September 24, 2018, 11:19:23 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 299 times)

Offline Andrew Wander

• A 13 year old boy.
    • View Profile
Greetings!
« on: December 17, 2017, 08:01:05 AM »
Hey!
Greetings, I'm a new member in the MangaRaiders forum and I want to say hello to everyone of you.
I am a thirteen-years-old student and I really like watching anime :D
I started drawing anime/manga styled stuff 3 days ago. I watched a lot of tutorials on YouTube and I think I'll be learning slowly.
I drawn with a pretty cheap set of colored pencils and it didn't look good, definitely  :(
I'm going to get some new art supplies like markers and colored pencils very soon  :dance:
I came to this forum because I really want to get comments so I could improve quickly  ::)
Spoiler
I hope I'll have a great stay in the forum  :D
Wish you a great day!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 09:13:41 AM »
Welcome to mangaraiders!

I'm glad you've taken an interest in art! Let me start with some advice on that: Learning to "draw anime style" is actually the wrong way to go about learning to "draw anime style", funny enough. Good artists don't look at the finished style and emulate, they start with the basics, and develop for themselves.

You should start by learning proper anatomy, geometry, shading, all the things that get covered in a basic art class. If you know the fundamentals, crafting a unique style will come easy. Do not take the quick and easy path, as Vader did.

Good luck!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 12:58:16 PM »
Coryn definitely has a point. What tends to happen is that artists stylize the reality they see, and if you learn form someone else's exaggerated reality, there are a lot of things that you might learn that don't actually work in reality (mostly because every artist is still growing and there are little problems with just about every style).

Still, there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to draw anime. I encourage you to draw what makes you happy, but as for when you want to improve, the fundamentals are the best way to go.

When you go to the art store, I strongly suggest that you resist the temptation to buy anything from Impact publishers, e.g. authors Mark Crilley, Sophie-Chan, and Chris Hart. They advertise a "get good at anime/manga art!" scheme, but they don't put nearly as much focus on how to actually improve art and more or less are just good for ideas and references--and even then, some of the things in their books are a little...derpy. That isn't to say that they can't be helpful--rather, they say "hey, these books are for beginners!" when truly, if you don't already have a solid foundation in art, they're going to do more harm than good.

Offline dmasterxd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 02:50:05 AM »
Hey, nice to meet you. Honestly, I don't think your rt even looks that bad. Way better than my crap, haha (I'm more of a writer. I hope you have a good time here Andrew. Let me know if you just wanna chat or something.
"You don't die for your friends. You live for them!"-Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)