July 22, 2018, 06:09:49 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Buying a new drawing tablet  (Read 1193 times)

Online KeanFox

• View Profile
Buying a new drawing tablet
« on: December 09, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »
Got my current tablet in 2012, Still works. the pen taped, buttons don't work. glitch from time to time.
Still can draw with it, but have to deal with its problems.
It's time for an upgrade to display tablet. Been thinking about that for the last 7 months.

But what to get?
The Chinese alternatives like Ugee and Huion that goes from 300 to 900 USD. They just work. get the job done you know. They got small things about them just not up there. But for that price, you are getting more for your money.

IPad Pro is a good option. seen artist do great art with it. for 409 Plus 100 for the Apple Pencil plus drawing apps like Procreate. Now they have CLIP STUDIO PAINT app. Sound good.

The Wacom. The best technology and most expensive. When they work like they sposed to they are excellent. I heard they have a lot of problems. Expensive, bad customer support, bad drivers etc.

I want a Cintiq
The Wacom Cintiq Pro is the latest thing. its 1000 to 1500 USD. That's a lot of money most artists don't have.
Also with the Cintiq Pro, your laptop or PC might not be compatible with it. There is a workaround by using adapters but it's not 100% guarantee that it will work.
That's the biggest issue.

If I get this but it didn't work. I'm gonna be broke with an expensive tablet that doesn't work.

I might just buy alternative or Cintiq HD.

Offline MK

• Super Critic
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new drawing tablet
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »
Honestly, i don't think the pricetag should sway you away from buying a cintiq if you really want it.  If you are working a job aleady then look into what your expenses are and find ways to save money.  Cooking at home instead of eating out is one of the easiest ways to save money.  If you're hurting for money now then I would say getting a cheap pen tablet to replace your old one and upgrading later

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 06:51:35 PM »
If it's not too late, I've had experience with two Huion GT-191 drawing tablet monitors

They rely on technology of the previous generation of Cintiq but they're still amazing for the price. For $500 you get a huge 19.5 inch drawing surface that responds pretty well. It isn't as nice as current generation Cintiqs but is still pretty amazing.

I recommend checking out this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkSwtbxyvaI

His review is pretty in-depth and reflects pretty much what I would say.
I'm back~~~

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »
I use the Huion KAMVAS GT-191. I recommend it. (I've seen a lot of reviews that Cintiq is riding on it's fame so the actual quality of their products are going down.)

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 07:23:35 PM »
I wouldn't say the quality is going down, Wacom's Cintiq line is just a generation ahead. Their current generation beats the Huion GT-191 by having less input lag and less paralax by using a thinner glass for the screen. They also have a tablet that can operate without a full computer which is pretty amazing.

The question is whether or not you're willing to shell out the money for the new technology or if something cheaper will do. In this case, specifically the GT-191 is amazing.
I'm back~~~

Online KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »
Thank you, everyone! Glad to hear from people that have experience with screen tablets.  Been asking around and not a lot of people have them.

I didn't buy a tablet yet. I don't know what to choose. New models keep coming out, prices going up and down.

Huion KAMVAS GT-191, GT-220, GT-221 are a good choice. They are big. They give you things like extra Pen, glove, stand, screen protector, even a screwdriver. All that under 900$.
But everyone says it's great for that price but not as good as a Cintiq Pro. What if that little bit of quality will make all the difference.
For 900 I can get the 13 inch Cintiq Pro. For drawing comics and painting 13 inches might be too small and tiring in a long drawing session.
Cintiq Pro has a lot of negative reviews. A big part of it is the high price and people buying it then finding that it's not compatible with their setup. Wacom is not clear about the compatibility so part of it is their responsibility.
I want to buy a Wacom, hope it works with my pc.

Thank you  MK I'm not hurting for money and been saving money, now it's in my budget. But its a lot of money. Sometimes I think I should get a regular 250$ tablet

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 03:32:26 PM »
For me the size issue isn't really a problem. I own a Cintiq Pro 13 and use the keyboard shortcuts extensively, including the possibility to zoom in and out, rotate or translate the image, change brush sizes etc. I use my left hand to draw and my right hand is constantly on the keyboard moving around the image (I could use touch gestures or pen buttons but I find the keyboard faster and with more possibilities to access custom functions). It's not tiring that way because my right hand doesn't move. I'm not a professional artist, and I haven't tried a bigger screen, but my 13 inch screen does not feel cramped.

Online KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 12:51:19 PM »
Thank you!
Did you have any trouble connecting the Cintiq Pro to your computer/laptop?
I'm worried about tiring my eyes staring at a small screen for hours.

I have no experience with this type of tablets but I her artist say that the more space is better for painting.

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 06:03:06 PM »
No compatibility issues on my PC with Mini Display Port and on a macbook pro with usb-c, but yeah seeing what I've read on the net you need to make sure your setup has what it needs.

I don't work long hours on the tablet so I can't say it would be tiring, and I don't strain because I zoom whenever it's too small. Anyways I generally feel eye fatigue comes more from bad lighting (bright screen, dim room).

Experienced artists tend to use their arms more so it's probably better for them to have a big screen. I suggest you try out different sizes to see what suits you.

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
If you don't have the option of trying out different sizes, but you feel you need the arm movement space, it would be safer to take a bigger tablet since I suppose the 13 inch tablet might be a bit small.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:09:05 PM by fcollot »

Online KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 11:02:06 PM »
Yea, Cintiq Pro works best with Mini Displayport and use-c. Only on the latest laptops and graphics cards. There is a workaround by using Wacom link and Active Converter. But it's not guaranteed it will work. also may lose some screen resolution.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Wacom or Huion.

This is XP-Pen for 360$ if anyone interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJiV4oQJlbA

Online KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:18 AM »
I bought the Wacom Cintiq Pro 13. It will arrive at least in three weeks
I'm feeling a bit of regret. Maybe I should just bought the Huion GT, oh well.
I also bought a bunch of converters, cables, and adapters for the Cintiq.

Check out this connectivity nightmare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYaDKZc_Jns
The music makes it feel like a studio ghibli movie about cables wizardry.

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a giant primary school playground.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 03:32:23 PM »
I have never had any problems with my wacom tablets. They are a bit expensive but they are excellent. In my country (France) the client support is good: they helped me in the past and gave me precise advice. I have  never heard bad things about them.
I'm sure you made a good choice!

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:18 PM »
I looked at the price tag.

Online KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »
@Forlorn XD thats how it felt at first. But the day after when the price adds up I started to feel the burn.
Add to the price $100 for cables and adapters and another 100 for Shipping, Import Fees & Taxes

@Corycaly Thank you!
I hear mostly positive things about Wacom tablets. When it comes to the Cintiq Pro I see a people buying them then returning it for whatever reason.
I hope it works