May 27, 2018, 01:12:13 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Flow Charts  (Read 313 times)

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
Flow Charts
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »
I'm in love with using flow charts with for my stories... I work from cause and effect so this is the best method I've found to piece everything together. They let me see everything at once and if there's any "loose ends/plot holes". I have separate charts for the main parts of the story (the different acts/arcs) and then down to the small details of how the different groups interact within the story. I might be the only one able to understand the mess of bubbles and arrows, but there's a method to my madness I assure you...

How about you guys? Ever try them? Like them or hate them? Have any tips or tricks to share?

Also would anyone be interested if I created a template or tutorial for my madness, I mean method?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Flow Charts
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:48:01 PM »
I've always thought it would be cool to have a big board with everything mapped out, but I always fear it will quickly devolve into a scene from a murder mystery with post it notes connected by an indescribable web of string. Although it seems handy for keeping the timeline in check.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:52:48 PM »
Lol, that's why I use the "Google Drawings" option my Google Drive. Stores nicely and I can take it with me.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:55:51 PM by Robin Ryuu »

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Chau-chau!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:30:24 PM »
@Coryn oh man, I've always wanted one of those boards. Just mounted on the wall. I imagine it'd make you feel like some sort of mastermind lol.

For myself, I've only used flow charts for a short time, (using google drawings as well - colour coded info boxes!!)
I like it. I find they're useful, especially, as you mention, Robin, seeing if there are anything plot holes. Often I'll have the beginning of the story, and the end, and then slowly fill up the middle. This also helps me with pacing, and seeing if the little events in between work smoothly towards the end... or if the major events seem important enough to keep.

What worked well for me too when using the flow chart for my stories was to start generally, like plotting out the major events I know that are going to happen first, then figuring out the in between. Of course, if you don't know the ending of your story, or conflicts, it can be tricky...

Yeah, my favourite part of flow charts, was the visual aspect, kinda "seeing" the forward direction of the story, and finding out if there's a part that meets a dead end.

Also - organization! :-D Boxes, lines, and text all neatly in a row~ kekekeke....
(you don't have to make them organized though lol. Whatever works best for you. I can't following the bubble mind mapping that well  :( )

No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.

My DA Account -> http://neysun.deviantart.com

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:42:01 PM »
Thinking about it actually, I did use flow charts toap out the VAN progression. They helped a lot there.

What I've always dreamed of is a wall of an office which is all white board, just for this kind of thing. At my college they had some of these in a few of the classrooms. They were also sliding doors with a big closet behind them.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:25:41 PM »
(you don't have to make them organized though lol. Whatever works best for you. I can't following the bubble mind mapping that well  :( )
That's me lol.

But yeah. The visual aspect does help me too. Writing bit by bit feels like I'm trying to dig to China with a spoon, I know there's an end somewhere buuut... But with the chart I can see the progression and seeing each box fill lets me feel motivated enough to actually get a good portion of work done. And it actually motivates me to write out the parts since I can see it in bite sized chunks.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »
Another note, it helps to switch between separate charts for main events/arcs and scenes/chapters if you get stuck on something.

For Grey: Home for Strays and Lunar Legend, I knew enough about the events I wanted to happen that I just used the arc chart, but with Melody Box I recently split it off of another story and it needed a new structure. To find one, I used the much larger scene chart where events happen by direct cause of the previous one and it was much easier with that one to link together the events and fill out the story (keeping the arc structure I'm using in mind so that there aren't "extra" chapters).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:45:49 AM by Robin Ryuu »

Offline MisterSherbetLemon

• The MangaRaiders Political Correctness Enforcer...Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 03:38:39 PM »
I use mindly when I'm travelling on the bus to map out the stuff I've written in detail and it definitely helps me spot the little inconsistencies.