December 16, 2018, 11:51:14 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Winter Season 2018 : First Impression Reviews & Discussion  (Read 590 times)

Offline Manimal Claus

• God Of Yule & Seasoned Greetings
  • We All Love Santa Christ
    • View Profile
Winter Season 2018 : First Impression Reviews & Discussion
« on: January 04, 2018, 07:04:19 AM »

http://anichart.net/winter

It's the season of the White Album and...why am I doing this again!??! It's a habit now. But once more I will make this thread, and once more I will try to do First Impression reviews. Will I? Will my reviews actually be something again unlike last year? Hell if I know right, but I know who does know...no one! Yow, let's do it. As normal if you watch anything this season join in, and be like hey this show, it doesn't suck. Or it does suck! Who knows, you will. Ei.

The Yohane Rating
This time I shall rate with Fallen Angel's.

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
Re: Winter Season 2018 : First Impression Reviews & Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 09:43:05 PM »
Yuru Camp

Genres : Slice of Life, Comedy
Studio : C-Station
Source : Manga

Plot Summary
Rin likes to go camping by herself along the lakes that provide a scenic view of Mt. Fuji. Nadeshiko loves to take cycling trips by herself to places where she can see Mt. Fuji. After they meet, Rin and Nadeshiko take camping trips, eat cup ramen together, and enjoy the scenery.
(Source: ANN)
Review

Spoiler

Last year I reviewed an item from Tims with every review so this year I will discuss a random Canadian town you have never heard of in every review. When you look at Ontario on Google Maps you will find some cities and a ton of nothing with no one. The land is ripped up with lakes, and one of them...is sandy. Sandy Lake First Nation is a remote community of a little over 1000 in Northern Ontario. One can only fly here, the roads just kind of end at some point. You notice it on the map for it's distinctly muddy golden looking water. Sandy Lake has brought us the unknown genre of "Rez Rock" and holds the Muddy Water Music Festival in summer. I was surprised to see so much from one little community like this, as many places up there will yield little results. On this link you will find an old track from Sandy Lake musicians with a music video that screams Northern Ontario. This is a classic piece of Canadia that must be shared. No I'm honest this video makes me happy and the tune is good to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWt9QA39gQ

Ain't nothing going on but a couple of girls camping, going on trips near Mount Fuji and having a nice old time in nature. Yuru Camp presents itself as a laid back series of mostly mundane events and interactions, with nice looking characters and visuals containing lively but not overly outrageous or humorous interactions. This slow episode features Rin taking a short trip to a lake for a little camping trip where she meets Nadeshiko chilling by the washrooms. She just wanted to take a bike ride to see Mount Fuji but fell asleep and woke up to advanced darkness. Rin and Nadeshiko chill for a bit, exchange numbers and see each other at school later, the end.

Not much happens in this episode, which shows the point is to be one of those, not much happens kind of shows. There was an amusing bit where a narrator described how pine cones start fires well and many other tips for campers. Where I live if you say camping what you really mean is going to your cabin or cottage an hour out of town in a small private property by a lake. But in this show it seems there are set camping grounds where you check in and do the whole tent setting and fire making activities. Although there is a normal washroom, not even an outhouse, right by where Rin stops so, it's not really life in the woods. An outhouse is truly life in the woods, there are few things more fearful then plopping down and being trapped in a little box where you fear spiders or anything else coming down from the ceiling, or other bugs crawling on your buttocks. Life in the woods would be easy?

Rin is a pretty straight forward character, a little more quiet with a love for nature and taking it easy. She just builds a little fire and reads most of the time. Nadeshiko is the classic clumsy ditsy type who does really stupid things but everyone likes her because she has the purest of hearts. They are the only two we meet aside from Nadeshiko and a glimpse at two girls that run a camping club at school. There is not much here, the characters don't present any traits or quirks that are overly interesting. They just...do as they do. Also Rin thinks 5 Celsius is cold? Well.

The OP song is "Shiny Days" or something typical like that and uses a lot of classic anime song cliches. It was alright but the actual OP was a lot cooler with a pretty neat aesthetic and design to it. The ED song was a nice relaxed tune, good for a show like this. Voice acting was fair and the soundtrack was there.

So you pretty well know what you're getting with Yuzu Camp, it's a laid back hobby focused cute girls series about...camping and looking at Mount Fuji. There are plenty shows like this nowadays, but only so many rise to levels  of quality like Amanchu. I don't think this series is one of them, but it wasn't a bad episode either. The animation was really good, and the character designs are great with nice outfits. The nature focus is always cool to see, I like any show that has a theme like this, but nothing in this first episodes suggests a greater interest. I'm judgment because I love the tone the series tries to do, and have seen it perfected in Sketchbook Full Colours and Aria. But I don't know if this series has that spark to be worthwhile.

