March 29, 2024, 01:56:03 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: I've come a long way, even longer to go. ~NinoDonBuri  (Read 22082 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: The improvement continues @ninoartem
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 06:40:05 PM »
Kenpachi and Yachiru

Awesome Goku there man! Love the colouring!

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »
Haha quick off the mark!
Good to hear from you again Lego, thanks alot man appreciate that bro.
Hey there, I am using WhatsA- ... oh

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
What resources did you use to learn to draw that well btw?

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »
What resources did you use to learn to draw that well btw?

If you mean software bro I paint on corel painter and do effects with photoshop

in terms of learning I did drills of sketches on specific body parts (rib cage, torso, legs etc) before doing a main piece. It usually helps you deliver better results I've found.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 06:56:45 PM »
I've drawn the human rib-cage twice in my life. The last few ribs are always frustrating to me. Darned thing. This is why anatomy is hell.

Corel Painter huh. Coolbeans. How long have you been doing commissions?

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 07:37:44 PM »
I've drawn the human rib-cage twice in my life. The last few ribs are always frustrating to me. Darned thing. This is why anatomy is hell.

Corel Painter huh. Coolbeans. How long have you been doing commissions?

Oh haha you only need to draw the oval for the ribcage, and then depending on its angles draw the orientation.
it's just good practice for getting its relation to the head and the pelvis, also helps with placement of the torso muscles if you know your anatomy.

Commissions not long at all, only started within the last 2 years. Last year I did a few and spent most of my time practicing, this year I've been more busy. The better you are the more commissions you get so practice is good but you need a portfolio too to impress people, so a balance is important for sure!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 07:47:30 PM »
Man I think making a portfolio in the first place is my second problem. My first is that I don't know what exactly I'm selling. I rarely do fanart although I should, and I don't have a niche that people are really interested in. Would be cool to find that.

Do you watch anime and manga often or do you just like the style? Not really sure.

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 06:25:59 AM »
Man I think making a portfolio in the first place is my second problem. My first is that I don't know what exactly I'm selling. I rarely do fanart although I should, and I don't have a niche that people are really interested in. Would be cool to find that.

Do you watch anime and manga often or do you just like the style? Not really sure.

Yeah, I realised it's not just about doing fan-art it's how you present your work that will divide you from the rest, otherwise it's down to plain ol' skill and that takes the longest to nurture and train.
Think outside the box  ;)

I used to watch anime and read manga all the time, I'm mostly a seinen fan now, though for the shonen HunterxHunter is my fave 'shonenesque' shonen. Death Note is all time fave shonen (after watching bakuman I realised just how well Death note was done).

Seinen titles include zankyou no terror, gantz, elfen lied, ergo proxy, steins gate, parasyte, serial experiments; lain, inuyashiki etc etc

Otherwise sunkenrock, genkiryuchi, Gantz, holyland, suicide island (the last two in particular) are amongst my fave manga titles.

My fave story of all time is Monster. Head and shoulders above everything else.

So yeah I'm definitely a fan, but since bleeding into comics I've found myself much more drawn towards the western works again ;)

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
Next commision out the way, Kaneki next  :heart:

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »
Hell yes Kenpachi and Yachiru. I have a kenpachi wallpaper right now from his Shikai. Such an epic moment.  Great work here!

Also your tastes in manga and anime are quite similar to mine. I rarely meet people who've seen Serial Experiments Lain. And I read Inuyashiki two weeks ago in one sitting. I had no idea that Hiroya Oku had another manga like that out there. Really enjoyed it.

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 07:24:25 PM »
Hell yes Kenpachi and Yachiru. I have a kenpachi wallpaper right now from his Shikai. Such an epic moment.  Great work here!

Also your tastes in manga and anime are quite similar to mine. I rarely meet people who've seen Serial Experiments Lain. And I read Inuyashiki two weeks ago in one sitting. I had no idea that Hiroya Oku had another manga like that out there. Really enjoyed it.

very kind of you bro thankyou!

YES! I know, right? God I feel like seinen fans are golddust nowadays, I've got so many shonen die hard friends I long miss a conversation about the seinen shows with people! Very very happy you've seen those shows, you'll have to recommend me some more and vise versa ASAP.

I'm currently watching Rainbow atm LOVE IT

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 07:25:36 PM »

Keeping busy; sketching Experimental commission; feeling cheeky, new funky rendering style for this one.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 09:26:18 PM »
Excellent work on the hand and perspective! It's looking great so far, keep it up!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about getting commissions for these pieces? I've had almost no luck so far.

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »
Excellent work on the hand and perspective! It's looking great so far, keep it up!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about getting commissions for these pieces? I've had almost no luck so far.

Hey Devola buddy, sorry for the late reply.

I believe I actually did a post about this on another thread here but I'll repeat it.

Gonna get on my high horse here and preach 5 main points that have helped me MASSIVELY x  :D

1. LONEWOLF MINDSET: Best thing is to get yourself AWAY from other artists, lol - I can't stress this enough. I see countless artists offering paid work on ARTIST communities as opposed to FAN communities, ever realised this, it's weird right? - But it happens ALL the time.

So find fan communities such as D&D, Dragonball, DC - could be anything find little pockets online/offline of people who LOVE something and build relationships, offering to draw for them. The reason I say build rapport is because once you do - doing stuff like fan-art clothing merch via RedBubble or Etsy becomes easier. If you deliver good service to someone they recommend you.  ** After my Goku piece that friend of mine received the poster and his nephew wanted a Kaneki piece. His Friends want stuff drawn for them as well.

2. PRACTICE: Continue building your portfolio, not only for advertisement but for efficiency and speed - this is common sense. The more proficient you are at doing a task the more likely it is people will get you to do that task for them.

3. FREEBIES: Offer free work (ties in with no#2) once you're proficient it becomes easy to bang pieces of work out that don't cost too much time and energy from you, don't make free work a habit, just understand it's a gesture that can open up many doors for you in the future.

4. FLATTERY: Make them feel special, people like to be the center of attention. Imagine you have a true fan willing to spend money for the thing he/she loves, and you produce an art piece for them, and give them a shoutout on that social media post "COMMISSION FOR _____" or if you're really good graphically write it on an OC's clothing or something.

5. SALESMANSHIP, some good artists neglect this skill and others that have this skill may not necessarily be great at art. Like I said if you're good and people know it, they'll come to you. Remember the time, effort, money you've put into learning and buying your equipment and accurately price your work, once you've done this you let the person know that your time is worth this much. Don't turn a blind eye to ALL bargainers but apply pressure on your client, know your worth y'know?! ;D

REDBUBBLE, ETSY etc are your friends! Adjust the profit margin so they don't f*** ya over and have them distribute your works so you can sell your work to more than one person! This helps a lot.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:22:47 PM by OviumNoir »

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 06:25:03 AM »
Thanks for the information and insight, definitely learned something new here!