and so on, so if you do decide to go the "my font" route, you've got to work out what you want.
man gotta get back to that :P