December 12, 2017, 07:08:12 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: What is the format/medium of a manga story?  (Read 229 times)

Offline SauceBrune

• This is personal...
    • View Profile
What is the format/medium of a manga story?
« on: September 23, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Hello everyone, i've been looking on youtube and in the forum as well, all i can find on "the basics" are basically tips and "suggestions" on how to start, but here i am, with my idea, and i cant find anywhere, the format/medium of a manga story.

For a book you just go with a variant of an essay.
For movies you go with scripts.
For animation you go with storyboard.

What is the medium/format of a manga?
Do i just start drawing "squares" on a sheet and write the story?
how do you guys do it?

Note: I have'nt fully searched the forum, so if there's the answer anywhere in it, just send me to it.
Thank you in advance for the answers and you're time.
And finaly please excuse my vocabulary as im not a native english speaker.

Offline Hikari

• Gambler
  • Sage of NET
    • View Profile
Re: What is the format/medium of a manga story?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
Id suggest starting with either a script or a novel formatted chapter. Once you have that you can start up a “Name” which is the storyboard. In this you can plan out your panels as well as do some basic sketches of the characters with their speech bubbles. There is a topic called “Storyboards for beginners” made by a guy called KagePen that might help if you are unsure on the whole storyboard thingy.

After that it’s the manuscript. This is your final draft that will have fully detailed characters and backgrounds. Actual mangaka use this method so that they can show the editor their work before they get it all set up, this allows changes to be made if necessary.

Hope all that made sense. Good luck ;)

P.S If you’ve got the time, look up a manga (anime if you want) called Bakuman. It goes into a lot of detail in the first few episodes about how a manga is made... and it’s a really good show to boot

Offline SauceBrune

• This is personal...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »
Thanks a lot Hikari, that's what i needed.

Will be looking bakuman for sure. TY TY

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:51:31 PM »
Do you have pinterest? Always use pinterest if you're sorely looking for inspiration and such.

Also check out this Inoue Takehiko interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-dn4jpYe0o

If  you can take away anything, then I'd suggest for just 1 saturday, any saturday where you have 10 minutes to spare... Go to a nearby coffee shop, order a coffee and try drawing a storyboard as you drink. Don't think of making a complete manga or a complete page or even something that makes sense. Just try to make some squares and add some stick figures that speak to eachother, then go back home.

As Takehiko sensei says...'Humans are weak.' You'll find that being away from your homespace will be really beneficial to your creativity. At least I hope haha

Offline SauceBrune

• This is personal...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
Sorry for the late response, never knew pinterest would be a source, and will definetly be looking for a quick draw at random palces... Thanks a lot.

Offline YoUr EyEs

• Leader of the {CONTANT PAIN AT GROUND ZERO}?•?
  • ?Heart Shaker?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
It changes depending on what you want to show in the panels, dunno if that will help but, it is easier to study the way a manga is done with one that you are reading~