April 21, 2018, 09:03:29 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Partner Wanted for Novel Creation (Service Trade)  (Read 592 times)

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
Partner Wanted for Novel Creation (Service Trade)
« on: March 28, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »
One of the things I'd like to do this summer is to make progress with one or two of my stories. The ones I'm wanting a partner for are my novel series, Lunar Legend and Melody Box.

Lunar Legend

Genres: Sci-fi, fantasy, action, adventure, drama, and tragedy.
Synopsis: In the midst of a massive stellar conflict, a colonized world has been isolated and immersed in their own civil war. Luna Edelman, a soldier who recently graduated from the academy with top scores, finds herself in the center of the world's power struggle after inadvertently becoming the guardian of a supposed "super weapon".
Additional Info: The story is from Luna's POV and will be a single novel. The story's base plot structure has been planned out, but I lack experience with the sci-fi genre so I'm stuck on the world-building phase.

Melody Box

Genres: Fantasy, steampunk, action, adventure, drama, and tragedy.
Synopsis:An unlikely alliance of pirates and dragons forms when their mutual enemy makes the fatal mistake of dragging two young airship mechanics into conflict with a reluctant dragon and her brother.
Additional Info: This story has switching POVs, 4 in total, and will span several books. Possible LGBTQ content. I have most of the first book planned out, but there is wiggle room for the direction the story can go.

What I am looking for in a partner for either of these stories is trustworthiness, patience, preferably a native English speaker, availability (for in depth conversations rather than a brief critique), and determination. I need help with proofreading my work as I progress, to improve my skills in writing prose, and someone to bounce ideas off of.

In return, I can offer my skills as an artist to create concept art or storyboards for your own works in proportion for the amount of aid I receive. I am most skilled in creature designs, however I am improving with humanoids. The following link contains some examples of my work. (Unfortunately most of my more recent pieces are still in progress due to my busy university schedule.)

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,11730.msg195728.html#msg195728

If, later on, we decide that we a good team and you stick with the project till it's completion I would gladly name you my co-writer and split the revenue from the novel's publication.

Feel free to leave any inquiries or examples of your work if my offer has caught your attention.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
Re: Partner Wanted for Novel Creation (Service Trade)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »
Here are some of my more recent works which I'll post here to serve as my portfolio (though the ones for Grey are from about a year ago). As I stated in the post above, these are still in-progress pieces, but I hope they prove to be good examples for my capabilities.

Digital Cover Concept (Melody Box)

Digital Concepts (Melody Box)

Traditional Comic Storyboard (Grey: Home for Strays

Traditional Sketches (Grey: Home for Strays

Offline Effie Azzara

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • I'm shy. Plz don't mistake it for something else..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »
Hey, I'd love to help you out by being the partner you're looking for, but I'm fairly sure that my skill level isn't on par with yours, therefore I really wouldn't be doing much for you. I thought I'd say that if you do need someone to bounce ideas off of or something like that at some point in time, I'd be glad to help. Both of your stories sound interesting, and I hope they do well!

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »
Hey, Effie, I took a peek at your chapter 1 of Shaved Ice and I have to say that you don't have to worry about about being on par with me. I stumble a lot with my words and always write awkwardly jointed sentences, but yours reads pretty smooth. :thumbsup: If you want to see how things go, you're free to join.

Do you use skype/would you be willing to? That's usually the best way to keep contact with me.

(Also for anybody else who stumbles across this thread, I'll keep the offer open.)

Offline Effie Azzara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:28:49 PM »
If it's okay, I'd like to know a little bit more about the stories and exactly what you're looking for in a partner. Your post had all the basics, but I guess I can be a little nitpicky about knowing details. And I do have skype, I'd be willing to use that.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:30:49 PM »
No problem. What would you like to know about them? And for a partner... really the best way I can think of to sum it up is that I'm looking for a friend and rival (too cliche?). It's going to be pretty informal setting honestly.

