September 20, 2017, 05:47:10 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Guns! [Pistols]  (Read 196 times)

Offline Branden

• View Profile
Guns! [Pistols]
« on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:51 PM »
I am making these to help out anyone that's trying to learn how to draw firearms. As of the time I write this, I am terrible at tutorials and have no clue for how far I want this to go, but I'll do my best.

What is a pistol?

(Credit to Andrew Helenek and Puffin's "Orochi" on Steam)

According to google, a pistol is "a small firearm designed to be held in one hand." Basically, they're smaller shooty-shooty devices and can be easily used even with only one hand.
For the sake of simplicity, there are two types of pistols: semi-automatics, and revolvers. The easiest way to differentiate them from each other is that revolvers are the things that cowboys use at high noon.
This post will cover semi-automatics.

Exhibit A. This is a Glock-type pistol, and is one of the most simple to draw.

I say this is the most simple because the slide (see the image below) is just a long box with many smaller boxes within it. The grip is a bit more complex, but still very possible.

I've highlighted the most basic parts of the pistol here, but a quick Google-image search of "parts of a handgun" might do more justice. (Please excuse my handwriting.)

From left to right
1. The two most basic shapes to structure a pistol is 2 rectangles. One is flat and long, the other is near the end and slanted slightly away.
2. Add a triangle to the back of the grip-rectangle. Put lines where the trigger guard should be, and make a little curve for the trigger. Put a line about 1/3 up from the bottom of the long rectangle.
3. Detail the gun. Round out the triangle to make the grip look more comfortable. The ejection port should be about right above the trigger.

Drawing at different angles involves the same process, but taking into account perspective. Tilt the rectangles together, but the structure should remain the same, as shown.

Practicing the most simple iterations of guns is good practice for getting the foundation for more complicated designs, because once you have the basics, it's all just a matter of adding details.

There are thousands of pistols in our world, so I CANNOT stress this enough:
DRAWING FROM REFERENCE IS NOT CHEATING. Since there are so many different pistols, all you need to do is pick one you like and find a reference for it, then try to draw it. Glocks and Colts may have the same basic shape, but they have a huge number of differences in details.
If you think professionals make guns/mechanical creations from memory, you're crazy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:58:57 PM by Branden »

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
Re: Guns! [Pistols]
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:05:21 PM »
I don't know much about guns. I just know they make a loud noise :-\.

Let's say you want to draw a gun that is not real. What fundamental rules must be followed so it doesn't look like this?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:30:52 PM by Forlorn Serpent »
No actual link
self-publishmycomic.com

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 11:22:03 PM »
That's a really good question, I'm interested in this as well. I want to design my own guns.

Offline Branden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:23:02 PM »
Depends on what you're asking for.
Not real as in
-fake? (ie airsoft or nerf)
-futuristic? (ie a plasma rifle)
-rickety and makeshift? (thrown together out of disposable parts)

or just different?

Offline Branden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:53:42 PM »
You can design your own guns with sheer creativity, or from inspiration from pre-existing models, but I believe one of the more important things in doing so is knowing
1. how a firearm functions
2. the parts of a firearm

You can condense making your own guns into making sure the pistol has a handful of things:
-a grip
-a slide

One way to make yourself set it apart is by knowing what you want to make of it.
When you think of "sleek," you imagine rounder shapes and smooth design overall.
Meanwhile, when you look at something like a "hand cannon," you imagine something big, bulky, and heavy. It looks cumbersome, and feels heavy to hold.

(Please bear with me, tutorials are a new thing for me.)

Online Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 01:23:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Otq8TmDBM

Knock yourselves out with this one  ;) You can learn a lot about design just by watching a variety of guns shoot and handle.
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”