January 17, 2018, 06:56:43 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Making shounen power system  (Read 76 times)

Offline FinGeek12

• View Profile
Making shounen power system
« on: December 14, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »
I need help making shounen power system. I'm trying to think of a power system that is unique and can vary greatly by individuals like devil fruits or nen. Instead, all I can think of is generic systems where you have inner power (ki, energy, etc) that you can unleash in different attacks. Do you have any advice?

EDIT: Okay, I have general idea of what my power system will be, but I need your advice. I decided that everyone has aura (that represents you personality) and it's color specifies your power. The powers should be vague like physical or healing. The auras are:

Red (Energetic, adventurous, quick to anger, devil-may-care approach in life): Physical

Yellow (intelligent, calm, introverted): Mental

Green (hard working, down to earth, enjoys stability and balance): ?

Pink (caring, sympathetic, loving): Healing

Orange (Social, energetic, quick to anger but easily forgives): ?

Purple (Intuitive, attuned to emotions and moods of others, introverted): ?

Blue (Intuitive, intelligent, charismatic, leader types): ?

Colorful (artistic, social, loves to be center of attention, tendency to be lavish and generous): ?

Black (Selfish, cruel or any other "evil" trait): ?

I also have another power system in mind. Since the beginning of the universe, god held certain objects/gems/something that encomposed materials that built universe, but they were broken and scattered around the multiverse. But they still emit energy that flows through the multiverse and talented people can tap into it and gain extraordinary powers.

Basically Infinity Gem like objects were broken and scattered, but extremely talented people can tap into them and gain powers. Although it's only for extremely talented and even only then they can get just some basic one gimmick like powers (able to punch hard, shoot lasers from fingers).

Are these original or is there something really similar. Which one is better? Any advices to improving them?

PS: I also decided to make sci-fi battle shounen. I don't think there has been anything like that, except DBZ.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:47:14 PM by FinGeek12 »

Offline YoUr EyEs

• Leader of the {CONTANT PAIN AT GROUND ZERO}?•?
  • We are deemed to fall, we are deemed to be happy~
    • View Profile
Re: Making shounen power system
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »
I think that it is always a good idea to start with something basic and when you have your power scale and your ideas for the world are set up, you can base the power on the world's settings~

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:48:32 PM »
There are two ways you can about this:

You can go completely wacky with it and start writing down a list of the most ridiculous concepts for powers you possibly you can think of. No matter how crazy it sounds, write it down and experiment with it. Add layers to it. Challenge yourself to think outside the box. For example: A Character's powers derive from eating special kinds of potato chips that are associated with certain brands that make these super powered chips, and depending on the quality of the chips and their brand, characters can acquire special powers for a certain period of time. Or it can be permanent. It's up to you to play with. As stupid as it may sounds, the idea is to come up with something unconventional that you can flip into a something special and unique that makes sense.

Or...

You can take concepts from already established stories and add your own twist to them. Mix up ideas already used and see if you can create something new out of it. Do research on types of spiritual energies and the philosophies behind them. Take what you learned and incorporate those ideas into your story.

There are many more ways to go about this, but try to remember that it doesn't necessarily have to be something groundbreaking to feel original. As long as you can execute the idea in a way that feels genuine to the world you're building,  then being completely original shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Offline FinGeek12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 01:49:42 AM »
I think that it is always a good idea to start with something basic and when you have your power scale and your ideas for the world are set up, you can base the power on the world's settings~

I tried to do that (base power system off the setting), but I couldn't come up with setting that hasen't been done before (there are pirates, ninjas, superheroes, everything has been done) so I decided to make unique power system and setting based on that.

There are two ways you can about this:

You can go completely wacky with it and start writing down a list of the most ridiculous concepts for powers you possibly you can think of. No matter how crazy it sounds, write it down and experiment with it. Add layers to it. Challenge yourself to think outside the box. For example: A Character's powers derive from eating special kinds of potato chips that are associated with certain brands that make these super powered chips, and depending on the quality of the chips and their brand, characters can acquire special powers for a certain period of time. Or it can be permanent. It's up to you to play with. As stupid as it may sounds, the idea is to come up with something unconventional that you can flip into a something special and unique that makes sense.

Or...

You can take concepts from already established stories and add your own twist to them. Mix up ideas already used and see if you can create something new out of it. Do research on types of spiritual energies and the philosophies behind them. Take what you learned and incorporate those ideas into your story.

There are many more ways to go about this, but try to remember that it doesn't necessarily have to be something groundbreaking to feel original. As long as you can execute the idea in a way that feels genuine to the world you're building,  then being completely original shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:48:26 PM by FinGeek12 »