December 11, 2018, 08:24:52 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Historical Fiction  (Read 571 times)

Offline Hammilton

• View Profile
Historical Fiction
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:30:31 AM »
I think I've posted the opening pages for a manga I'd written about Mariya Oktobraskayas life called Lady of Rage last summer or fall.  Anyway, since that artist isn't available anymore, I don't have a partner anymore,but then I found an enthusiastic published, but instead of completing it as a manga they want it more as a light novel. 

So I'm trying to figure out how to do it as prose.  I'm not super well versed in what the Soviet experience of WWII was low, not enough to do this story with a high level of historical accuracy, but the plan has always to go over the top.  I'm just not sure how to do this in prose.  A lot of things would have been relatively easy to translate into visuals because I think people are more accepting of crazy things happening in comics and manga.

Does anyone have any suggestions or strategies for making this work?  I think maybe if I make it clear from the start that crazy things can happen it'll work better?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Historical Fiction
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »
Honestly, the best thing to do would be to actually read some published historical fiction novels set in WWII. understanding how others have done will help tremendously.

As far as the historical accuracy thing, maybe watch some documentaries, or find a good podcast on the subject. With historical novels, much of what you need is honest research, otherwise people who actually know about the real life events will immediately lose interest out of the inaccuracies, and people who don't won't give a hoot that it's set where it is, so you might as well save your time and set it in a completely fictional time and place.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Fortis Scriptor

• Senior bucket bearer on the sinking ship of writing.
    • View Profile
Re: Historical Fiction
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
To add to what Coyrn brought up, read some memoirs from the eastern front of WW2 from either side. They both went through the same sort of hell and it gives some good perspective. Hope that helps.  :thumbsup: