December 10, 2018, 12:07:44 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writing with limited life experience  (Read 394 times)

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
Writing with limited life experience
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:27:21 AM »
I'm a younger teenager (under 17), and a one that cares more about my writing and video games rather than people my age at that. With both of these combined, it can be difficult to gain life experience, and though some of my writing has managed, there are just some things are hard to write accurately until you've seen it first-hand. So what's the best way to write something you've never experienced, or come close to experiencing? I've got a little while to go before I'll be out in the world and having these things happen to me.
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline MahluaandEggnog

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: Writing with limited life experience
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:39:59 AM »
That's a pretty tough question to tackle. I think my theatre friend once explained something similar to me once about acting a character type he had no "experience" with.

You can take some experiences you do have, an use your imagination to *censored* the context. In my friend's case, he was playing a heroin-addicted runaway who would sell his body for money or a place to stay for a night. What my friend did is he pulled on the memory of what it's like to be hungry, or to be nervous for something important like a test, and he amplified that. He asked himself how that would affect someone's mind under the stress of poverty, and acted accordingly.

That said, what I think you can take away from this is that you can find a similar, mundane, typical experience and reimagine it under different circumstances to create a "fantasy experience" with which you can draw on for your writing.

Offline EffulgentFirefly

• Student writer with no other talents whatsoever
  • Spectating until I'm invited into a game
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
Thanks! I've always tried really hard to imagine things as best I could, but I guess I forgot about the possibility of this or something. I'll definitely keep it in mind as I keep writing :D
I'm too shy to initiate... But I'm open to anyone else doing it. Just tell me if you need to say something :D

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
Yeah that's pretty close to what I would suggest. Speaking from experience, when I started writing, I was just a kid in some farm town in the middle of nowhere. I had to sort of infer a lot of things. There's no replacement for actual experience of course, but that only comes in time. Can't rush.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF