November 15, 2018, 10:25:23 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Churro's Attempts At Music  (Read 569 times)

Offline MissChurro

• ~Queen of Kawaii~
    • View Profile
Churro's Attempts At Music
« on: August 29, 2017, 10:16:22 PM »
Hey guys!! I've been having an awful art block, so instead of trying to draw, I've picked up an interest in music over the summer. Specifically, Vaporwave and chill beats. I just finished the first half of my first piece, UNREQUITED, for my first album called "False Memories." It's far from perfect and definitely not Vaporwave-y enough for my liking, but I'd like to go ahead and post it and get some feedback on how I can improve it! Without further ado, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-856039164/unrequited

(Made in GarageBand on Mac)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Churro's Attempts At Music
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:06:46 PM »
It's not bad for a freshman effort (not that I really know a thing about music, don't listen to me). I agree it could use a little more vapor. There is also this steep change between instruments, especially in the first half. Feels like the drum beat is coming in too harsh. Keeps it from gelling as well with the chilled out groove.

I do like the dialogue insert. Although maybe put something soft in the background? Again, it feels like too big a' change from what's on either side. Needs something to ease it in and out.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 01:02:29 AM »
Not bad. I can dig. Where are the drums from? They sound quite well recorded in contrast with the monologue.

Also, nice Linn Minmay profile pic of course.

Offline MissChurro

• ~Queen of Kawaii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
It's not bad for a freshman effort (not that I really know a thing about music, don't listen to me). I agree it could use a little more vapor. There is also this steep change between instruments, especially in the first half. Feels like the drum beat is coming in too harsh. Keeps it from gelling as well with the chilled out groove.

I do like the dialogue insert. Although maybe put something soft in the background? Again, it feels like too big a' change from what's on either side. Needs something to ease it in and out.

Thanks, Coryn! You're totally right. I'll play around with it and try to get a smoother transition! ^^

Not bad. I can dig. Where are the drums from? They sound quite well recorded in contrast with the monologue.

Also, nice Linn Minmay profile pic of course.

Thanks, man! I used the Garageband drum assist synthesizer for the base beat and then added my own kicks and snares because I didn't want to rely entirely on a synthesizer. When I redo it, I'm going to try to make the drums 100% myself and not use the pre-made beats at all, but I've still got some learning to do wih the program first. ;)

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • Good 'Ol Poika
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
More MR music oh ya!

I know nothing about making electro tunes but I can say you present some cool ideas in this track, especially with it's two segments linked with the spoken word. I agree with Corn, if there was an underlining background sound it would connect things very well. The drums in the second half also feel like they connect with the synth but at times it feels a little odd to me, in a way I can't quite explain. It's also the sound and volume of them as well. I feel another keyboard part would work well there also.

Still this is a solid first attempt! Just keep making things and trying different things and soon enough you'll find a groove. The music making world is very fun.