November 23, 2017, 04:28:41 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Do I have social anxiety?  (Read 258 times)

Offline YoUr EyEs

• {CONSTANT PAIN AT GROUND ZERO}?•?
  • LIKEY!
    • View Profile
Do I have social anxiety?
« on: October 14, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »
I can be crazy and look like I'm on drugs when being with friends. But they have to be good friends that I've known for a while. If I have to go to a party that I know only a few people in there, I will get anxious easily.
I can talk to a stranger (and the opposite sex) without any problem, but I will die if I do public speaking in front of a hundred people.Do I have social anxiety? And what about you?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have social anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 06:16:00 PM »
Really, everyone experiences some kind of social anxiety, that's just being human. Of course if you really think you have a real problem, the best thing to do is to see an actual doctor, and get yourself sorted.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suupertramp

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 06:19:40 AM »
Generally everyone has a bit of everything wrong with them, but in dealable amounts. If you think you've got something serious, then as Coryn says, if youre worried, see a doctor. We can't diagnose you :P
Although I think most people would get heavily nervous in front of 100 people, I know i certainly would. Generally i'm OK speaking to strangers in normal situations, like at a shop talking about the weather etc.

Offline Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 10:42:03 AM »
I mean you sound fine to me, most people are like that no? Or atleast are awkard in some regard. I can relate to what you're saying.

I am certainly a sort of awkard bean, mostly because I overthink. Fricking I was even nervous thinking of how to ask my grandparents what they remember of the Winter War. Nervous asking my grandparents something...I'm that silly sometimes. I was thinking forever like "how do I phrase this". So I say a lot of dumb things because of this.

I worry where the conversation is going and how to end it, I'll talk to the guy at the comic store for 40 minutes sometimes but most of the time I'm like "come on keep steady...keep steady". I generally act the same with anyone, as I like to talk and I want people to like me for the goof I actually am. But I'm always thinking too much. I want to think I'm an extrovert who's selectively social.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:44:22 AM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline YoUr EyEs

• LIKEY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »

Really, everyone experiences some kind of social anxiety, that's just being human. Of course if you really think you have a real problem, the best thing to do is to see an actual doctor, and get yourself sorted.

I tend to think that a doctor would just say "yes" for the sake of making me take medications for it, that is the perception that I have from them. It might be the wise choice to do~

Generally everyone has a bit of everything wrong with them, but in dealable amounts. If you think you've got something serious, then as Coryn says, if youre worried, see a doctor. We can't diagnose you :P
Although I think most people would get heavily nervous in front of 100 people, I know i certainly would. Generally i'm OK speaking to strangers in normal situations, like at a shop talking about the weather etc.

I should probably do that, lol~!

I mean you sound fine to me, most people are like that no? Or atleast are awkard in some regard. I can relate to what you're saying.

I am certainly a sort of awkard bean, mostly because I overthink. Fricking I was even nervous thinking of how to ask my grandparents what they remember of the Winter War. Nervous asking my grandparents something...I'm that silly sometimes. I was thinking forever like "how do I phrase this". So I say a lot of dumb things because of this.

I worry where the conversation is going and how to end it, I'll talk to the guy at the comic store for 40 minutes sometimes but most of the time I'm like "come on keep steady...keep steady". I generally act the same with anyone, as I like to talk and I want people to like me for the goof I actually am. But I'm always thinking too much. I want to think I'm an extrovert who's selectively social.

I know what you mean, I also tend to overthink during a conversation and I start thinking about how to make a conversation "normally", I partly corrected that but still, I understand that.

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »
Those situations are pretty normal to be nervous about. Most people get anxious about public speaking and being in an environment where they don't know people. I guess the question is of how anxious you are in those situations.

Also, I might see about seeing a counseling psychologist before a doctor (unless you need a referral from a doctor), as a doctor will usually prescribe you medication, but a counseling psychologist will usually educate you a bit more and offer you alternate coping methods if you don't want to go on meds and possibly give a diagnosis. I've been on the medication they would likely prescribe you. It's helpful if you need something to help you "get through" dark periods of your life, but it has side effects, short and long term. It's a last resort imo. There are lots of ways to deal with social anxiety that are actually more effective, I've found.

Offline YoUr EyEs

• LIKEY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »
I am generally always anxious and I will usually give up on anything that requires that I have to speak...

I had to deal with a psychologist in the past and it was always hard for me to start talking, I was not able to understand the concept toward the "tell me about your problems" thing, obviously, I would just sit for minutes seaching for what to say...

I want to avoid medications at all cost tho. I think it is like a vaccum, it always suck you in deeper once you take one of them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:38:05 PM by YoUr EyEs »

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• Understood Newt
  • A truly critical mind is an open mind, and vice versa.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 03:52:46 PM »
Lol, I had trouble with the opposite. Psychologists putting words in my mouth. I guess they're trying to compensate for the problem you described.

Some medications are addictive. Others just aren't very fun to be on. Again, last resort.

I would check out the Anxiety & Phobia Workbook.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »
Actually, this has nothing to do with social anxiety.  :ninja: Glossophobia, or the more common term "Stage Fright" is a completely normal reaction to performing in front of an audience, especially a large one. It's estimated that as many as 3 out of 4 people have this phobia, putting you in the vast majority of everyone else. You would not be alone in feeling that way whenever required to publicly speak.

That having been said, I'd recommend practice. Lots of practice. Try out different styles, such as scripts or improvisation. Personally I favour improv since I only need to remember the most important points and use my "normal talk" to fill in the blanks. If you haven't noticed, your own teachers do it all the time! It would help a lot to start "listening" to them. No, really. Listen to them! Especially the better ones. You'll start to notice how they pace themselves, where they begin their transitions, and how they conclude their lessons. You could learn a thing or two on how other people manage their speeches.  8)

The little details in life give colour to an otherwise large, yet bland world.  ;)
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline YoUr EyEs

• LIKEY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
@50 Words for Papis

I should search on the subject more before going too deep into it...

@Operative13

I may have overreacted, I suppose it was not what I had thought, Although, I would do anything to get away from crowds even if it is required to do so.

Offline Tobari

• LIGHT NOVELIST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »
I have it reversed. I can do a presentation of something in front of huge amount of people. (I do that on local anime cons). Youre not interacting with those people, you do not even know them. But talking with someone? Not possible. I have no friends. Literally. I have not talked to anyone in 5 months now. And in the past, I had nearly no friends either. I was abused by my mother for last 8 years. I could not do anything.

Until I found out about writing. When I watch anime, read manga or write light novels, I can escape to totally different world. Light novels take this to next level, because I can pour my feelings into them.  :heart:

Offline YoUr EyEs

• LIKEY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
I have it reversed. I can do a presentation of something in front of huge amount of people. (I do that on local anime cons). Youre not interacting with those people, you do not even know them. But talking with someone? Not possible. I have no friends. Literally. I have not talked to anyone in 5 months now. And in the past, I had nearly no friends either. I was abused by my mother for last 8 years. I could not do anything.

Until I found out about writing. When I watch anime, read manga or write light novels, I can escape to totally different world. Light novels take this to next level, because I can pour my feelings into them.  :heart:

People who abuses others are repulsive and I despise them!
If you ever need an ear to hear you out just PM me~

Offline Tobari

• LIGHT NOVELIST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »
Thanks, but I wont. It is rude to talk about such things to someone.

Offline YoUr EyEs

• LIKEY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
It is not rude, sometimes it's better to open up to others but, I understand~