March 29, 2024, 02:18:53 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Humble Artists  (Read 3507 times)

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
Humble Artists
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
I kinda noticed some of the best artists here have very humble names for their threads, and beginners have explosive names.

e.g.

"Wanna see some of my little doodles?"
Spoiler

"Behold the Amazing Gallery of the Greatest Artist!"
Spoiler

I'm not trying to call people out because I did this too when I was getting started. And I do this stuff now Why do we do this? We're so proud when we're just getting started, and then so humble once we're actually doing something great.

Is this because we got beat down so much along the way? Are we sick of the drawing by the time we're finished with it because it took so long? I feel like it's a combination, probably some lean more towards one than the other. I remember my professor in Drawing 1 called my final project a "great under-drawing" as if I spent 18 hours laying down the guidelines for a drawing.

Pablo Picasso said "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."

There's something beautiful about this statement. My child self painted all the time, but would I have ever touched paint again if Painting I & II wasn't a prerequisite for my major? The fear of drawing a bad drawing is something we don't have as children, or even as beginners.

Sometimes I find the work of beginners more fun to look at. Because you can see the ambition and emotions in spite of certain skills not being there.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Artists
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »
I never noticed. Is it here or other places where people name their galleries?

I wish you gave examples. I know it's horrible but it would give good insight.

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:27 PM »
I hadn't thought about it for artists, but I've definitely noticed it with writers in the artist wanted boards.

There's guys that that actually seem to have a well thought out plan or fully written story that don't complement their own work and then there's the "I'm the best writer ever, if you draw my unfinished story for free we'll be famous!" people. I wish there were more of the first type.

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
I never noticed. Is it here or other places where people name their galleries?

I wish you gave examples. I know it's horrible but it would give good insight.

You'll see artist do this everywhere. Even on the fanart boards for video game forums

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »
Most of the artist on here usually fall in the humble category I think. Haven't seen too many artist who give their art threads "explosive names", at least from what I've seen.

Speaking from personal experience it's exactly as you put it. Beginners of any art form are not bound by the fears of producing "bad art" because they're oblivious to the reality of the world they're stepping into. They think all of their ideas are fresh, original and unique, that their art is so exceptionally awesome that they truly believe people will shower them with the praise they think their art deserves.

And then they get hit in the head by what I like to call real life. "This picture doesn't look that great... The shading is off... The head is too big compared to the rest of the body," or in my case since I'm a writer, "The pacing is all over the place... The writing is too choppy... This concept has been done a million times, can't you be a little more original?"

Suddenly their fantasy land falls apart and reality kicks in. They quickly realize that everything is not sunshine and rainbows, that they're nowhere near the great artist or writer they once believed themselves to be. And so from there, their love for drawing characters becomes never ending struggles to improve their work, and overtime, these struggles will have an draining effect on their confidence in some form. I guess you can say they become more jaded in a sense, and naturally, because their work has been criticized so much, most artist will feel as though their art is crappy and needs a lot more work.

I probably went a bit overboard with my response, but I think you get the point. Not gonna lie, I miss my younger days of coming up with stories to write. I legitimately thought everything I came up with was so cool and awesome, when in reality they were actually trash now that I look back on them lol.

Messatsu...

Offline NthDegree

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 07:36:56 AM »
The more you learn, the better you understand your limits and the distance between you and the top.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:08:02 AM »
I think it probably just boils down to enthusiasm. When you're newly into art/writing, your enthusiasm levels are through the roof. Everything is new and exciting, so that's going to translate into your presentation. Enthusiasm also tends to blind one to their actual skill. Love is blind and all that.

I don't mean to insinuate that we who have been doing this for longer have necessarily lost our enthusiasm, but that we have a more measured view of ourselves and our work.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:43:30 PM »
Personally, I've always known many artists of all types and all levels of experience to fall into either the overly humble or inferior category or the ones who think they're the best thing since sliced bread with a personality bordering on narcissism. It's hard to walk a line down the middle sometimes, and unfortunately, so many people fall one way or another-myself included. I'm not sure which is more annoying (you could argue either way), but both of them suck, and appear more often in the newbies or younger creators for sure. Not really an answer to anything, just an opinionated statement.
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline Aimyraude

• heya :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 10:39:33 AM »
As an artist i can say that modesty is a balance. Greatest artists work so much to be where they are and looked to many other better artist to learn better techniques that i guess we become aware that we are still far from the greatest stuff. Some could Sée it as best artist have higher goal than beginning artist which is why they are more modest. But obviously it doesnt fit everybody.