November 17, 2017, 09:49:24 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Is this too ambitious?  (Read 58 times)

Offline Liger_zero

• View Profile
Is this too ambitious?
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
Everytime I start to think about making a story, I always have this habit of looping it back to another story that I want to write, and I do this all the time, so what ends up happening is I have 8 stories all going on in the same universe at the same time with characters interacting regularly. ideally I would be able to manage all of these at once like a marvel expanded universe, but that would probably require massive funding and tons of people. I guess my main problem is that I want every character to be a main character in their own right.
           I started thinking though, "has anyone made a manga expanded universe before?" I couldnt think of any. So I thought, could I somehow gather a bunch of writers and artists together and create something that could one day rival marvel. I have no money or resources, but I have my stories. So I guess the question is, where the heck do I start?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Is this too ambitious?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 12:45:44 PM »
To answer the first question: Yes. Definitely yes. But that's for now. If you work hard, succeed, and learn to build from your success, then such a thing would certainly be possible one day with a lot of luck. But you can't just start at the top. You start in the gutter, and claw your way to the street. You then follow that street to wherever it leads. It may take you to the top of a mountain, or it may take you into a ravine. Again, luck is a big factor, like it or not.

Start small, with projects you can actually handle. Then move on to bigger and bigger projects as you gain experience and come to understand your art yourself. Big budget directors start with student films and tiny passion projects after all. Creating a massive web of stories is fine on paper, but if you're inexperienced then you'll doom yourself. It's all about setting achievable goals, which you can then use as stepping stones.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Online Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
I had a couple series that I had linked together, but it was incredibly difficult to avoid leaving plot holes and inconsistencies between them as I created convoluted explanations for how things worked in the story. Eventually I decided it was to the point where it was unlikely the readers could follow it with my current skill set and I divided the story into 3-4 separate stories which then made much more sense once divided.

Tldr: I tried and decided to undo it after a few years of struggling with it.

It's possible to pull it off, but I'll agree with Coryn that it's best if you don't start with it.
Interested in commissioning artwork or storyboards?
https://robinryuu.wixsite.com/dragonscale-studios

Offline Liger_zero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »
I know all that, I was really thinking about like, ten years down the line. Im just wondering how I go about recruiting people to work with without any capital. Im great at writing but horrible at buisness. Anyway, if anyone knows writers that wouldnt mind a massive collab, send them my way will you?.

Online Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »
Realistically it won't work unless you can pay your team. Most people lose interest in working on another person's project unless they're being paid. I've been on several comic teams and everyone lost interest after a month tops.

If you are serious about it and it's not a whim then you are basically looking to start your own business. That requires a bit of know-how so I would advise you on taking business classes. It's not something you can do without an investment so start saving for that 10 year goal and you may get there.

Don't start looking for writers and artists to be part of your team now. A lot can happen in 10 years and your team won't stay together as interests and priorities change. Create a solid plan of action and then start looking for a few people to hire as part of your team.

Also, until you and your team make a name for yourself you will only be able to tackle smaller projects that won't be so devastating (financially) if they go unnoticed for a while.
Interested in commissioning artwork or storyboards?
https://robinryuu.wixsite.com/dragonscale-studios

Offline araithiel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 10:34:17 AM »
A thing to remember is that those sorts of mass universes and linking are created through multiple writers plus an editing team whose sole job it is to watch over the stories and make sure they all make sense and connect, so putting it on yourself to do something similar is asking a ton of yourself that nobody would expect.

That said, it's something I've tossed around a bunch, but more importantly I would say that there's nothing wrong with looping between stories. My style is to have several projects at once and to just work on the one I happen to feel into that day or moment, and sometimes that means flipping between stuff too.

However, sometimes it's also time to admit that one of your plots or ideas doesn't have legs and can't keep going, which is why you bounce away from it. Those ideas I would say pull the plug on but find a way to integrate that idea with your other ones and fuse them together.

In terms of everyone feeling like a main character, you don't have to write a story about a main doing X, Y, Z. You can write stories that bounce between several mains and have an interwoven narrative. Maybe one day I'll put a post in here that doesn't reference Zetman but that's basically what it does, and just tells two stories that happen to overlap sometimes, with two characters (and then it starts to incorporate a third and fourth and beyond). You can also give major character arcs to a group, like One Piece and the early character intros where they all get a whole arc typically to explore who they are.
@nick on Wattpad