June 21, 2018, 08:32:33 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Finished Project  (Read 770 times)

Offline Rofelam

• View Profile
Re: Finished Project
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 11:53:35 AM »
Yeah, I know it’s not so great. I’ve only been writing for two years, and I don’t think I’ve got a handle on it so far. Still, I’m glad you’d enjoy it, if you weren’t busy tearing it apart.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 03:13:45 PM »
Please don't look at it like that. You're pretty good for only being two years in (you're definitely doing better than I was). Your technical skill is actually very good. Which is why I didn't have much to say in that area. That's good, because it means you aren't struggling to do the actual writing and can concentrate on the quality of the story telling itself. Don't get discouraged, and I'm sure you'll write some truly impression stories.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Rofelam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 06:32:53 PM »
Thank you. I absolutely love to write, and I love my characters as well. I want to keep getting better and better, until one day more than a handful of people love them as much as I do. So I’m glad that you’ve read and reviewed my work. You’re actually a pretty cool person. To be able to know and pick out all these things, you must be a very passionate writer and reader.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
Thanks for the compliment. I've been writing for a little under 10 years now, so I've had time to pick up on these things. Although I'm far from perfect, and don't have as much time for it as I used to (I used to post a chapter of my main series a week, now it's like, a couple a year). But that experience stays with you as long as you don't neglect it too badly. And I do spend a lot of time reading, so that's a good way to learn from the pros, as long as you put in a little effort to picking up on what they're doing. (I think they used to call this 'critical reading' back in the grade school days)

As always though, seek out others to review your work. Like I said before, go out into random story threads and leave reviews. Even if it's not S Tier review work, as long as you try to give them an honest critique, you'll be helping them, and in turn they're more likely to help you. The forum has been a little slow recently, but we've worked for years on this principal of equivalent exchange. It takes a group of people who are all willing and able to put in the time. But when those people appear, it's like magic.

Offline Rofelam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 06:58:23 PM »
That’s sound advice, thank you. I’ve been posting my stories since I first started writing (Not on here obviously), but on things like deviantart. I just want people to enjoy my pieces. However, I would like to make even a small career out of it, at least enough so that I could devote time to it. Right now I have college to worry about. When that’s done, I’ll have a bachelors in creative writing and a minor in English literature. So hopefully I can get my stuff published. I’m not expecting Harry Potter level of fame and fortune, but a little fan base of people who genuinely like my stuff and would pay to read it would be nice.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »
I think that's a very good dream to have. I once considered a dream about like that. I started writing when I was a junior in highschool who had no idea what he wanted to do with his life. I wavered between being a sculptor, a writer, or an engineer. Ultimately an engineer is what I became. But I still haven't given up on being an author, if only a small time one. End of the day, I love writing, and perhaps that's the most important thing. As they say: do what you love.

Offline Rofelam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 09:14:06 AM »
You’re really inspirational, and I don’t mean that as a joke. I also started writing during my junior year of high school. I’m currently in my freshman year of college, so I’ve only been writing for around two years. Still, I love writing more than anything else.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
You flatter me. I just like to see young writers work towards their potential.

I'll try and get a few more of your chapters reviewed this weekend. And considering you happen to be where I was when I wrote it (A college freshman who started writing as a junior in high school) you might be interested in reading what I was writing at the time. It could serve as a good opportunity for a little compare/contrast.

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,2387.0.html

I started this one as a junior, and rewrote/finished it as a freshman. It's also the first installment of my main series. *Plug plug wink wink* I learned a lot in writing this. And even though I began writing Arc 2 almost immediately afterwards, I definitely leveled up from finishing this. All experience is good experience after all. (Even if looking back on this now does make me cringe a little)

And fair warning if you try to read this on mobile: I tend to post my stories double spaced for readability, which works great on a computer monitor back when nobody owned smart phones, bit times change, and the forum coding was not designed with them in mind. So, the text is formatted strangely over phones.

Offline Rofelam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »
Don’t worry, I can guarantee the first thing i wrote was way worse than this. The grammar alone was enough to make me hate it, but everything else just made me not want to look at it ever again. I tend not to go back and redo my things, tough I’ve been trying to get better at it. Usually I just start a whole new project and take what I’ve learned from previous projects. The first ting I wrote is finished at about 80,000 words. The sequel to that is almost finished at 85,000 words. Then there’s a prequel to those two i started a chapter on. While I was writing the first book I took a break and wrote the Magic Girl not series that’s on here as well. During the sequel to the first book I started writing another book and got about 20,000 words into that. I got about 20,000 words into the Useless Dragon book, then I started the book you’re reading and it’s at about 35,000 words. Then there’s a bunch of little things I started just because i wanted to get an idea down.