November 18, 2017, 09:55:13 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Question for manga artists.  (Read 177 times)

Offline Canislupus54

• View Profile
Question for manga artists.
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »
Could you work with a script like this: http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,18680.0.html ?
Or do you need a panel-by-panel script? This isn't a request to actually do so, just asking if you could.
Asking because I recently posted for a co-writer and if my current script is sufficient, that would drastically reduce my need for one. The primary reason I posted was because I don't know how to write in a paneled manner and online tutorials aren't clicking.

Offline Fortis Scriptor

• Senior bucket bearer on the sinking ship of writing.
    • View Profile
Re: Question for manga artists.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:25:34 PM »
I'm no artist, but looking at your script style, it's not bad, the only thing I would do is space out the different pieces just so it's easier to read because getting slammed with a wall of text in that manner can at best be sometimes hard to follow and at worst an eye sore.

To give you an example of what I mean.

Your original
Spoiler
A large man resting a massive sword on his shoulder rounds the corner right in front of Tora and Loup. He’s wearing the Hunter uniform with the sleeves torn off. The two tense up. Loup puts his right hand on the hilt of his sword.
Loup: Who are you? We didn’t hear about any other Hunters in the area.
The man smirks.
Large man: Heh, looks like the bait hasn’t quite expired yet. You can call me Black.
Loup: Bait? Then the malbeasts…
Black: I lured them here. Well, I can’t take all the credit. In any case, I—
Tora’s right fist impacts Black’s face. Black goes flying backwards down the street and smashes into a disheveled storefront.
Tora: You bastard! You killed people! Shot of a dead woman. You killed kids! Shot of a bloody teddy bear. I won’t forgive you, no matter how much you beg for it!
Black stands and dusts himself off. His face splits into a manic smile and he starts laughing.
Black: Nice arm, boy! If you want to fight I’ll be happy to oblige.
Black swings his sword down on the ground one-handed. A wave of air pressure rushes at Tora, Tora’s eyes widen, but Loup pulls him out of the way.
Loup(whispering): I was going to grill him for information! Too late now. We’ll take him together.
Tora grins and nods. Suddenly, Black is right in front of them, swinging his sword down on Loup. Loup draws his sword and blocks, causing a large shockwave that tears apart the walls and street around them. Black and Loup lock swords.
Black: Good reflexes, kid!

How I'd suggest spacing it out.
Spoiler
A large man resting a massive sword on his shoulder rounds the corner right in front of Tora and Loup. He’s wearing the Hunter uniform with the sleeves torn off. The two tense up. Loup puts his right hand on the hilt of his sword.

The man smirks.

Large man: Heh, looks like the bait hasn’t quite expired yet. You can call me Black.

Tora’s right fist impacts Black’s face. Black goes flying backwards down the street and smashes into a disheveled storefront.

Tora: You bastard! You killed people! Shot of a dead woman. You killed kids! Shot of a bloody teddy bear. I won’t forgive you, no matter how much you beg for it!

Black stands and dusts himself off. His face splits into a manic smile and he starts laughing.

Black swings his sword down on the ground one-handed. A wave of air pressure rushes at Tora, Tora’s eyes widen, but Loup pulls him out of the way.

Loup(whispering): I was going to grill him for information! Too late now. We’ll take him together.

Tora grins and nods. Suddenly, Black is right in front of them, swinging his sword down on Loup. Loup draws his sword and blocks, causing a large shockwave that tears apart the walls and street around them. Black and Loup lock swords.

Just do that and it makes it significantly easier to read, and hence it'll be easier for an artist to translate.

I hope this helps, and I wish you luck getting this made into a manga!

Offline Canislupus54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »
I'm no artist, but looking at your script style, it's not bad, the only thing I would do is space out the different pieces just so it's easier to read because getting slammed with a wall of text in that manner can at best be sometimes hard to follow and at worst an eye sore.

To give you an example of what I mean.

Your original
Spoiler
The man smirks.

How I'd suggest spacing it out.
Spoiler

The man smirks.

Just do that and it makes it significantly easier to read, and hence it'll be easier for an artist to translate.

I hope this helps, and I wish you luck getting this made into a manga!

Thanks, that helps.

