November 17, 2017, 09:48:05 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Why is DBZ so good?  (Read 157 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Why is DBZ so good?
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
From a writer's perspective, why is DBZ so good? No matter how much it's a childhood anime, and how much the fights are hype, why is it that from a writing perspective you don't totally insult the characters for being cliche? Even though it's the pioneer of the new shounen anime and manga, with DBZ Super the anime has still proven to be popular and worth the wait. I've found myself excited at the power-ups, even though I'm tired out by that 'cliche' in other shounen anime.

My theory is that because it's so honest and simple a shounen, it hits all the points that any shounen-anime-watcher wants to see. By being so predicteable, it's as timeless and fundamental as greek mythology. DBZ can be interpreted in a millions ways because of how simple it is and fun to watch.

But yeah, maybe it is just the hype of how popular it is and how well it got recieved in the west.

Thoughts?

Offline MadOxMalachi

• View Profile
Re: Why is DBZ so good?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:42:56 AM »
It has a great emotional beat and it pokes fun at the human condition, at human nature.

And as a thought experiment, compare a story you regard as high as dbz. You'll notice how similar their emotional beat is, and how often and what aspect of being human they commonly tease.

That's the secret sauce.

Offline Tzefa

• Spero Meliora
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »
I think a large part of it is the fact that for a lot of us it's also our introduction to shounen and it and a few others help codified the genre and the reason a lot of the cliches exist is in the first place is because of how popular and successful DBZ is. I normally hate tournament arcs but I enjoy DBZ and Yu Yu Hakushos Tournaments a lot

Offline suupertramp

• How to draw.....?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 02:47:21 PM »
i agree yuu yuu hakusho was also similar. im rewatching it now and its just great.
i also think the simplicity of DBZ makes it hard to criticize. a lot of shows try and put in really complicated emotional issues and psychological problems, that are easier to pick apart, but i dont think DBZ does that so much.
its possible we are also biased towards it because it is old :P

from a writers perspective (which i dont have), i would say perhaps its the difference of saying "my story has a tournament in it because thats what shounens have", to "having a tournament in the story seems like a logical development". in other words, dont have it there because others do. just write the story naturally and if you end up with certain elements then that because they are meant to be there.

perhaps thats the difference with the older shows. they had no need to copy other shows, partly because they weren't there to copy, but also because they were writing a proper story.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:51:33 PM by suupertramp »

Offline Manimal

• God of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Kanan Ball The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »
Dragon Ball Z is remarkable in it's ability to great a world with clearly defined characters, strengthens, power levels and such. No show has scale like DBZ. It's mocked for it's over long fights, but I feel it's to the strength of the series overall. The fights are long but you feel the scale, you feel the struggles and you feel the characters get stronger with all the training, and defeats etc.

No other show I've seen is like this, there is so much time on training. Fairy Tail fails in it's character development and scale. In the first run we see no training whatsoever, no "leveling up". But in DBZ whenever something big happens like the first Super Saiyan transformation it's amazing. It pays off so well because we've been watching it build all this time. The best moment in the series is indeed the first transformation. The fight with Frieza is such a long affair, but worth it. We can gather how strong Frieza is and how hopeless things are. So in the darkness moment when tides turn, it's truly one of those thrilling moments you know.

and think of all the stuff with Gohan, as I always say the Buu saga should of never happened. Goku should've died and left it to the next generation. Gohan was basically the lead character of DBZ, we see him go from wimp kid to surpassing his dad. It was the perfect ending, and a waste that it continued after. I mean I like the Buu saga, we got cool stuff out of it, but DBZ's build was to that moment when Gohan's potential was finally released, something we'd seen so many hints of previously.

DBZ also works because it can be really silly, it has enough comedy and coolness to work. A time for goofing off, and a time to get real. It's such a fun and engaging watch because of how much it inspires. That's why there's so much "could ___ beat ___" talk and such. There is simply so much the universe builds. It has it's flaws, and yes it plays by the tropes, but it just works. and nothing else has done it quite as well since.

Offline FrankieSutton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »
story buildup.

take for example....Gohan. 
right from the beginning of dbz, we are along side the Z-fighter, learning about his ability as he does. we watch him grow from cowardly/shy little guy...to the man you want maybe in front or aside of you fighting. 

and for goku, thru the story...he's not just a mindless fighter.  he's a husband, dad, friend, hero.  and you really care for him. 

i just liked how it wasn't a jarring transition between villians. 

Offline araithiel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:34:39 PM »
Am I allowed to provide a counter-view on why DBZ is very bad from a writing perspective? And in doing so hopefully bring clarity to the arguments on why it's good?
@nick on Wattpad