April 18, 2024, 11:36:27 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Worldbuilding Project  (Read 2989 times)

Offline TheClayMaker

• Because Topics are Dumb...
  • Walking demotivation...
    • View Profile
Worldbuilding Project
« on: September 09, 2017, 11:00:36 PM »
So, now that I have a functioning laptop again, I'm going to begin uploading various worldbuilding info regarding a new project I'm working on. Feel free to leave comments and ask questions.

Beginnings

Over ninety years ago, the first Metahumans appeared. They quickly adopted the roles of heroes, protecting ordinary citizens from the dangers of the world. However, the government soon began recruiting Metahumans to join a new organisation called the Centralized Metahuman Taskforce. As time went on, the organisation simply became the Taskforce. The government then passed several laws restricting what was referred to as “vigilante” activity. Metahumans were no longer allowed to be heroes without joining the Taskforce. A law called the Bystander Act was passed that specifically prevented Metahumans from using their powers unless to specifically protect their own lives. This was followed up with a law saying that the government reserved the right to draft Metahumans into the Taskforce. The combination of these actions led to many once-loved heroes becoming villains in the eyes of the law.

Offline bandile

• King of Manga Writing
    • View Profile
Re: Worldbuilding Project
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 04:33:11 PM »
Thats a  good plot why dont you turn that into a story

Offline TheClayMaker

• Because Topics are Dumb...
  • Walking demotivation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
That's the plan, eventually. I'm stuck in a situation where I have a world with a few characters but no story. I'm hoping that doing this will give me a bit of inspiration for a story.

Offline IndecisiveChild

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:30:06 PM »
A very well detailed and structured world, I'd like to see how it unfolds as a story.
A joureny of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Offline aexiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:02:51 PM »
I think you should start by focusing on your MC's history, like how he became a metahuman or discovered he was one then branch out from there. You don't need a lot of characters to make your story great. Give them a sense of humanity (irony) like how he felt when he got his powers, whether he hid them or went to authorities or was forced into it, it's your call. Ground yourself in one character at a time, the world will fill in the gaps itself the more you progress.

Offline Fortis Scriptor

• Senior bucket bearer on the sinking ship of writing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 05:22:00 AM »
Hello Toxic, welcome to the heaven and or hell that is world building, I should know I spent the past year doing little else as far as writing is concerned.

First off I'd like to say I quite enjoy the concept for a setting.

So allow me to start shooting off some questions like a machine gun.

First question, probably the most important. Are you building a world, or a universe?

Is this Earth, or some other world? (Insert fantasy world name A, B, or C. For instance my world is called Mithra)

What time period is this? Are we looking at assault rifles and computers, muskets and ships of the line, swords and castles, etc.

Of the characters you have, do you have any potential MC's?

Some interesting points brought up by aexiel as far as the Metahumans are concerned. What in the hell made these guys be so drawn to becoming 'heroes' the average person whether they live in a world with magic or light speed travelling spacecraft they aren't all that prone to just becoming 'heroes.' I mean these Metahumans are still people right? In general the sort of fantasy hero, which then evolves into a super hero in a more modern setting (Which is what I'm assuming here) typically there is motivation from the individuals not just a genetic instinct, A pretty straight forward answer (If it does have to do with the group) is usually they're creations of whatever deity is around in the world (Which by the way you open your description makes me think this may be the case), for instance within Christian mythology the Angels, God's soldiers are pretty much heroes who were built for that express purpose of kicking demonic and fallen angel ass.

If they aren't divine demi-gods or something akin to the Amazons, I am curious as to how the Metahumans came to be the way they are.

To use another example from my own world, the sort of heroic type group/race (And by heroic I mean they're the best soldiers in their home nation) The Haragladians are an old race which now resides in one of the most powerful empire's in my world. Originally they had their own kingdom which their race was the dominant group of the populace, but through some incredibly bloody wars in the middle ages the Haragladian race was cut to ribbons and the few that survived came out with a hardcore, Spartan-like subculture. They live and breath to serve their Emperor, they're about as heroic as you can get and have some superhuman capabilities as well (It's what makes them such great warriors.) So now when you get to the modern day, the tiny group of Haragladians that remain are born and raised on the tales of their forefathers fighting and dying for their country as heroes of the Empire, and they get groomed by their culture to follow in their footsteps becoming soldiers themselves.

Moving on, what sort of government are we looking at for this nation, is this an empire, a republic? The innerworkings of the Taskforce can make for a formidable world all on its own and an interesting and intriguing one for your characters to navigate at that.

I could rattle off more but I don't want to overload your brain with too many questions. I look forward to seeing this world unfold and develop, and I look forward even more to the stories you discover within that world, it's pretty kickass. Though I would warn you that you may get bogged down with a lot of ideas if your not careful. (Definitely not speaking from experience there, heh heh heh...)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 05:51:49 AM »
sounds like a good basis for a story (I mean Boku no Hero Academia comes to mind as similar), but as Fortis says, make sure you pin down the specifics, which will help to make a more realistic/believable story. 
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!