March 29, 2024, 03:27:41 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Workshop Witch (Suggestions/thoughts please!)  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Bruised~Kitten

• View Profile
Workshop Witch (Suggestions/thoughts please!)
« on: December 13, 2017, 07:48:31 PM »
Everybody associates witches with potions and spells and all that stuff... who would expect a witch who can build a table with their bare hands? But that’s what she wants to do and doggonit, no amount of weird looks or stereotypes are going to stop her! A young witch in high school is taking a wood shop type class despite nobody taking her seriously. After all who can take a twig of a girl hauling a wooden board twice her height seriously?! But she’s determined to show everyone that she can do it just as well as anybody else, maybe even better. Between playing with saws capable of cutting her arm off and the culture shock of the “basement students”*, what could go wrong?

But seriously, what could go really wrong because I can’t think of an actual real plot line and still have some kinks to work out. Biggest kink being: Should the whole school have witches and wizards in it openly or should she have to hide her magic powers? Of course I’m a sucker for romance so she’s gotta fall in love with someone.
Anyway, I’m kinda stumped and I’d love to hear what people think might be a good idea to include or what they would like to see or not see in something like this. If it helps any, I’m thinking she’s really attached to the wood shop teacher because her biological father was a terrible person and the teacher is a very caring older man who’s just like the father she’s always wished she had. Also, she may or may not have an older sister that was in the same class when she was in high school.

*basement students: In my school there are students who spend most of their time on the top floor where a lot of advanced classes are, so most of the more “intellectual” students are on that floor. But in the basement is where all the kids who aren’t very into school learn trade things that will help them get a job since they’re not planning on going to college.

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop Witch (Suggestions/thoughts please!)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:25:28 PM »
If you ar having trouble with a plot line, just reread what you wrote in the last paragraph. Switch magic with college and woods shop with trade school. So basically you have why would a smart person do a trade instead of going to college. So this could be a follow your dream story, or “my potential is not based on your expectations” story.

Magic should be an open thing. It creates a distinct class and serves a metaphor for elitism.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:34:26 PM by Forlorn Serpent »

Offline Bruised~Kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:23:07 PM »
I should probably explain what my school does with that - some of the basement classes are for about half the school day while others are for only a single period so that kids can like... get their feet wet, see what they like. The main character isn’t necessarily going into a wood shop type career or anything but it’s something she enjoys and doesn’t want anyone to stop her from doing.

Yeah I usually really like doing metaphors, but I kind of want her magic to take a back seat and focus on other things. I’m mostly aiming for a high school comedy-romance but with dark undertones about the struggles of stereotypes and sexism and how much of a role they really play to everyone in our society. If I had to give an example of what I’m thinking, the closest thing I know of would be Kiki’s Delivery Service.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:26:47 PM by Bruised~Kitten »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:08 PM »
So, are you wanting to approach this more from the viewpoint that the witch character wants to take the woodworking class to spite people, or because she genuinely appreciates the art form and wants to take it on as a personal hobby?
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Bruised~Kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »
So, are you wanting to approach this more from the viewpoint that the witch character wants to take the woodworking class to spite people, or because she genuinely appreciates the art form and wants to take it on as a personal hobby?

She genuinely enjoys it and I could even see her wanting to follow some sort of career in it. I doubt her mother would think it to be an “acceptable” thing for a young witch to take interest in though. At the same time, the main character doesn’t particularly mind that she’s kinda spiting people by doing so - feeling controlled by others is a big pet peeve of hers.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:25:03 PM »
I see. Well, the major thing for writing any story is that there's some sort of obstacle to overcome. What will the overarching challenge be that will add meat to the story? "Witch takes on non-witchy job" makes for a good idea, but what will make it interesting? The final exam? Graduation? Where do you want the story to go?

Once you have some of those questions set for yourself, building up the rest of the characters and universe will probably come a lot more easily.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Bruised~Kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
Hmm... One thing I’ve been considering was that the witch came to a non-magical school to hide from her maniac of a father who’s trying to hunt her down after she ran away - so the climax could be the father breaking into the school and attacking leading to her ultimately defeating him. But I feel like the story needs more than just that plot point and I really can’t picture testing or anything being a struggle for her.
Yeah, that’s why I’ve been trying to figure this out. Thank you for the questions to help get me thinking!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 10:42:21 PM »
Maybe she defeats him by combining the two elements of her life: magic and woodworking. Hear me out--she could make a magical door which people who seek to cause harm may not pass through.

Just an idea that came to mind as I read your post.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Bruised~Kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 10:57:16 PM »
I’m gonna be totally honest, one of my first thoughts was that she uses one of the super heavy duty saws and like chops him in half but at the same time you’re idea is much more kid friendly and I’m trying so hard to not make this story really obviously dark and that actually gave me an idea! A lot of this story is coming from my own life experience. I’m the only girl in my work working class and I grew up with a very bad fear of my father coming to the school building (let’s just say he did enough we had to get a restraining order on him). Just recently I had a breakdown at school because every time I get really close to someone, their relatives start dying and sometimes I feel like it’s my fault (I know, illogical) and I’m a walking bad luck charm, so it could be something like that for her but with a magical twist to it so she actually is bad luck or something. So she could go around casting spells (like on the teacher’s doors at school) that are supposed to ward away evil to try to stop bad things from happening. Maybe a lot of them backfire so she’s nervous about using magic? And if she’s running from her father it could be that she’s completely on her own which would add some meat by her figuring out how to survive. I think that was just the inspiration I needed for this!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 12:09:20 AM »
Glad I could be of help! I can't wait to see how that turns out.

Also, as a witch, I can certainly say that being nervous about magic would be a fair reason for any sort of spell to backfire. It's all about intention, so you have to be one hundred and ten percent set on what you want to do.

I'm sorry to hear that your father is like that. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm by no means a professional, but my inbox is open. I won't turn you away or call your fears any mean names. I haven't been in your shoes, but I've seen some rough sides of life in my time.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Bruised~Kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 12:33:38 AM »
Thank you. That definitely helps give reason for why her spells would backfire so often! And also for the offer, they were some horrible times but without them I wouldn’t have wanted to become a counsellor to help other people going through rough times. The same goes for you if you’re ever upset or anything, I’m always up to help with absolutely anything.