October 21, 2018, 02:49:37 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: The Galerians Franchise  (Read 388 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
The Galerians Franchise
« on: December 30, 2017, 02:51:34 AM »
A thought struck me while I was making my post earlier about what games I may or may not play next. I've only ever met one other person who knew about the Galerians franchise before meeting me (and believe me, after meeting me, it's hard to have a discussion about video games where I don't somehow find a way to bring it up).

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else happen to know of (and potentially be a fan of) the series?

For those of you who don't know, the first Galerians game was released on the Playstation, with a sequel released on the Playstation 2. They also used 3d animation similar to the cutscenes of the second game to make 3 OVAs that followed the story of the first game and released it on a DVD that made it over to the West. The first game is simply titled Galerians, and the sequel is titled Galerians: Ash, and the OVA/movie is titled Galerians: Rion.

Now, I'll be the first to tell you that these games have not aged well at all. Their mechanics, as far as I can tell from old reviews, were stale even for their time. There's just one thing that keeps dragging me back to this franchise though: the story (and arguably the characters).

Apparently there used to be a fanbase for it, and there's lots of fanart that's still out there, but the only posts you see these days is about how dead the fandom is and how we're never going to get our remakes or the third game that was sorta teased in a bonus cutscene after beating the second game. Seeing as I don't have any console that came out past the DS, I don't know if either of the games are on the PSN, but from what I gather, I don't think they are.

So...that all said, what I'm kinda hoping to do here is to gauge how many raiders are some of the scattered remnants of that fandom, or maybe introduce some of you to the fact that it's a thing that exists. I'm kinda sick of being the only one I know who knows anything at all about it. Besides, part of me really wants to get into doing fanart of the series, maybe even a cosplay of Rion if I ever get half the chance. Rather blatantly, I want to try to revive it. Best way I can think to do that is to talk about it.

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: The Galerians Franchise
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 10:43:28 AM »
It is so weird to see you post this Mahlua. Yes, I heard of Galerians. Someone commented on a comic I drew a while ago and said it reminded him of Galerians. He also told of how it didn't age well, but how he loved the story. I have the playthrough bookmarked on youtube, but I'd love to be able to play it somehow on my PC through emulation or something.

I wonder if I can jam it on Vita.

How much of a fan were you of it?

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
There's an...erm..."colorful" expression that would accurately capture it quite well, but for the sake of the forum, we'll just say that I'm quite a fan of the setting and themes. The character designs are pretty nice, too. Galerians: ASH was one of the first PS2 games I owned (up with Star Ocean Till the End of Time), so I wasn't really aware that others would find the controls clunky and all that. I kinda learned with it, and the grittiness of it always inspired me.

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »
Damn well I guess I know then. Man, PS2 was the best.

Star Ocean wait where have I heard that name before?

Gritiness makes the world go round. I love that sort of atmosphere.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
You wanna talk atmosphere, the second game's opening title sequence theme gets stuck in my head every time something semi-epic happens in my life. Could you imagine if they re-orchestrated this and actually had decent 3DCGI for this intro?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65RPkonMS8U