Offline Effie Azzara

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
I'd like to know just a little more about the characters, plot, world etc... And also I guess what you'd want help with. I don't want to commit and then not be able to help you whatsoever. Anything you'd wanna tell me really, something to get me invested I suppose. I like to help people out with achieving their goals, and when I do, I like to do it to my best ability! It's also completely fine if you think that we don't click or something, because there isn't much of a point working with someone who you don't have chemistry with.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 12:13:58 AM »
Mostly I think I tend to just ask for opinions. Everyone has those. If you liked something, if something could be phrased better, if the off the wall idea I think of late at night is actually worth consideration, etc. And honestly, despite my social anxiety I think I'm a pretty good judge of character. You seem alright.

Alrighty, well since I put LL first last time I will this time too. Bear with me I tend to get a bit tangenty and there's too much to explain in one sitting so I'll give you the story set ups.

Aren't stories based on dreams the greatest and most confusing puzzles?
The major areas of interest are the warring city-states and the wasteland. The wasteland comprises most of the territory outside of the domed city states. The wastes are inhospitable due, not only to the native wildlife and raiders, but also to Sol-crystals. Any creature not native to the planet is subject to the unique molecules that, when exposed to solar radiation, causes their hosts to mutate and become vicious cannibalistic monsters only to die shortly after. There is no cure for those who become infected. If you are, you must live in the darkness, fearing the sun for the rest of your life.

Luna is generally avoided by most people because of her almost emotionless demeanor and the fact that she was found in the wasteland as a child. The mystery of her survival and her origins gave her close ties to two scientists, Conner Edelman and Elaina Woods who worked to unravel the Sol-crystal's secrets. Soon after her adoptive father, Conner, disappears.

Fast forward to the first chapter, Luna works her way up through the ranks in her city, hoping to find a trace of her missing father. She graduates and is assigned to the lab now operated by Elaina. However, the city is attacked and a spy revealed. With the city's core systems compromised in the attack Luna searches for Elaine. She is found barely conscious after being shot. Luna is entrusted with safekeeping Conner's project, a unique Sol-crystal called the Keystone. Elaine urges Luna to flee with the stone before succumbing to her wounds. Reluctantly, Luna follows her orders and becomes the sole survivor of the devastating attack. (Oh, also her arm is blown off only to regrow. Fun.)

The following story mainly focuses on her search for her father, discovering her origins, and keeping the Keystone out of enemy hands.

Melody Box's turn, eh?

The initial idea for this story was to pair dragons with something bizarre and make it work. What I got were steampunk pirates.
The main characters for this one are mechanic boys, Robin (the similarity to my username was unintentional) and Jett, and the dragons, Aria and Keith.

Humans and dragons used to live side by side and magic flourished, however a war between them erupted and with the help of newly created machines humans drove dragonkind to near extinction. Human civilization expands and dragon hunters seek out the remaining dragon clans that retreated into hiding.

Long after the dragon threat has faded from mind, two boys live among a group of sky pirates. One, Jett, recently returns from a several year voyage as the crew's mechanic after being injured in a battle and reunites with his best friend, Robin.

The sky pirates are approached by a group claiming to know the whereabouts of a dragon clan and their horde. To keep his friend from being sent back into battle, Robin takes his place as the ships mechanic for the next expedition.

After the pirates defeat several dragon scouts the clan's most fierce fighter, Keith, avenges his clanmates by sending the ships to the bottom of the ocean. Dismayed by her brother's actions Aria watches the battle before making the daring choice to save the drowning Robin.

This story is longer and I'm uncertain of the series final ending, but it heavily focuses on moral issues and has greater character growth than LL.

(I really should keep descriptions like this on hand so I don't have to type them on the spot... *saves to Google Docs* Now I do.)

Any more questions?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:55:13 AM by Robin Ryuu »

Offline MadOxMalachi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 01:34:27 AM »
Well if you’re keeping the offer open, hi, Robin and Effie.

I'll toss my name in too. I'm familiar with stories like MB, and LL is somewhat up my alley.

I’m looking for (mostly) what you are, Robin, so if I work out I wouldn’t be requiring your artistic skills. I’m looking for in depth conversations about the craft, human nature, current and possible future uses of technology, current events — you know, the stuff that fuels the art of storytelling.

And I’m looking for one more thing. You see, in my family everyone has had a daughter as their first child. Dad married twice, and in both marriages the first born was a girl. Same goes for my seven half brothers. My sister’s first born is also a girl. Same goes for grandparents on both sides. I don’t plan on getting married and having kids for a couple of years but I can’t help but think about that future, and how likely my first child may be a girl. Next thing I know a story about a girl is flowing into my head, along with the memory of my teacher telling my dad he can’t continue raising me as he has so far that the world I’ve been brought into will rarely look beyond the color of my skin.

