July 20, 2018, 12:07:55 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Sai's New Gallery  (Read 736 times)

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
Sai's New Gallery
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:33:48 PM »
Since my old gallery is buried and most of the images are broken links now, I'll be starting up a new gallery. I decided not to renew my domain a few months ago and all the files I had stores for years are now gone~ lol

Anyway, here's a drawing of Sachiko from Idolmaster that I'm working on as a request/gift to a friend.

Drawing out the basic shape:

Refining the shape of her head and getting basic color in:

My first attempt at drawing in a LONG time~~ My goal is to be able to produce button and all-over shirts to sell at conventions in a few months. Wish me luck!
I'm back~~~

Online MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: Sai's New Gallery
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 11:59:22 PM »
Before I read the description I thought for a moment it was Crona from Soul Eater. Very nice on laying down the color. Typically I see people construct the entire figure before laying that kind of thing out, so this is a first for me.

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 12:16:41 AM »
Yea, just went for something different with the hair on this one. I was slightly basing this off of the mobile game Idolmaster: Starlight Stage where they do colored line art. I'm still trying to figure out what I want my drawing style to be so this probably won't be my style in the long run.

I have a lot  to learn on line art and coloring still~
I'm back~~~

Online MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:20:07 AM »
It's definitely good to experiment around. I always try to warn people not to get too caught up in style, though. It tends to be a little easier to build from a more solid foundation of fundamentals while you're having fun. Doing a little bit of studies from life or reference never hurt. Your attitude seems pretty good about it, though--the willingness to experiment, I mean.

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »
Definitely, I've got a friend teaching me in a really odd way. Instead of telling me HOW to draw he tells me to find styles that I like and imitate it as best as I can. Only after I put in a good amount of work will he offer input. I guess the biggest thing I'm learning at the moment has to do with color theories and designing palettes.

One of the biggest things my friend has been teaching me is that a lot of the people in the industry can't draw really well. They're able to produce a finished work because they start somewhere and have an idea of what to fix and keep working at it. Eventually their talents catch up to make the process easier, not necessarily painless.

Even for those that can draw well, they still go through the same stages of production for many years.
I'm back~~~

Online MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:38:37 AM »
Your friend has a point, but often times if you copy a style exactly, then you're going based on someone else's simplifications of life, and if those are misunderstood, it can lead to big problems when you start spreading out and settling into your own. I speak from experience on that one--bad habits are hard to unlearn. It's always good to have your own knowledge to compare with what you're doing, like your studies into color theories and palettes.

Basically I'm sure you'll be fine, but I do always express a little concern when copycatting is brought up. It can be tremendously helpful, but it's not an easy out like some people misuse it as, because if they do, it leads to huge problems with fundamentals later.

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 12:51:49 AM »
Hmmm... Actually I guess I will give this another try with just line art and see how it goes. I almost considered doing a google hangout for a drawing session but it doesn't seem like many artists are active right now. OTL

Gimme a bit and I'll see how far I can get with taking hints from someone else's drawing.
I'm back~~~

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 01:32:14 AM »
Alrighty, here's an example:

Drawing by pixiv artist Kawaty:

My Sketchup:

Progress:

I copied the artist's method of drawing Kaede by breaking down the basic shape of her hair and the artist's hair style. I'm also using similar ratios for the face (as best I could copy) xD

When I got to the line art and color, I did my best to do a quick mock up of their style.

Edit:

After an hour this is all I can get done:

Drawing and coloring eyes is difficult OTL  I actually think I drew the mouth at least 20 times too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:47:22 AM by SaiHawkeye »
I'm back~~~

Online MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 02:30:49 AM »
Ay, yeah, mouths are hard. After looking at your process, yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine, since you seem to be using the tool of imitation for its actual use. If you break down and analyze the shapes yourself and ask questions while you work to better understand the piece, you're already a step ahead of the game. I'm sure you'll be back up to gear in no time.

