March 29, 2024, 07:52:35 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Opinions of Collabs?  (Read 9580 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions of Collabs?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 02:00:47 AM »
I did the same with when I was programming games with a school friend (I mean it was pretty destined to fail since we both weren't serious enough). I said let's start with the most simplest of games possible, and if we can't get that finished then there's no point working on some grand massive game ideas. needless to say it never got finished, but hardly any time was wasted on it. And once again I'm reminded that I'm meant to be a game programmer once my art gets good enough. ugh.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline JackOfArtAndProse

• Webcomic writer
  • Looking for a fantasy artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 04:23:59 AM »
Yeah, definitely start small. It's hard to create a long manga if you can't even create something small succesfully and on-demand(emphasis on on-demand). A manga artist who wants to both write and draw their stories would need to learn about panelling, plotting and how to write banter... And if you are a writer, you'd STILL need to learn how to do all these three, seeing as some manga artists require the writer to direct the panel flow and how things work out on the page.

Plus, doing short collabs helps you to learn how to deal with people. You also learn how to recognize slightly less principled collaborators and sometimes even how to manage a project. These are useful skills for any kind of long webcomic/webtoon/manga project, nevermind a short collaboration.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »
I've had a bad habit of going into collabs not knowing what I bring to the table specifically.

Really, it's a sort of mess and I always end up wanting to do things alone in order to have that ability to spend more time discovering who I am.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 07:28:40 PM »
Collaborations need to be a game of ping-pong. I will always be shocked at how smoothly Larry Pine, DOTS and Operation Wing It worked out for me.  That's because the other parties were on the ball and responded almost as quickly as I did and everything worked out.

1. Collabs will only work if both people are 'on the ball'. It's not necessarily a question of how much they're contributing, but how much they are available. I swear even if it's a serious work-related project, people would prefer a less skilled member who always shows up for meetings rather than a genius who only ever shows up when he wants to.

2- In case of failure, be willing to finish the project, otherwise you are the problem -  This is my philosophy. If a collab doesn't work out and I am too lazy to say even think of how it should've ended, then that means it's a mutual failure rather than the other persons' fault. This is a good point of view to have because it means with every collaboration it isn't up to only the other person to make sure it works out but also up to you. At the end of the day, were you ready to finish the project or not? I like to answer this question by finishing off even collaborations that did not work out.

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 09:28:07 PM »
About the scend point
If the writer disappears before writing the story script, there is nothing for the artist to finish. In a programmer and artist team when one drops out, I don't think one can finish the other job. It can work if the two have the same skills but, Maybe the other doesn't want you to finish the project without him. The writer doesn't want you to use his ideas, the artist doesn't want you to use his art. Like theblacksands said "buried in Non-Disclosure hell for all eternity"
It can work if its friends with the same skill (like two writers) doing a project for fun. When one is a no show the other can finish it.

And yea. people not available is the main collabs killer. It helps if they say Hi I'm going to be busy to for the next two-three weeks so don't wait for me. But often they don't.
Imagine something that will take two to three weeks to get done but takes five months and counting, waiting for the partner to show up. Can get it done by yourself but is it a collaboration at this point?

It's fun working with people. Not being in your own bubble. Giving and talking with people. Can learn a lot for it. Frustrating when time pass and nothing gets made. Glories when something gets made.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 07:02:23 AM »
@lego
#1- That's a decent point. when members can see that each other is willing and active, it makes it easier for them to be active themselves because there is a standard of activity that they can aim at. And just being more active often leads to being more productive.
#2 - As Keanfox points out, sometimes you just don't have the skillset, or rights to the entire work, to complete a collab on your own, but in cases where it is possible, that's a great mindset. Although I agree it sort of leans away from being called a collab at that point depending on how much work you have done yourself.

It's probably a good idea to have made a small thing (manga/story etc) from start to finish on your own completely anyway, no matter how bad, to show yourself that you have the focus and resolve to finish a project. if you can't even do that on your own, how on earth will you do it in a team.

@keanfox yeah communication is definitely important. better to be told that someone won't be available than they just disappear without warning.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!