June 24, 2018, 02:36:46 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What I've learned in 2 months of commissions, type of work, what to charge etc:  (Read 581 times)

Offline OviumNoir

• Power comes in response to a need, not a desire.
    • View Profile
Identity: Make sure you establish yourself in that your style and your content is known and specific to a niche. Unless you're skilled at a wide range of niches you'll find yourself slaving over work when you should be enjoying it.

Target audience: This links with identity, everything must correlate; ensure the people that see your work are interested in your work and are pleased to see you on their wall when you post. You'll get more work this way, work you like doing.

Money: I personally charge based on the tools I use, and the type of work. Naturally, traditional pieces are cheaper than digitial. However you must remember with this method if your client is fussy you may find yourself working 'harder' than you anticipated. If you've already given a quote you won't be able to charge more due to difficulty completing the task.

EXAMPLE
Traditional: Pencil sketch, £5 Pen, £7.50-£10 etc.
Digital: Time. The more time spent the more expensive, however digital by default starts £10-15.

Skill and experience affects pay too: the better you are and the better your portfolio in terms of working with people, good recommendations and length of time worked you can charge more and more.
When you TALK, you are only repeating what you already know - but if you LISTEN, you may learn something new.

Online MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Don't mind me, just being my friends' other mom.
    • View Profile
I've always thought to time myself for commissions and pay by the hour with a minimum of $5 or $7 as a starting place. I've seen some people charge differently between hard shading and soft shading, as well as amount of detail. Like, a sketched headshot could be $7, but a full color and fully shaded one could be like, $15 or even $20. Full body shots typically start at like $20-ish, although I mostly see them go for at least $30 or $35.

All of this is in USD, of course, and simply based on my observations.

Offline OviumNoir

• View Profile
I've always thought to time myself for commissions and pay by the hour with a minimum of $5 or $7 as a starting place. I've seen some people charge differently between hard shading and soft shading, as well as amount of detail. Like, a sketched headshot could be $7, but a full color and fully shaded one could be like, $15 or even $20. Full body shots typically start at like $20-ish, although I mostly see them go for at least $30 or $35.

All of this is in USD, of course, and simply based on my observations.

Hourly pay is good too; just gotta work a way of honestly logging down your hours.
The last writer I worked with I'd log my hours down via excel spreadsheet and send via google drive as all our documents were there already. We had arranged hourly pay of £5, worked out well.

I like your prices, I just think as you establish yourself as an artist in the world it's good to get some free work going - (I intend to be doing this with some cover pieces), get some recognition, then do work for cheap and as you improve you increase the prices, it won't take long as the difference between 3 dollars for a piece and 10 dollars is only 7 dollars - how many pieces it will take you to get help you improve depends on the person.

I feel everyone has a diff way of evaluating worth/effort, interesting seeing how people do.

Good to speak again Mahlua
When you TALK, you are only repeating what you already know - but if you LISTEN, you may learn something new.

Offline Walter B

• The Red Tie Devil
    • View Profile
How do you get comissions? Do you actively search them, if so, were? Or do you start getting request organically as your audience grows?

Facebook       Patreon 

Online MahluaandMilk

• View Profile
Hilariously, I've already been asked about commissions and stuff through FurryAmino--from headshots to a full fursuit. That's the nice thing about being part of a niche market.

I do plan on doing a couple of headshots for free for some friends of mine on FurryAmino just to get some artwork out there, yeah. I think after a couple of months, though, I'm going to have to start charging. Typically I degrade myself with the "I'm not good enough to commission yet" talk, and yet I've seen some people with garbo art doing commissions with waaaaay too saturated and bright of colors and really low quality lineart. If they can get paid, by the gods when I'm comfortable I'm gonna at least make what they make.

Offline suuperbean

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
Hilariously, I've already been asked about commissions and stuff through FurryAmino--Typically I degrade myself with the "I'm not good enough to commission yet" talk, and yet I've seen some people with garbo art doing commissions with waaaaay too saturated and bright of colors and really low quality lineart. If they can get paid, by the gods when I'm comfortable I'm gonna at least make what they make.
100% me. just had to agree with you :P
I hate it when people worse than me are getting commissions and stuff, but it shows whats achievable, and kudos for them for actually doing it. Trouble is we sit around telling ourselves are aren't good, when there are tons of people who are willing to pay, who are we to tell them that they can't pay to have what they want hmmmm? Gotta actually sell my art now....

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
Any tough customers in the two months?

Offline nyosan89

• View Profile
in commission i always give the price based on what drawing they want me to
is it sketch, outline or color, and also depending on complexity of the drawing it self does it full body character or full body character with background each will be charge differently. its good that you make this tread so that people can share what they know for this matter ;) ;)

Offline OviumNoir

• View Profile
How do you get comissions? Do you actively search them, if so, were? Or do you start getting request organically as your audience grows?

Usually the "grow your garden and the butterflies will come" saying is true, one thing I noticed (apologies if I've mentioned it in the original post already) is people go to art forums to sell their work or offer work - while some people may be smart enough to know art forums is a haven for finding those willing to work for money, this is a small minority - your potential customers are NOT in art forums as they aren't artists.

So you need to put yourself out there, get into fan pages, request people to advertise your work and attack niches, as your general portfolio grows (and you work for companies) so does your familiarity as you do commissions for people.
et voila, your fanbase is created

Online MahluaandMilk

• View Profile
Can confirm. I've branched out on some social media. It helps to get on the big sites like DeviantArt and, in my case, FurAffinity to get on the ball. Browse around. Comment on other art. Set up a type of upload schedule. Participate in the community.

I hit 250 followers on a social media app called Amino that's super fanbase specific and held a little "free icon raffle" that bumped me to over 270 followers in 24 hours. It's been a little over a week and due to my upload frequency and sharing my link around I have over 100 pageviews on DA.  I don't think it'll be too long now before someone wants something for cheap.