Overall the first episode of Yuru Camp does not make me want to watch the second all that bad. It might be a nice fluff piece, and I would atleast give it time to introduce the rest of the cast. Once more, you can tell what kind of show it is by looking at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZJMaRMbRro
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:58:41 PM by Manimal »

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
Re: Winter Season 2018 : First Impression Reviews & Discussion
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
Citrus

Genres : Drama, Romance, School, Shoujo Ai
Studio : Passione
Source : Manga

Plot Summary
Fashionable Yuzu imagined the first day at her new school she transferred to after her mother's remarriage a bit differently; she didn't know it'd be an ultra-strict and conservative girls' school. So instead of a sweet high-school romance, she butts heads with the stern student council president Mei—who turns out to be her new stepsister. And she has to learn that hate and attraction are often not that far apart.
(Source: Yuri Project)
Review

Spoiler

I wanna go the Yukon. People here always go somewhere hotter, I swear every third person has been to Cuba. But no, I don't want no beach. I want to go even more North! But I don't like the cold. But the Yukon! There are barely any people there, Whitehorse is the only city! That's great, and it looks so amazing! and it has Destruction Bay! It's a community big enough to get a Wikipedia page, though many by my city are ignored. The population in Destruction Bay was 55 in 2006 and 35 in 2011. You pretty much just drive through this tiny place, but it does have a one room school! I need to go to somewhere with a name as rad as Destruction Bay. Canada is so big and everyone wants to go to Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal and nowhere else. Big cities can stick it, we have a giant North and I want to see some of it...even if it's cold...and that includes this little place that in reality is nothing but the name man...the name.

Just as Yuzu experiences her first kiss and romance in Citrus, I am experiencing the first time a favorite manga is being adapted. How will it go? Will they ruin or it or shall we finally be blessed with a good yuri? Well my friends it seems the time has finally arrived...get the yuri goggles ready.

Citrus is the tale of Yuzu and Mei, two high school girls of different backgrounds and attitudes that suddenly become step sisters. Yuzu is stylish and dreams of the classic school life of fashion, friends and fun. When her Mom remarries she transfers to an all girl school ruled by high school Hitler Mei. Everyone is blank and boring, following the rules perfectly. Yuzu gets in trouble the first day for her fashion. She finds everyone to be boring expect for a fast friend in the secretly gal Megumin. Mei is set to marry a teacher and inherit the school from her grandfather. When Yuzu gets home she is shocked to learn her new sister is Mei. Once Mei settles in Yuzu provokes her until suddenly they lock lips and the game is on... 

Citrus is a great character piece of clashing emotions and a tense steamy relationship. There are some silly elements in the story, like the great coincidence that Yuzu and Mei become sisters, and the disappearance of the step Dad, but it presents a very compelling character story. There is weight to the yuri and it makes it all the more worth it! This episode perfectly captured the ideas of Citrus and was a lot better then I thought it would be. For one it was hard on noting the difference between Yuzu and the rest of the school. Everyone is walking around like the Clone army with Yuzu running around looking brighter and more vibrant. When Mei moves in there is a dramatic contrast with her black and white items to Yuzu's colourful stuff. It was brought forward more then I thought.

I need to talk about the kiss scene at the end because...clap clap, the anime did it perfectly. It was just as tense and dramatic as it needed to be. The directing was overall pretty good in this episode with a lot of nice shots, and as I said clearly pronounced theme. Some good comedic bits as well and a good look to everything. They did just the first chapter here and expanded on some scenes which made the episode better. Everything is speedy in the manga so it's good they took their time with this. The animation was fine with a style fit very well for the manga. Voice acting was great also. Ayana Taketatsu is one of the best seiyuu's and she fits perfectly as Yuzu. Megumin sounded older then I thought she would, and Mei was good also. The OP was decent as well.

It was great to see this first episode done so well. They bring everything to life as well as you'd hope, especially Yuzu and her conflict. Citrus is truly a good manga that actually does yuri well, but also everything else. Things are angsty but with mostly fun bits, and it's not this great nice romance either. Which I always want to see. If the anime is good we'll finally see a yuri show done right and well! I don't have too much to say, Citrus is great, this first episode was great, we can only hope it keeps it. If you like yuri then come along, it only gets steamier from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdad23r7Yb4
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:05:52 PM by Manimal »