October 21, 2018, 01:43:32 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: When everything you ever do is "Wrong"  (Read 251 times)

Offline BobbyJoeXForgotenSB

• Everybody seem to think I'm Lazy
  • I don't mind, I think they're CRAZY!
    • View Profile
When everything you ever do is "Wrong"
« on: September 30, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »
i know, bad topic to return to, so i been working on my comic and getting along with a group from Tapastic... well until recently

it seems specific people have many problems with Royal, little nitpicky things. and that i should remove it all from my comic or i'll get in trouble with the fiction police

i'm not allowed to call things certain things and one of the biggest scenes was when Oliver and Danny get together officially, that scene is problematic to them too for a stupid reason (Cause Danny's 17 while Olivers 18).

the thing that is outright pissing me off is they are treating it like its real life, its stupid and im about to cry cause i cant talk about my comic to anyone on this discord server cause if these specific people see a scene involving drugs or a character getting beaten up, they have a massive problem

i think what im getting at is... what do i do? im developing anxiety attacks from this.... and i know, they have no control over my story... but... im just losing my *censored*ing mind over here

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: When everything you ever do is "Wrong"
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:14:54 AM »
Seems pretty straight forward to me. It's a classic case of "it's not you, it's them"

Obviously I don't know the full details, but it sounds like you just need a change in venue. Fiction is supposed to be a way to explore 'problematic' topics like drugs and abuse and such. Obviously there is a line where you go from just exploring it to straight up fetishising it. But as long as you're staying on the right side of that line, then I don't see a reason why they should have a problem.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »
Maybe you should try reading and reading the positive feedback you get in order to avoid overthinking about the negative one you recieved. That could help. Either way always changing things on the whims of the readers may be a bad idea, especially for productivities' sake.

Also the interwebs exists for free comicking spirits: Everything goes so forget about people trying to censor your stuff.

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 02:24:59 PM »
as long as the work you're producing isn't actually crossing a legal line then critics don't really have a leg to stand on, they are just complaining for the sake of it.
if their comments are on the literary aspects of the story then they might have something to offer you in terms of advice, but don't let people disagree with the way you want your story to go.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 05:42:20 PM »
the problems they have so far is i refered to an Asylum as a "Nut house" and so does one of my characters at some point (it is in character for him to do that too)

AND because of these scene where Olie and Danny wake up in bed together, and the biggest issue is Danny's 17 even tho here in Canada, its legal, not just that its never shown at all, just them waking up, so whats the big problem!

im getting upset because these people seem like the type to ... *censored* talk

ok i *censored* talk as well but im not widely known on the site like they are

i guess whats happening is they manipulated me to make be feel like i am not allowed to run my own comic and that if i do it, i'll get nothing but hate or backlash
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:49:41 PM by BobbyJoeXForgotenSB »

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
i refered to an Asylum as a "Nut house"
Yeah, you probably shouldn't do that, it can be offensive, although I actually googled nut house and I couldn't find any actual mention of it being an offensive term funnily enough.
and so does one of my characters at some point
but there's nothing wrong with this, as it's a fictional character. perhaps their using an offensive term is part of their character. not everyone is PG-13 in stories, let alone the internet :P

tho here in Canada, its legal,
then there is no problem at all, even if you did show anything.

they manipulated me to make be feel like i am not allowed to run my own comic
I am always concerned this will happen to me, that the fans opinions will start to outweigh my own. let alone the weight of the critic's opinions T_T
but in your case I think it's more of a negative sense. probably best not to discuss your story with people who wont be constructive towards it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 06:03:30 PM by suupertramp »

Offline Lord Kesashi

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »
My advice would be to separate yourself from these people. The reason why I say that is because your mental health comes first. If there are problems with the story, then there are problems with the story. You can work with that, fix it, improve it. But when you start to lose sleep over it, that's when this is bigger than the story.

But the problems they brought up are interesting because you don't seem to be able to reiterate any good reasons for changing anything. Probably they don't have any good reasons for it. If you wanted to work towards improvement rather than separating yourself from these people. I would say ignore the problems they bring up until they explain why they have that problem.

Once you know the reason why, it's much easier to create a solution, not only for that immediate problem, but for future problems. The real question you need to ask is, "what happens if I don't change it?"

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 10:11:20 PM »
there is always ppl who wont like your story, this is something i need to remember, i am not changing anything, im just going to do it