December 12, 2017, 10:36:19 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: CORAL - A sci-fi short story  (Read 190 times)

Offline devola

• View Profile
CORAL - A sci-fi short story
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
Hey guys, trying my hand at a sci-fi short story, I will be including pictures to go along with this. Please let me know if the synopsis seems interesting and if there is anything I can do to improve it!

Working Title: CORAL

--Synopsis--

The year is 2044, the internet has been rebuilt to run on a human neural network called CORAL. CORAL's servers are hosted by human minds, and each individual is given an augmentation at birth called EYE that connects them to the neural network. The story follows a girl named Niyon, a hacker part of a group called EXE.Cutive. She specializes in diving into CORAL and retrieving illegal information.

During a fairly routine hack, Niyon discovers that her long since dead mother is inside the CORAL network, and "alive". She discovers a rare phenomenon called GHOSTING, an instance of the CORAL network memorizing the individuals actions and replicating it inside the system. These GHOSTS inside CORAL all behave like real human beings, but they no longer have bodies and are just copies of the originals. The CORAL system is reconstructing dead humans based on their actions inside the network, rebuilding them from the words they used to post on social media, and the websites they visited.

Due to the nature of their return, without their original bodies and inside unfamiliar territory, these GHOSTS are understandably disoriented and panicked. They begin possessing machines to search for answers. Join Niyon, her mom Nissa and the EXE.cutives as they dive into the mysterious CORAL network and learn why GHOSTS of long dead people are coming back to "life".

--Synopsis End--

So obviously I was heavily inspired by Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiments Lain, but rather than follow the heavy handed philosophical aspects of Ghost in the Shell and the super dark nature of Lain, I decided to take a turn and go for a more upbeat and fun exploration into what makes someone a human. Questions I asked while writing this were stuff like:

If the copy is indistinguishable from the original, and the original is no longer around, is the copy effectively the original?

Ship of Theseus, problem applied to humans. If we replace every part of you 1 by 1, when do you stop being YOU and start being someone else?

What is consciousness?

I am particularly excited to write about the relationship Niyon will develop with her mom, I'm looking forward to writing this so please let me know if the concept is interesting and if there is anything I can improve!

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: CORAL - A sci-fi short story
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »

The concept is cool enough to read in manga or anime format. I don't know about novel or short story. I hate reading grandpa books.   

Again, this is an interesting idea, but i hope you read on contemporary philosophical theories so you aren't regurgitating  ideas that are already 20+ years old.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »
Ah yeah, I get what you mean. I am treading on some familiar territory here philosophically, but I'm hoping to dive into the emotional aspect of it a bit more than the actual philosophy of it. Lain and Ghost in the Shell handled the philosophical stuff far more aptly than I ever could and I'm not sure if I could bring anything new to the table honestly. Will definitely brush up on my philosophy though!

Oh yeah, as for format, I think you're right about this being better as a short manga. I'm thinking of the story visually rather than in text, I have this really neon sci-fi inspired look in my head and I'm already drawing the characters haha
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:04:42 PM by devola »

Offline FinGeek12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 12:56:49 AM »
I would watch it. It seems interesting. Especially if it haves upbeat nature as we already have to darker stories about the subject. It would be something new.