December 12, 2018, 04:58:36 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: First poor drawings :D  (Read 1472 times)

Offline HiddenDestruction

• View Profile
First poor drawings :D
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:24:48 PM »
Hi I decided to open my artistic side by starting to write and draw. I have very poor skills but here you go, dat is my very first drawing:
Spoiler

I made the drawing in a logo-creating program (Sothink Logo Maker) where I can easily edit and move every line I made before.
I'm very open to criticism :) .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:38:24 PM by HiddenDestruction »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: First poor drawings :D
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
Congratulations on starting! Starting is the first step to being bad at something, which is the first step on being good at that something!

I'm no artist myself, but it's a good first drawing!

Although if you're serious, I would suggest getting a more standard art program to work in. What you're using sounds good for simple stuff to start, but an actual drawing program will do you more good in the long run. I'd suggest paint tool Sai, as you can download it for free, and it is surprisingly deep if you learn it well.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
Good for you for flexing your art side. You are one step closer to fulfilling your manga dreams.

I won’t judge to harshly. Because what do I know. The only thing I have to say is that your style looks too 90s. You need to update your style for present day.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 05:17:28 PM »
It's pretty good for your first time. Though I have 2 tips. First, is that eyes are generally always in the middle (height wise). Second, avoid mirroring your image. It always looks strange and it's best to get away from the habit early.

The only thing I have to say is that your style looks too 90s. You need to update your style for present day.
@HiddenDestruction You can ignore this. A style is something you'll find as you go and however it looks (old or not) is up to you. Focus on learning anatomy and proportions for now. There are some pretty good tutorials lying around deviant art too.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
I have to second Robin on this though I do think Forlorn does have a point as well. I'm really glad you've taken the first steps to starting your art journey, so props on that! Try to keep this momentum going and keep drawing!

As for the style thing, there isn't anything you NEED to do, especially at your level. Don't stress over style, focus on fundamentals and learning the basics as Robin said. This website http://www.drawabox.com/ is a great place to begin, I've gotten great mileage out of these exercises myself!

Now to play devil's advocate on this one, Forlorn does have a point about style though. While I don't think it is a good idea to emulate styles too early on in your art career, definitely start thinking about what kind of art YOU like personally. Those kinds of things will influence your work later on as you begin to make progress. And don't worry if you're inspired by 90's anime, there's a place for almost anything nowadays in art and I honestly find older styled art to be quite refreshing!

Offline MahluaandEggnog

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »
I certainly can't say a lot based on one drawing, but I will say a few things that I typically say to most starting artists:

Get yourself a notebook and a pencil, and draw everything you see. This will help you keep your creative juices flowing and will help your brain start to figure out how 3d shapes work on 2d paper, or later, a 2d computer screen. Don't trash the idea of traditional art media just because digital is "cleaner" or anything. It's something that's good to try to get a grasp on, and it's easier to take with you on travels and stuff. You can get some good mileage in that way.

On that note, as boring as it sounds, drawing from life is exponentially more helpful than drawing what another artist has drawn. How art tends to work is that an artist will innately stylize things, and honestly, style should be the last thing for a beginning artist to think about because it will come far better to you once you have your own understanding of how art things work, which may be different from how your favorite artists think art thinks work.

It's hard to get an idea of where to go based on one drawing, so I hope to see more from you soon! And, as everyone else has said, congrats on taking the first step, as sometimes, it can be the hardest.

Offline yulemaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has nice snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »
Man I wish I started drawing with good linework. I ended up ingraining that bad habit in everything I do later, so good start there really!

As Mahlua said drawing from life is really helpful stuff. Style from the start can turn out to be quite problematic. Also mileage. Avoid diving into too many tutorials instead of just having fun and going wild, drawing what you'd like to draw. It's easier to keep track of how much you're actually improving that way, and when people see your bunch of drawings they can point out where to improve and stuff.

Keep at it!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
Thx for the advices, for now I'm in a mood for drawing faces but i think I'll practice drawing some regular items too.

Spoiler

This time I tried to draw a face similar to the Kirito in GGO and from the other angle.

Offline MahluaandEggnog

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
You seem to be getting the basic shapes down, which is a good start. Then again, it's still hard to tell with only a couple of drawings to go on.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 09:46:02 AM »

Spoiler

Offline MahluaandEggnog

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 01:01:04 PM »
Well, I'm a dingus. At first I thought the pens in the cup were cigarettes and I was very confused.

You seem to have a good grasp on shape, considering how well the laptop and cup appear to have some depth to them. There are a few small perspective issues on the keys themselves, and the head being straight up despite the screen being tilted, but, overall, if you could have a way to erase the line going through the pens, this would probably work in a low-budget webcomic.

While it would work for that, I believe you have it in you to aspire for higher than that. Keep working with it.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »
Haha, I coudn't imagine the pens would look like cigarettes but when you said that... :D And true, I forgot about the angle of the screen.

Below is a drawing from the actual picture of me so you might get a clue on how I look like.
And this is my real uniform :D
Spoiler

Offline eukocar

• its not perverted its art!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »
Uniform!? For school or work?
These drawing are really good! Keep up the great work!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 03:52:45 AM »
It's from a paramilitary organization - modern day Polish Rifle Squads --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Rifle_Squads

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
My dad in Jedi uniform XD of course the uniform is made up by me although he likes Jedi order :)
The structure behind is our door.
Spoiler