March 19, 2018, 10:33:43 AM

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Help with story writing?  (Read 70 times)

Offline RaziKitsune

• Character Design Artist
  • PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
Help with story writing?
« on: February 22, 2018, 01:35:58 AM »
So I want to dedicate to a story that I'd like to share on Webtoons and other sites but keep finding myself stuck on fleshing out the entire story and script layout. I haven't even reached the storyboard portion.

To put it simple, I need help. 

A graduate who, even when in school had always kept to himself, is still trying to figure out his life. Work is difficult and he's generally annoyed by others so he tends to keep to himself until one stormy day. The MC comes across a stray cat and decides to take it in to only become aware that it's no normal feline.

Character Ark:
I plan for this introverted character to begin opening up, find friends, and eventually find love. While at the same time the female gains trust and acceptance. Something she's always struggled with.

The twist:
The neko had actually gone to school with the main protagonist yet he never noticed her unlike her who noticed him. Before senior year she went missing. The story starts 3 years later after she has been living alone, mainly as a cat, since that life changing decision.

Things to note:
I don't plan to make them instantly fall for one another or even have the 'love spark' happen quickly after realizing the cat he rescued is the girl who went missing in school. All I know at this point is I want love to eventually bloom along all the other things I've already mentioned in the character ark above.

My original idea behind the 'werecat' is based on a family curse that dates wayyyy back. A curse that only activates when they lose hope in life. When that applies to her, it's because of her outlook during school. The way she is treated and how her loneliness and being bullied is leading to negative thoughts. Then bam, turned into a cat with no idea how to turn back.

The style of manga I want to attempt capturing are a mix of  Orange, a slice of life manga (example: )
And My little monster (example: )
AND if I can manage it, Blue Exorcist ( example: )

Offline Fortis Scriptor

• Senior bucket bearer on the sinking ship of writing.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with story writing?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:37:40 AM »
This is a cool concept, like every story concept somewhere it has been done before at least twice. If you want to keep people hooked to this story, the thing that I'd suggest to start with for fleshing it out is the characters. You have a pretty good general idea with your two protagonists, but I would highly suggest perhaps just writing little blips in the lives of those characters to get to know them, habits, likes, dislikes etc. If they don't have them yet, start by naming them.

As far as format and layout is concerned I've got nothing for you, I'm a prose guy.

A second thing I'd suggest to help with the story might be a little world building on the setting. Is your story set in some small town in the US? Or in the midst of bustling Tokyo? Or something else entirely. Knowing even the basic details of where your characters are going to spend most of their time interacting, even if it's just in your head can be very helpful.

You mention Blue Exorcist. (I'm a big fan of it myself) Does that mean that the curse your neko character is facing isn't the only magic in this version of the world that the readers will get to see?

I hope this helps, I look forward to seeing your story move forward, and I hope you have a good day.  :thumbsup: