July 22, 2018, 06:08:41 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: 3D backgrounds  (Read 312 times)

Offline NthDegree

• View Profile
3D backgrounds
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »
Out of curiousity, does anyone here use 3D models as bases for their backgrounds?

I recently started messing around with SketchUp and it seems very convenient. Drawing a proper perspective for every panel tends to be bothersome, so I'm considering just making 3D models of the locations I use often and use them as the base for my backgrounds. Of course, the details would have to be hand-drawn though. Have any of you guys tried working like this? What was the experience like?

If you want to try it out yourself, there is a free browser version of SketchUp that I'm using. I would link it but I don't have the rights yet lol. Well, you can Google it if you're interested.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: 3D backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:50:45 AM »
I definitely looked into this because it's so part of korean webtoons across the interwebs. It looks odd and can be quite bland sometimes but it's a lifesaver for weekly releases. Sketchup is what I want to work with too, but I'm just bad at using  it.

Need help? Ask suuper and/or go to his youtube channel. He's awesome at it and quite helpful when you need tips. Check his gallery out too.

Offline Lord Kesashi

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »
I definitely looked into this because it's so part of korean webtoons across the interwebs. It looks odd and can be quite bland sometimes but it's a lifesaver for weekly releases. Sketchup is what I want to work with too, but I'm just bad at using  it.

Need help? Ask suuper and/or go to his youtube channel. He's awesome at it and quite helpful when you need tips. Check his gallery out too.

I started working with sketchup. But it's just awful. I even started to get good with it, and for making a 3d model it's not that bad, but for creating a scene you'd really want to use 3D Studio.

I'm sure blender can also be good as a free alternative.

Offline TEA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »
I used to feel pretty weird about stuff like that but I think the majority of professional mangaka work something like that into their works (using reference catalogues, photoshopping, etc). Incorporating Sketchup into your work flow is pretty useful and if you learn to use it, you can make some really cool backgrounds and change perspective easily. Pretty great for a free program. 

I try to work without tools for the most part to keep perspective/good draugstmanship ingrained in my memory. But, if you're working to deadlines, use whatever tools are at your disposal to ensure speed/quality. That said, if you're working to deadlines I highly recommend it.