April 16, 2024, 01:51:57 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Service Trades?  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
Service Trades?
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:09:09 AM »
Alright, one of the things I'm considering for this summer is to look for somebody to proofread/give feedback in depth on my writing since it's too easy for me to get lost in perfecting something before moving on. However, this brings up the common problem of having little to no income to spend on hiring somebody. I know that everyone should receive some sort of compensation for their time and skills.

What I want your guys ideas/advice on is my idea for a service trade. In this case it would be me exchanging concept art for writing improvement. I know outside of this forum or other places where writers are specifically looking to do comics, concept art may not be too desirable. However having concept art of your characters, places, weapons, etc. is a major step before finding an artist to draw the pages. Most comic artists will give you an additional charge for each character they design for your story after all.

Pros / Cons? Anything to watch out for?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:13:53 AM by Robin Ryuu »

Offline Aimyraude

• heya :3
    • View Profile
Re: Service Trades?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:18:54 AM »
Thats a good idea honestly but what i like even more is storyboard, most of the time spent when drawing is about pannelling for me. Even a crappy storyboard helps to make it faster. But i feel the same, asking someone to write for myself. I cant help but feel like it needs something in return. Even if there is a lot of writer looking for artists that's not a reason since most artist wont even look at it for free. So i guess writer can have even a tiny something in return.

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »
Yeah, I'd say after having the story down, getting the concept art and storyboards figured out are both major steps before moving to the final art. Though for me it would be easier to offer concept art than storyboards since I don't know how long the partnership would be for and the page style could end up changing halfway if I leave mid-project. While that's not irreparable some readers may notice the shift (good or bad).

Though a major point that I forgot to mention is that this offer will be for my novel series where the writing skill is a fundamentally important aspect. I love novels and have a good understanding of (American) English, but trying to figure out how novels are written makes my head spin.

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »
yeah well here novels are really free theres no ''way'' of writing it though novel coming from quebec arent so popular world wide

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 02:05:42 PM »
It's being done before here but it was long forgotten.

However, I'd agree that storyboard, no matter how crappy your art skill is, is a writer's best promoter in recruiting artists.
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »
I've offered storyboards before, but no bites.

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »
Seriously?!? I wasnt around at this Time 😉 but im already going on something right now 😂

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 02:36:18 AM »
I'd totally be up for the idea of giving feedback to each other.  I wouldn't really want anything drawn but if you could give me a link to the specific story you wanted help with then I could give you some pointers.

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »
I've offered storyboards before, but no bites.

If it is to get an artist on your team, it's a good alternative but you got to factor in interest and quality of your story as well. Storyboards to writers are mere substitutes for a wall of text.

If it is for a trade for something else per the title states, it's rather worthless. They'd be better off getting an artist to do one or do one themselves. Stick with concept and character art as a trade or the more common critique for critique.

And I'm offering critique. PM me if needed or find me in the signature link below. No need for a trade, just your patience. I have a busy life.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:22:42 PM by DeAngelus »
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 06:27:56 PM »
Yeah, personally I prefer prose over storyboards if I'm drawing somebody's pages. I can't tell left from right if it's badly drawn (Sorry Crow).

Really though, I'd like a partnership more than just "read one chapter and it's done" kind of thing. If they contribute a lot and stick through till the end they'd be my co-writer and I'd be glad to share any profit with them. But since I'm busy with college that's why I mentioned it would probably be a summer thing.

And no I'm not going to join Manga Mavericks. Me and Lumaria don't get along. (Still irritated she told me to quit one of my projects just because she didn't like the source material.)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »
To be fair, she didn't get along with most of us. Hence why she ran off to make her own site with the name she told us we needed to change Manga Raiders to.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 10:46:22 PM »
Yeah, but anyways. I have time for a singular forum. Might as well have it be the one I have fond memories of even if the critiques are lacking here. :P Wonder when the new generation is gonna take over lol.

Anyways, tangents... I don't think there's much left to say on the main topic?

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »
And no I'm not going to join Manga Mavericks. Me and Lumaria don't get along. (Still irritated she told me to quit one of my projects just because she didn't like the source material.)
Totally respect your decisions and understand your beef with Lumaria (And so as many others here), but I didn't asked you to join. Just saying that I'm there more often than here, especially on critiquing.

I only recently open back my offer of critiquing but this time, if it's a request via PM. I just don't have that mood in dealing with people with sensitivity and denial issue. Again, no need for a trade, just your patience, especially if you need more.

I don't think there's much left to say on the main topic?
Nope. Let's see if there are people interested or not.