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:21:55 PM »
Every artist has their own needs and ways to express details into a visual appearance. For example, when I draw out pages, I use a system like this:

Chapter: (This is usually centred and bolded; Only mention once)
Page: (What page this will be on)
Panel #: (What panel this work will focus on)
Panel Shape/Size: (The shape and size of the panel)
Setting: (This is tell about the background of the panel)
Character(s): (Who will be involved in the panel)
Character's Position/Action: (How the characters are placed, or what the characters are doing in the panel)
Character's Emotions: (What emotions are the character feeling/expressing)
Character Placement or Camera Angle/Zoom: (How do we see the characters/settings/situation)
Effects: (What kind of effects will be involved)
SFX: (what kind of noises will be involved)
Character's Dialogue : (What the character(s) will say/think in the panel)
Other: (Anything else that isn't mention, like colouring, term explanation, characters clothing, etc.)

In the end it looks something like this:

Spoiler
Chapter 11

Page: 3
Panel #: 5
Panel Shape/Size: Square; medium. Enough for 2 characters to be viewed from head to hip.
Setting: Blank; White Background
Character(s): Jon Dough, Alice Dough
Character's Position/Action:
* Jon is sitting at the table and eating a candy bar with his right hand; left arm is on the table and bent; legs slightly spread open.
* Alice is talking to Jon while eating her salad; she eats with a fork in her left hand; her right hand placed under her chin; her legs are crossed.

Character's Emotions:
Jon - Happy
Alice - happy

Character Placement or Camera Angle/Zoom:
*Characters are seen from their sides from head to waist; Jon is seen from his left, Alice is seen from her right.

Effects: N/A
SFX: Jon munching on his candy bar

Character's Dialogue:

Alice: "You know, I was thinking about what you said yesterday."

Other: Characters are wearing their school uniforms.

Offline Canislupus54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:10:41 PM »
Every artist has their own needs and ways to express details into a visual appearance. For example, when I draw out pages, I use a system like this:

Chapter: (This is usually centred and bolded; Only mention once)
Page: (What page this will be on)
Panel #: (What panel this work will focus on)
Panel Shape/Size: (The shape and size of the panel)
Setting: (This is tell about the background of the panel)
Character(s): (Who will be involved in the panel)
Character's Position/Action: (How the characters are placed, or what the characters are doing in the panel)
Character's Emotions: (What emotions are the character feeling/expressing)
Character Placement or Camera Angle/Zoom: (How do we see the characters/settings/situation)
Effects: (What kind of effects will be involved)
SFX: (what kind of noises will be involved)
Character's Dialogue : (What the character(s) will say/think in the panel)
Other: (Anything else that isn't mention, like colouring, term explanation, characters clothing, etc.)

In the end it looks something like this:

Spoiler
Chapter 11

Page: 3
Panel #: 5
Panel Shape/Size: Square; medium. Enough for 2 characters to be viewed from head to hip.
Setting: Blank; White Background
Character(s): Jon Dough, Alice Dough
Character's Position/Action:
* Jon is sitting at the table and eating a candy bar with his right hand; left arm is on the table and bent; legs slightly spread open.
* Alice is talking to Jon while eating her salad; she eats with a fork in her left hand; her right hand placed under her chin; her legs are crossed.

Character's Emotions:
Jon - Happy
Alice - happy

Character Placement or Camera Angle/Zoom:
*Characters are seen from their sides from head to waist; Jon is seen from his left, Alice is seen from her right.

Effects: N/A
SFX: Jon munching on his candy bar

Character's Dialogue:

Alice: "You know, I was thinking about what you said yesterday."

Other: Characters are wearing their school uniforms.

I see. So, do you think it would be a good idea to recruit an artist and see what they want? Or should I just get really detailed, like your system, to be safe?

Offline Vio

• Listed in the MR blacklist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:26:22 PM »
Well, recruiting an artist here is difficult. It's not impossible, but the odds are not great. I would first suggest you create and work on your profile as a writer so if an artist is interested, you can lead them to your previous works to show your work commitment.

A good way to attract an artist is a story that grabs their interest. But the best way to attract an artist is seeing the writer's commitment to finish their stories.

As for your question; when you do partner up with an artist, ask and plan out details to help communicate clearly when creating a manga, doujin, etc.. If you want to ask and use my example to share details with the artist, that's fine. Whatever helps you out, that's what we are here for in MR. :thumbsup:

Offline Canislupus54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:40:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll post for an artist while also continuing my writing. Thanks again.

Offline suupertramp

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 06:35:06 AM »
If I may add my own opinion, an artist CAN work with probably anything they are given, but the less you give them, and the less details you specify, the more it will look like their own work, and possibly less like what you imagined. the advantage of giving more details therefore, is that you get what you want, and if you are paying an artist, you get what you pay for.

and as has been commented already, a specific artist may want a certain format or level of detail, which they will tell you when you inquire. so its up to them whether they will take your script as-is or not.