Offline The SlamJam

• Artist
  • Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 04:23:39 AM »
Again, good to see you're back here Hawkeye! :)

I've actually been doing some style studies myself, so i think i can help out more with trying to capture what another artist is doing. Specifically, you need to pay attention to these 3 things;

1) What shape language does this artist use - You've thought about this a little, but it goes much further than just the shape of the hair. You've treat the shadows on the hair as squiggly lines, rather than clear distinct shapes. Look here -> https://i.imgur.com/HWWNZqM.jpg

2) What colors does this artist use, and how do they relate to eachother? The main things here, are to look at the local color the artists uses for each section, and figure out what they're doing when the make things lighter or darker. So, this is a lazy example of how the color would be picked; for shadows they drop down 15-20% in darkness, then saturate. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/399854109504831492/399854207768854539/unknown.png On the right side is yours, i chose your base color and below darkened then saturated. Above the base color is your original shadow color, which you darkened slightly and desaturated. Try to examine this for every color you see, the skin, the eyes, the hair, etc. It'll help with achieving dat feel.

3) What transitions/rendering style is this artist using? Look at the edges of shadows to figure this out. On the hair, the shadow closest to the top of the head is a hard edge, and then has a soft edge/fade on the lower half. On the skin, it's more traditional cell shading with a hard edge shadow. This ones kinda self explanatory.

I've been doing this sorta stuff in my own studies of some artists, here's a greyscale example; https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/357324044472811530/398112603479605248/unknown.png , wasnt going for complete replication, just generally was figuring out his render style. I didnt super successfully pull this off, but i did learn he sometimes drops a shadow, then fills it in the center with his base tone, which is how he partially achieves that look. (Look at his eyebrows to see what i mean).

I hope this helps you :)

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 04:52:31 AM »
Oh yea, I need a LOT of work on drawing still. My hands aren't even used to holding a pencil anymore! lol

Copying his subtitles is really tough. The hair is a far shot and I realized that the face should have been a lot more round after I posted the last image.

As for colors, I think I'm colorblind. @_@ haha  I tried my best to guess the colors without straight up using a dropper tool. Even more I was conflicted because I know her hair is supposed to have a slight green tint so going with the shade I did already felt unnatural. Definitely need a lot more work in being able identify colors better though.

I haven't even had time to think a about transitions and rendering. My girlfriend was actually mentioned rendering after I showed her and I didn't know what it meant outside of 3D modeling. Thanks for the info on that. =)

I haven't even touched on greyscale yet. The guy teaching me color theory and palettes said we'll eventually get into values and for those exercises I'll only be able to use shades of gray and black to make a complete drawing. I can only imagine the hell you had to go through to get to the point you did. @_@
I'm back~~~

Offline The SlamJam

• Artist
  • Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 04:55:10 AM »
ive actually never heard of doing color before value? By donig grey first, theres much less to worry about (such as color temperature or the fact that a red on the same position in the color square will be naturally darker than a yellow in the same place). Value is easier to work with alone. So, if i were to do a portrait using value only, all i really need to worry about is light and dark.

With color, i need to think about this, and the color temperatures of the face. IE, Red's are in the cheeks and nose area, blue's in the jaw and yellow's in the forehead. Similarly, i dont have to think about the color of the light, and how that effects it, nor how the surrounding color interacts with everything.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:56:50 AM by The SlamJam »

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 05:06:22 AM »
I get ya. We're just being very informal about things. He he first started teaching me a few weeks ago, it was mostly to cover color in photography. It didn't happen until just a few days ago that I mentioned I wanted to draw again. Kinda the reason I'm back here. I'll update this thread as I learn. =)
I'm back~~~

Online MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 05:01:19 PM »
Huh, it's funny to me that you've never heard of coloring before value, Slam, considering that I skip the value step entirely like 90% of the time and just focus on color.

Goes to show that everybody works differently. I wound up learning a lot reading through that, though!

And, Sai, don't worry about it if you don't get colors right away. For what it's worth, I think you're off to a pretty great start...erm...restart?

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 05:33:01 PM »
Thanks! The restart is tough! lol

It's not that I didn't know about color theory, values, and light and shadow. More along the lines that I started with learning about color for color grading my photos and then I asked my friend to teach me colors for drawing and then I asked him to teach me to draw in general.

I'm not entirely too worried about understanding how it all works right away. I just set myself a schedule; I want to learn as much as I can so I can produce an Idolmaster shirt of my own. After buying a few from one of my favorite doujinshi artists Redrop I wanted to see what it would be like to design a few for myself.

Here's some of his Idolmaster shirts:

I'm back~~~