October 15, 2018, 04:47:36 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What I've learned in 2 months of commissions, type of work, what to charge etc:  (Read 925 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
So, this is something I actually have a fair bit of experience in. As y'all may or may not know, my real life job does boil down to producing finished drawings for people, drawings that, more than anything else, are the one thing that will matter.

So I'm here to say, that in a professional environment, there is a place for hourly rates, but it comes with some qualifiers.

So, in the concept of my firm being contracted to do a job. We will absolutely 99% of the time draw up a lump sum for the work. But on occasion we do work for hourly rates. We do this for basically one reason: we know that whoever is contracting us is going to end up providing more work for us than we could possibly outline in a lump sum up front.

This can happen for two reasons. 1. We know they're kinda dodgy to work with, and by that virtue alone will drag out our process, and make life very hard on the design floor. There will be times when they don't give us answers, but we have deadlines, so we have to start doing our own research we shouldn't have to. Or they will make a bunch of changes midway, and then we have to do rework. Or, they just won't provide us with important details until the end, or they throw in something entirely new a week before deadline, and we're working 60hrs to pull it off.

Reason 2: We KNOW that there will be lots of changes coming, that other people haven't made up their minds, and that part of our job will be to iterate and present until a satisfactory conclusion is reached. Again, it's not really possible to judge this work from the get go. You can't even judge it on a personal iteration basis, because who knows if the whole idea will get scrapped?

In both of these cases, it takes an open dialogue between the contractor and the contracted. It also takes an amount of trust between the two. But, provided all of the qualifications are met, it doesn't make sense for an artist to not push for an hourly wage.

As always, professionalism is key. As long as you aren't a god damned child about, you (as an artist) will do a proper job at an hourly rate same as you would for a flat rate.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:34:14 AM by Coryn »

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
As always, professionalism is key.
that pretty much sums it up. good reasons as well for doing hourly rates. I think if you are open about it and have good reviews and public relations then people would probably be OK with it. I think I was being over skeptical in my last paragraph haha :P

Offline BobbyJoeXForgotenSB

• Everybody seem to think I'm Lazy
  • I don't mind, I think they're CRAZY!
    • View Profile
this has been something i have been trying to study for a while, i have made some friends who do work on an hourly rate and told me to never put myself under minimum wage but i am unsure people would buy my art (not really talking about pages, more so just art) for $15 an hour XD