I love the idea of packing all my future little girl will need and may want to know about the world, and about human nature, into a riveting, awe-inspiring story about the world she will then be in. To prepare her, encourage her, to give her the tools needed for… everything, I write. So that’s the other thing, your experience and perspective I’d like to talk about that too.

But yeah, never had a writers/storytellers partnership like this before so I’m not sure what else I should do or say. Don’t think my experience with class group writing assignments count here. Oh, I (currently) have more free time than you do right now. I taking a year off from school to write.

(And please excuse my intrusion into the on going conversation.)

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 01:51:01 AM »
I suppose it's an open invitation  :-\

Feel free to ask Ol' Op for any help necessary. I'm around the forum most every day of the week. Otherwise, it's good to see you active here again Ryuu  ;)
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline Effie Azzara

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »
I think I'd enjoy working with you. Both of your stories sound compelling, though Melody Box caught my attention a little more due to the fact I actually almost wrote something similar before I scrapped the idea. It's a little bizarre to see it in someone else's words, but I'm glad someone's writing it! Though it could be a leap (especially considering I've only seen descriptions, haha) I'd at least say that when it comes to writing fantasy/sci-fi we're on the same page (at least a little), and I'm definitely interested.

As for the service trade bit of this, I really don't mind doing this without a cost, assuming it goes off without a hitch. I really don't mind helping out, especially considering this will help my writing and reading get better too. Let me know what you think.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 01:31:35 PM »
I have to say, I'm flattered that my offer has gotten this much attention. I don't see any reason not to work with you guys. I said that I was looking for "determination" in my first post, but now I think the word I should have used was "dedication". Not necessarily to my story, but to the craft itself. I can see it in the three of you.

@Malachi

I definitely favor stories that have deeper meanings and values. Honestly of my 3 main projects my comic, Grey: Home for Strays, is the closest to my heart for that reason. I didn't list it here though since I'm not as worried about my grammar and such considering it's format. But if you guys take an interest in that one I may open it up to Skype discussion later on as well.

Speaking of Skype, do you use it Malachi?

Grey: Home for Strays

Genres: Grimdark, Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Romance, Drama, and Tragedy.
Synopsis: This story follows Thomas Grey, a half-wolf boy, and his meeting and acceptance into the Strays. The Strays were originally a small band of misfit roaming bounty hunters, but circumstances caused them to create a guild to house their growing "family". The reason for the change? That would be because of Jasper Lenz, a young dhampir girl.
Additional Info: I'd say the main theme is, "The struggle of accepting oneself even when the world doesn't."

@Operative13

Since we've been partners in projects before I already know you're dedicated and a good person to work with and you're probably already somewhat familiar with my characters and writing style. I don't know if you have a Skype account or not. It's not required per say, but it's easier to hold conversations than through PMs or the threads.

(And it's good to get back to writing. My depression took a turn for the worse right as I was picking up speed a while back. Now I'm working on securing the reins of my life, and once finals are over in about a month, I want to go full steam. Years ago I gave myself the challenge of getting a comic going by the time I turn 20. While I doubt I'll be ready for that within the next couple months before my birthday, I do want to see how far I go this summer and even after that.)

@Effie Azzara

It's strange when that happens isn't it? As for the trade, if you don't want it then that's fine. I'll probably still be around if you decide you need a bit of help later on. Can I say, "Welcome to the team"?

Offline Effie Azzara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 02:08:01 PM »
Yup! Though I'm usually around and projects I'm working with other people on typically take priority over my own writing, I am a student and school is my first priority, even if it doesn't get in the way much. I also have a couple of spots where my availability might get patchy, but I don't intend on going silent during those times either.

Skype might be easier to communicate through, but apparently I don't show up if you search me on there, so I've had to add people instead of the other way around. I don't really mind any sort of communication method though.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »
Well then, welcome, welcome. No problem and don't worry, I understand.

My Skype username is robinryuu.

Offline Effie Azzara

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »
Alright, I'll shoot you a message. I'm effiethefirefly.